The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

41 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I see for two reasons.  One he just won't sign here unless we grossly overpay him in both dollars and term.  And two we get an offer that is so good we can't say no.  What if the Loser Leafs offered Marner (2 million retention)?

Marner's a typical Leaf that doesn't play P/O hockey.  Yuck!  What were you thinking, Alf?

• Cheers 1

At this point I think Miller has priced himself out of the market, especially with teams simply not willing to give up A+ pieces. If teams aren't willing to give up their top prospects for a player in the top ten in scoring that can play all 3 forward positions, play the PK, the PP, has a great faceoff percentage, is in his prime, and will give you at the very least 2 chances at winning a cup, then screw it, bite the bullet and get him resigned. The contract will be ugly, but I'd rather have another 5 or so years of prime level Miller followed by another 3 or so years of Miller in decline than move him now if all we're able to get in return is scraps.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

At this point I think Miller has priced himself out of the market, especially with teams simply not willing to give up A+ pieces. If teams aren't willing to give up their top prospects for a player in the top ten in scoring that can play all 3 forward positions, play the PK, the PP, has a great faceoff percentage, is in his prime, and will give you at the very least 2 chances at winning a cup, then screw it, bite the bullet and get him resigned. The contract will be ugly, but I'd rather have another 5 or so years of prime level Miller followed by another 3 or so years of Miller in decline than move him now if all we're able to get in return is scraps.

I feel this way too. The last Toronto report had me cracking up with 3 untouchable prospects. Listen. Miller is a center that's top 10 in scoring. Plays in all situations and is 53% in the dot and is on a dream contract for another 1.5 years to boot.

When a buddy of mine ask me realistically what I wanted for Miller I asked him what he would want for Marner.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It's more likely to be the reverse. Miller will be 30.5 when he plays the first game of his next contract. Most forwards peak in their mid to late 20's, and then start fading. He might even be "in decline" at some level right from the start.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It's more likely to be the reverse. Miller will be 30.5 when he plays the first game of his next contract. Most forwards peak in their mid to late 20's, and then start fading. He might even be "in decline" at some level right from the start.

Miller is just hitting his stride now. Guys like Boeser who peaked at 20 decline early. 33-35 year old Miller is still gonna be a beast in the league with multiple cup rings. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

I feel this way too. The last Toronto report had me cracking up with 3 untouchable prospects. Listen. Miller is a center that's top 10 in scoring. Plays in all situations and is 53% in the dot and is on a dream contract for another 1.5 years to boot.

When a buddy of mine ask me realistically what I wanted for Miller I asked him what he would want for Marner.

With a player of Miller's caliber, there really shouldn't be many "untouchable prospects", and yet every team interested seemingly has two or three. If the potential returns are as crap as the folks on HF would have us believe, extracting maximum value from the situation would most likely mean resigning him.

47 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Miller is just hitting his stride now. Guys like Boeser who peaked at 20 decline early. 33-35 year old Miller is still gonna be a beast in the league with multiple cup rings. 

The Rangers are going to win the next two cups?  

At this point, trading Miller would go against everything management has said about wanting speed and skill. 

Millers the best PWF centre in the league. We’ve been needing a player like this for decades, and we’ve got one, in his prime to boot. The return we would get wouldn’t be sufficient enough. Miller is an all around player, and one of the most completed, well rounded forwards of the entire league. 

Guys like Miller will prove to be more valuable than the McDavids, the Marners and Matthews, especially in the playoffs.

We won’t be able to afford Miller Boeser and Horvat. I’m fine with moving either Boeser or Horvat to address other areas, but simply put, unless Miller does not want to sign here, we give him 8x8.5 and build the team around him.

Its all up to Miller. I really hope he resigns with us. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Odd. said:

At this point, trading Miller would go against everything management has said about wanting speed and skill. 

Millers the best PWF centre in the league. We’ve been needing a player like this for decades, and we’ve got one, in his prime to boot. The return we would get wouldn’t be sufficient enough. Miller is an all around player, and one of the most completed, well rounded forwards of the entire league. 

Guys like Miller will prove to be more valuable than the McDavids, the Marners and Matthews, especially in the playoffs.

We won’t be able to afford Miller Boeser and Horvat. I’m fine with moving either Boeser or Horvat to address other areas, but simply put, unless Miller does not want to sign here, we give him 8x8.5 and build the team around him.

For that contract Miller would definitely re-sign with us.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

we give him 8x8.5 and build the team around him.

8 years is a long time to start paying a 30 year old $8.5. Miller will be 30 when his current contract ends.

I'm thinking 5 years x $9m, but I agree they should re-sign him and build around him.  Then when Miller is older (34-35) and coming to the end of his contract, Petey will take over as the guy in his prime to lead the team to another championship  I'm hoping Miller gets us one.

Boeser and Garland are the guys who should be traded.  

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

8 years is a long time to start paying a 30 year old $8.5. Miller will be 30 when his current contract ends.

I'm thinking 5 years x $9m, but I agree they should re-sign him and build around him.  Then when Miller is older (34-35) and coming to the end of his contract, Petey will take over as the guy in his prime to lead the team to another championship  I'm hoping Miller gets us one.

Boeser and Garland are the guys who should be traded.  

Maybe this time to the TDL is being used by PA and JR to figure out exactly which guys to build around.  Clearly they all love Demko, and Hughes.  Petey is looking like he's back to being great, and even better.  I wonder if Bo could be included in with Boeser, and Garland as potential trade chips to clear cap and bring in prospects and picks?

3 hours ago, hammertime said:

I see Miller's career arc as similar to Blake Wheeler's. Wheeler was still effective in his early 30's, but quickly became overpaid.

• Cheers 1

Miller is probably going to be looking for a 7-8 year deal on his next contract, but given his age, I'd much prefer a 5-year deal or something around 4-5 years. That said, if he maintains his current level especially if he does it for another year, he'll be able to command around $9M per year I'd say. He's current on pace for over 90 points, which is not something I thought he was capable of. I'm scared of a 7-8 year deal, but if we could work a 4-5 year deal, I'd be okay with that. However, as others have implied that would involve letting something else big go--either a lot of our depth, or one of the big guys like Horvat or Boeser.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

I see Miller's career arc as similar to Blake Wheeler's. Wheeler was still effective in his early 30's, but quickly became overpaid.

Which creates the discussion of who do we keep? Miller, Boeser or Horvat? For cap reasons, we can keep only two of the three. Just me, but I keep Miller over either one of the other two guys. I've got no qualms with signing Miller to a 4-5 year deal...maybe 6 at the very most. No more than that. And this may be a little sacrilegious, but I'm keeping Boeser over Bo. I know this creates a center vacancy, but...I don't like the arc Bo seems to be entering here. His production is slipping a little, and he just doesn't seem to be as engaged lately. He's got time to put it back together, but...

Of course, just as soon as we trade either BB or BH, they go on a tear somewhere else. That would be consistent with the luck of the 'Nucks. 

7 hours ago, Odd. said:

Where were the leagues best PWF centre before he came here? 
Don’t you think he would have shown that before?

Here he has the amasing Hughes. Take away Hughes and Millers production will fall of a cliff. 

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Where were the leagues best PWF centre before he came here? 
Don’t you think he would have shown that before?

Here he has the amasing Hughes. Take away Hughes and Millers production will fall of a cliff. 

Shut up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1