The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

40 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Never mind it's frankly asinine to equate the two players.

If you've got a plumbing leak in your home that requires a certain set of tools and parts, you don't bypass the proper tools and parts for some random stuff you had in the garage and some tree sap from your yard because they're 'free'. Johansson, while certainly a decent player in his own right, does not do the things they acquired Miller for.

Agreed.  They're both solid complimentary players who can contribute in the top-6 but that's about as far as I would say they are alike.  I don't dislike Johansson but Miller has shown that he can play the body as well as contribute on the score sheet.

If the rumors are true that GMJB accepted the initial ask for Miller then that's a bit concerning but, at the same time, maybe that happened because the asking price for like players has been even higher and that seemed like a fair price.  Even then, doesn't mean that the Canucks should have waited for Johansson to hit UFA before trading for Miller.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm glad Benning was assertive with the Miller signing. He knew who he wanted and he went and got him, before anyone else could make a serious offer. It would've been peretty sad if Benning played the patience game and wound up not being able to sign anyone good, or severly overpaying for a UFA not worthy of his salary. I'm looking at you Loui lol  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Agreed.  They're both solid complimentary players who can contribute in the top-6 but that's about as far as I would say they are alike.  I don't dislike Johansson but Miller has shown that he can play the body as well as contribute on the score sheet.

If the rumors are true that GMJB accepted the initial ask for Miller then that's a bit concerning but, at the same time, maybe that happened because the asking price for like players has been even higher and that seemed like a fair price.  Even then, doesn't mean that the Canucks should have waited for Johansson to hit UFA before trading for Miller.

I'm not at all concerned about what the initial ask was for Miller. All that matters is does the trade serve a useful purpose for the team, and was the price we paid grossly unreasonable or not?

Now there's no way that we were going to get a player of that age and quality for significantly less than what we paid. And as for whether or not it was a good move to make....well, a couple of years ago I would have said WTF!!!

But now, with the emergence of Petey and Brock, the development of Bo and the tantalizing glimpse we've had of Quinn, along with all the other young talent that is ripening even as we speak, things are different.

That first round pick is not likely to do anything for us for at least some years. In the mean time, pretty soon we are going to be paying real money for our currently cheap young stars, and we will be facing the same problems teams like the Jets and Leafs are having right now. Our window is opening right now.

The addition of Miller just perfectly filled in a big hole near the top left corner of the puzzle, and now you can actually see the picture - and it's starting to look pretty!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Article in the paper today, by Patrick Johnston. I just skimmed it, because it's garbage writing, but he was basically saying that Benning should've waited and signed Marcus Johansson instead of Miller, because Johansson is a bit cheaper and sigend for less term. And he was a free agent, didn't cost any picks. Of course, this is all hindsite and who knows if Johansson would've still been around. Benning had to sign a real good top 6 guy fast, before anyone else could get him (Miller). 

Miller hasn't even played a game here yet. Why does the media always do that? After a trade or signing happens, they negatively pick it apart. Johnasson signed with BUF already, so why go back and say Benning should've done this and that?  Canucks have Miller, and most of the fans are happy about this. Deal with it Johnston.  

Wow...patrick johnston sure is a moron.

Marcus Johansson is about 1/3 the player JT Miller is. That includes Johan being a bunch smaller and has had about half the points JT Miller does in a season (ok a bit more than half).

JT Miller is a legit 1st liner and Johansson is a 3rd liner.

johnston....another crap sports reporter in vancouver.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 2

You really can't compare the two.  I see what he is saying about the cost to get Miller, and it was high. I think Johansson is a good player in his own right but clearly JB was looking for size and grit along with skill, which makes JT the better fit.  The two aren't really that much difference in weight, but Miller plays a far heavier game.

• Upvote 2

I was firmly on the belief the line up would shake out as below:

Ferland  Petey Boeser

Pearson  Horvat  JT Miller

But maybe this would work well:

JT Miller  Petey  Boeser

Ferland  Horvat  Pearson

Miller is apparently an excellent puck distributor and you have two 35 goals scorers in Petey and Boerser.  Miller is a big body and could end up being a real good fit on this line.

It all depends on whether Ferland or Pearson can play on the right I guess.

Hurry up summer and be done already!!!

Edit: I suppose you could also do:

Ferland  Petey  JT Miller

Pearson  Horvat  Boeser

Lots of choices for Green this year that does not involve stuffing a 3rd liner in the top 6. Baer is still around to so maybe he gets a shot.

I still think Baer ends up getting traded for help on D but who knows.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

On 7/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Article in the paper today, by Patrick Johnston. I just skimmed it, because it's garbage writing, but he was basically saying that Benning should've waited and signed Marcus Johansson instead of Miller, because Johansson is a bit cheaper and sigend for less term. And he was a free agent, didn't cost any picks. Of course, this is all hindsite and who knows if Johansson would've still been around. Benning had to sign a real good top 6 guy fast, before anyone else could get him (Miller). 

Miller hasn't even played a game here yet. Why does the media always do that? After a trade or signing happens, they negatively pick it apart. Johnasson signed with BUF already, so why go back and say Benning should've done this and that?  Canucks have Miller, and most of the fans are happy about this. Deal with it Johnston.  

On 7/9/2019 at 9:05 AM, aGENT said:

Never mind it's frankly asinine to equate the two players.

If you've got a plumbing leak in your home that requires a certain set of tools and parts, you don't bypass the proper tools and parts for some random stuff you had in the garage and some tree sap from your yard because they're 'free'. Johansson, while certainly a decent player in his own right, does not do the things they acquired Miller for.

Johnston is just pointing out the value in/value out ratio. Johansson certainly isn't the same player, but if you can get him on your terms without giving up any assets, it's something worth exploring. Less commitment 

The idea is definitely spitballing though, as we have no idea if Johansson had any interest in coming here or if adding another suitor to the mix would have driven the price up. And whether the fit would be as good is another question as well. The other side is Miller will help the team for sure,  and even if the price to get him wasn't completely unreasonable, it would be very nice to have those extra assets as well (or at least the 1st).

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Johnston is just pointing out the value in/value out ratio. Johansson certainly isn't the same player, but if you can get him on your terms without giving up any assets, it's something worth exploring. Less commitment 

The idea is definitely spitballing though, as we have no idea if Johansson had any interest in coming here or if adding another suitor to the mix would have driven the price up. And whether the fit would be as good is another question as well. The other side is Miller will help the team for sure,  and even if the price to get him wasn't completely unreasonable, it would be very nice to have those extra assets as well (or at least the 1st).

Johansson is older and can't stay healthy. Signing him would have been a short term/half-ass attempt to address LW.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, canuckistani said:

Except it’s not a first rounder for just short term gain. It was for a player who has 3 consecutive 20 goal seasons , playing on the second/third line, who has killed penalties before decently, can play any forward position, non perimeter type,is in his mid 20s and signed for 4 more years at a contract just a shade over 5 million, aka 1/16 of the cap. That’s extremely good value for a non lottery pick. Far bigger risks are taken via 1st round trades. Banning has not sacrificed the future for his own contract imo. 

Great post. It was an excellent trade.  Some anti JB posters will never understand it because of their irrational hatred for JB. Some of them even want to see the team tank just so JB gets fired.

Pathetic really.  Fans?  I think not.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Great post. It was an excellent trade.  Some anti JB posters will never understand it because of their irrational hatred for JB. Some of them even want to see the team tank just so JB gets fired.

Pathetic really.  Fans?  I think not.

The Miller trade to Tampa Bay is akin to trading Horvat for a 1st because of cap constraints.

Imagine how the Benning haters would’ve reacted then...

Edited by Me_

On 7/4/2019 at 11:56 PM, Pepe Silvia said:

PP1 
                                [```````````]        HORVAT

MILLER          

BOESER                                        PETTERSSON

HUGHES

Unpopular opinion, but I really don't like Horvat on the goal line. I'd try Miller there and have Ferland in the middle. Miller can take draws as well.

Put Horvat on the 2nd unit.

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Unpopular opinion, but I really don't like Horvat on the goal line. I'd try Miller there and have Ferland in the middle. Miller can take draws as well.

Put Horvat on the 2nd unit.

That won't happen.  Green would not disrespect Horvat by putting in a new player on the #1 pp over him when they haven't proven anything yet with the Canucks. It would be one thing if they were head and shoulders better than Horvat then maybe......but they are not so it ain't gonna happen. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That won't happen.  Green would not disrespect Horvat by putting in a new player on the #1 pp over him when they haven't proven anything yet with the Canucks. It would be one thing if they were head and shoulders better than Horvat then maybe......but they are not so it ain't gonna happen. 

Feelings are not an option... Canucks were 21st i believe in pp percentage, if someone jumps in and our power play is improved then they go with it. Horvat is a pro and not going to worry about 2nd unit power play if they are winning more.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Feelings are not an option... Canucks were 21st i believe in pp percentage, if someone jumps in and our power play is improved then they go with it. Horvat is a pro and not going to worry about 2nd unit power play if they are winning more.

Still won't happen.  

Horvat would have to lose the spot. They are not putting in a new guy without even seeing how they play.  Pretty simple.

And you can say feelings are not an option all you want.  Established players on NHL teams do get respect and typically are not just tossed aside. You must know this.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Still won't happen.  

Horvat would have to lose the spot. They are not putting in a new guy without even seeing how they play.  Pretty simple.

And you can say feelings are not an option all you want.  Established players on NHL teams do get respect and typically are not just tossed aside. You must know this.

Yeah i wasn't thinking opening night by any stretch. I would bet if they are in the lowest tier of pp that things will change until it improves. They already had Horvat in a lot of different 2nd line pp combinations last year so i'm not sure this year will be any different until they find success.

• Cheers 1

On 7/21/2019 at 2:33 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

So true.

Comparing JT Miller with Johansson is bush league. That "reporter" is a joke.

JT Miller and Johannson are very comparable actually, both are swiss army knife players who can play all three forward positions and have similar production minus the recent injury history. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

JT Miller and Johannson are very comparable actually, both are swiss army knife players who can play all three forward positions and have similar production minus the recent injury history. 

I agree, they are comparable players in regards to their diversity as forwards but Miller is younger and can play in the dirty areas BUT thrive there, unlike Johansson who is more of a perimeter player, often on the receiving end of big hits (see below) and he has a concussion history, which you seem to have alluded to.

Ferland! So stoked about the physical element he will bring to the nucks on a nightly basis.

Also, this is a sample of what Miller can bring during a playoff game/series, whereas this is non-existent in Johansson's game.

I for one am glad GMJB went after Miller instead of Johannson, despite the fact we gave up a 1st rounder (unknown commodity). At least we have a solid idea as to what Miller can bring to our lineup immediately and for years to come.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2