The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.T. Miller | #9 | C/W

tan

1 hour ago, Phat Fingers said:

With the way Miller plays, I would sign him.  This isn’t Loui Player Name we’re talking about it’s JT &^@#ing Miller.  This guy plays the way I want Podz to play,  JT is our best Power Forward since Bertuzzi.  

Where would we be right now with out JT Miller and who do we replace him with?  

Rutherford will make moves and if JT is gone, it better be for a kings ransom, he has been a much better player than anyone expected when JB dealt for him.  

Kinda love the forwards atm, Bruce has let them lose, Petey is still clutching a bit tight, but with Demko and this team, playing the way it was built to play, fast counter attacking and activating the defence, it has worked. 

Don’t know why or what Green couldn’t get out of the same crew, but there is some exciting hockey being  played in the last few games and it has made it easier for our defence.  

it’s what I thought was the plan from pre season, but it failed horribly and now it’s all new again.  

playoffs, 4 points out atm.  

Those two words are just it though, "right now". Where are we "right now"? Even with a five game winning streak we're still talking about trying to make it to .500, even with Miller in the group the odds are still against our making the playoffs.

I was having this conversation with a friend of mine yesterday as he was gushing about how we're chasing the playoffs and how we're four points out. Yes, we are. But the teams we're chasing have games in hand, our chasing is reliant on our staying healthy, we've still got to win at a hectic pace, and we have to win the large majority of our divisional games to even have a chance. It's not as simple as being four points out. I understand the relief that's come with winning and organizational change, but this winning streak won't last forever and this team has yet to really face any adversity under Boudreau. Yes, we came back against Columbus but we were clearly the better team last game, goaltending aside. 

Even with Miller we're still a fringe playoff team at best. That's why "right now" matters, because "right now" may not be where management sees our competitive window being in. We've been watching entertaining hockey, the mood around the organization has changed. That's awesome, I'm happy for the guys. But it's not likely to last. Could it? Absolutely, but it'd require a lot of luck and a helluva heater. 

If we come up on the trade deadline and things have fizzled out they absolutely need to consider moving Miller and Boeser, sentiment be damned. I understand he's a fan favourite and I've had this debate with folks who are adamantly against moving him, but in my eyes no single player is worth more than the future. And if management sees our window being a little further down the road, or believes they can extend that window by shipping a guy out, I'm unopposed to almost any player being moved out. Hockey's a business, players move every year.  

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Shekky said:

Team is really alive now Miller was mic'd up for the game here's the video I find it interesting the interactions the players have.

Looks like a divided room if I've ever seen one. Do you think Miller is on team Horvat or team Miller?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If we come up on the trade deadline and things have fizzled out they absolutely need to consider moving Miller and Boeser, sentiment be damned. 

And if we haven't fizzled and go on a bit of a run, I'm equally open to waiting and seeing what his intentions are this summer when we're eligible to extend him.

Does he sign a super team-friendly 4x$6.75m +/- extension?  He might be welcome to hang around then. Does he intend to test free agency? We'd explore trade options then and there in that case IMO.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And if we haven't fizzled and go on a bit of a run, I'm equally open to waiting and seeing what his intentions are this summer when we're eligible to extend him.

Does he sign a super team-friendly 4x$6.75m +/- extension?  He might be welcome to hang around then. Does he intend to test free agency? We'd explore trade options then and there in that case IMO.

Yup, if they're still in it I simply can't see him being moved. But yeah, I'd be exploring where he's at by season's end and considering moving him at the draft/prior to it if it doesn't sound like we're in his future plans. 

Maybe he does sign a deal like that, but I personally doubt it. But what do I know? All I can do is speculate and pay attention to what goes on around the league.

Bottom line is I don't think we can afford to lose him for nothing though, it'd hurt our lineup and our prospect pool. Not getting picks, prospects, or roster players to help us moving forward would be devastating to our ability to compete as best we can. 

Edited by Coconuts

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Maybe he does sign a deal like that, but I personally doubt it. But what do I know? All I can do is speculate and pay attention to what goes on around the league.

Yeah, I'm doubtful as well. He'd have to REALLY love it here. This will be his retirement deal. He can either got to an already-contender for the team-friendly deal we'd need him on, or make more money elsewhere on a team that he can help push to a contender. Either of those scenarios also in a locale with lower taxes, in his home country. 

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Nope...

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Bottom line is I don't think we can afford to lose him for nothing though, it'd hurt our lineup and our prospect pool. Not getting picks, prospects, or roster players to help us moving forward would be devastating to our ability to compete as best we can. 

We absolutely cannot. He either signs a shorter term, lower cap, team-friendly deal that makes sense with the age of our core, or we're better off getting assets for him to compliment that core when they're peaking (approximately 2-7 years +/- from now). 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, I'm doubtful as well. He'd have to REALLY love it here. This will be his retirement deal. He can either got to an already-contender for the team-friendly deal we'd need him on, or make more money elsewhere on a team that he can help push to a contender. Either of those scenarios also in a locale with lower taxes, in his home country. 

Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Nope...

We absolutely cannot. He either signs a shorter term, lower cap, team-friendly deal that makes sense with the age of our core, or we're better off getting assets for him to compliment that core when they're peaking (approximately 2-7 years +/- from now). 

Yup, if he took less to stay it'd say a lot about his belief in this current group of Canucks. But yeah, he could easily take less to go somewhere with a team legitimately contending. We're in the playoff mix with Miller on the team but I certainly wouldn't call us contenders. I don't think he ever really wanted to leave Tampa, I personally think he'll end up signing somewhere in the US. But again, the hell do I know?

And that's it. We'll see how the team does, if they can keep it up it'll kick the conversation further down the road, if they stumble the ball's in Rutherford and co's court. I don't want us letting players walk for nothing for the sake of sentimentality going forward. If we know he plans on leaving move him out. Time will tell. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

I've always wondered whether Miller was a good team player or not, and I think this video certainly helps me understand:

He seems like an awesome teammate to me.

By A LOT Miller is our best forward and third best player:  Hughes (way ahead.  Demko, and then Miller) 

• Vintage 1

Not sure he can keep this going, but Miller has become above a point-per-game again, on pace for 85 points in 82 games.

Since the start of 2011-12, Miller is the only Canuck to finish the season over a point-per-game (min 15 games), as he did in 2019-20 with 72 points in 69 games.

If you take all Canucks since Miller joined the team in 2019-20, he has by far the highest points-per-game at 0.98 (150 points in 153 games). Second is Pettersson with 0.82. This year has played a big role in his lead for sure, as previously, Petey was at 0.93, but my point is that I think it should be properly acknowledged by the league that Miller is our best forward and has been over the past three years combined.

No doubt the league and others outside of Vancouver will market Petey, Boeser, and even Horvat above Miller, but he's the real star forward on this team.

One notable weakness on this Canucks team is the lack of superstar talent, but Miller is starting to push to that level when he's hot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Not sure he can keep this going, but Miller has become above a point-per-game again, on pace for 85 points in 82 games.

Since the start of 2011-12, Miller is the only Canuck to finish the season over a point-per-game (min 15 games), as he did in 2019-20 with 72 points in 69 games.

If you take all Canucks since Miller joined the team in 2019-20, he has by far the highest points-per-game at 0.98 (150 points in 153 games). Second is Pettersson with 0.82. This year has played a big role in his lead for sure, as previously, Petey was at 0.93, but my point is that I think it should be properly acknowledge by the league that Miller is our best forward and has been over the past three years combined.

No doubt the league and others outside of Vancouver will market Petey, Boeser, and even Horvat above Miller, but he's the real star forward on this team.

One notable weakness on this Canucks team is the lack of superstar talent, but Miller is starting to push to that level when he's hot.

Could you imagine the coverage around Miller if he was drafted by us? 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2021 at 11:51 PM, teepain said:

Next year we may only be able to keep 2 of 

miller

horvat

boeser

what would you do

Ideally, I’d love to keep all three if JR can make that happen. 

With that being said, if the most realistic possibility is that we can only keep two, then I think it’s gotta be Bo and JT that remains and Brock’s gotta be traded, unless Brock takes a hometown discount to remain a Canuck. 

On 12/17/2021 at 8:23 AM, Coconuts said:

The same age rationale can be applied to our D too though.

Even with a big cap hit attributed to our D?

We ain't crash hot defensively.  My thoughts are garner what we can in a sellers market. Addition by subtraction.  Poolman, OEL, Myers, Hamonic all have attributes.  Each also overpaid for what they bring.  The deadline is the best sellers market; should attract some assets for one, maybe two. Plus Pearson! If not a big haul, cap space...

In the same deadline market?  Sell high on one key forward.