The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Tyler Myers to Vancouver

5 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Not super happy with this signing.  Myers is a #4 who is best suited to a heavily sheltered, bottom pairing role.  Don't really see the fit, would've been far better to wait year and try to sign Barrie a UFA imo.

He is not anywhere near a bottom pair d man on any team.  Top 2????no, top 4 ???.....100%

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Not super happy with this signing.  Myers is a #4 who is best suited to a heavily sheltered, bottom pairing role.  Don't really see the fit, would've been far better to wait year and try to sign Barrie a UFA imo.

JB can't wait a yr, and neither can the fan base. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, thats what twitter is for :P 

He's overpaid by a million or so, but we also didn't need to trade assets. The right side got much better. 

That's what everyone is saying, but based on my viewings of Myers in Winnipeg (watched that team a lot over the past years), as well as just about every statistical measure out there, I'm not sure the right side is that much better.  

• Haha 1

Just now, highwayman3 said:

That's what everyone is saying, but based on my viewings of Myers in Winnipeg (watched that team a lot over the past years), as well as just about every statistical measure out there, I'm not sure the right side is that much better.  

Oh we are way better.  Myers is super.  Can’t believe we got him for so cheap.  The team taking a big his is the Jets.  Trouba and Myers gone, and Big Buff (my favourite player to watch) is getting old.  Jets will struggle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

?

Winnipeg should have kept him for this deal. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Oh we are way better.  Myers is super.  Can’t believe we got him for so cheap.  The team taking a big his is the Jets.  Trouba and Myers gone, and Big Buff (my favourite player to watch) is getting old.  Jets will struggle. 

I hope you're right but based on my viewings of the player I don't really think 1) we are and 2) that we got him for cheap.  Most Jets fans are very happy they didn't sign him to that contract.  

Agreed on the Jets, they are in a tough spot with Laine and Connor contracts coming up.

12 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

I think consensus is that Myers hasn't reached the level he was expected to since being drafted. Top 4 certainly, but will likely never be a top 2. 

6 minutes ago, highwayman3 said:

Well in Winnipeg with Trouba and a healthy Buff ahead of Myers on the right side their fans may well be right. But here in Van with an oft injured Tanev and Stecher, Myers is a welcome addition if the rumblings are true. 

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Yeah hard pass on that.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait... meanwhile it's "Benning doing nothing again, sitting on his hands, should be fired."

:picard:

Seriously -- do you want this team to get better or not?

I never said that he's doing nothing again and should be fired.  Of course I want the team to be better, I just don't think that signing #4 defencemen who need to be heavily sheltered is the way to do that.  

Apparently the team tried to get Subban first, that would've been a fantastic move imo.  I don't think this is a good move at all, but as a general rule I prefer to patiently rebuild and not sign massive free agent contracts.

2 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Button says he isn’t worth 6.5 and isn’t top 3, just isn’t ......sigh.  Not sure when Benning will finally make a decent move again but I hope it’s not with us. Lol

you must be so disappointed it wasn't 7x7 

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

A top-2 dman will never go for $6 million unless he's 38 years old.

Exactly! I read somewhere that we backed off on PK because of the $9M cap hit, but that's what it costs for a Norris level Dman, and for those who don't like PK, then whoever it is, doesn't get any cheaper, they don't come for $6M. And of course we have Hughes.

Cap hit is why we backed off PK.

https://vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/canucks-facing-down-cap-crunch-as-free-agency-get-set-to-open/wcm/2cfdf1a3-faa2-4962-8edc-4562ef532345

Edited by aliboy