The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is the Toronto management trainwreck Oilers 2?

Rate this topic

Had some nice pieces, but botched it badly.

The Metro Div looks to be turning beastly. Could be 5 PO entries from there alone, quite possibly. If FLO & MTL keep improving(TBay, Bos will be good), could see the Laffs completely crash out.

It's as if they're trying to build a squad that plays like the 80's Oilers, unaware 3 decades have longgg passed, & a cap-system has been implemented.

Wouldn't take such pleasure in this, were it not for the neverending media-favourtism, & cocky HFLeaf fan-trolls.

On 6/25/2019 at 8:19 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

One major trade... one, and the Leafs could go from contender to elite, depth-wise.

They’ve lined up in the playoffs against the best in the league and taken them to the brink, especially their first year. Boston? Who was going to beat Boston, it took Boston beating themselves against the Blues to stop them this year. Not to say how epic that run of STL’s was.

We Canuck fans should be so lucky to one day suffer the same “problems” The a Leafs Do now; to have too many superstars and not enough money, mainly. One big trade will possibly fix that and their D. 

He who laughs last... 

I wouldn’t be laughing at the Leafs, Edmonton or Calgary just yet. 

Especially as a Canucks fan. 

I would be interested to hear about a trade that would accomplish what you foresee for the Leafs.

They are a team that can fill the net in the early part of the season, but the losses start to pile up as the season wears on and teams clamp down on defense. 

I think that the Leafs are short at least two top four defenseman and Freddy Anderson is good, but not elite. 

There isn’t enough grit in their bottom six and you can’t run Mitch Marner out there to block shots on the pk.

It would take the mother of all trades to put the Leafs over the top and we haven’t seen many of those in the salary cap era.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Leafs suck blablah yeah I get it we all hate the Leafs and all too but they're a good team now whether you like them or not.

The Oilers over the past 10-15yrs is one of the biggest failures in all of pro sports teams. They need to invent a word for the complete opposite of a dynasty because that's what the Oilers are.

516EFB0F-032D-411D-987F-74E586D81B42.jpeg

• Haha 2

So who's bold for predictions? Leaf nightmare- 16 bodies/ only 13.5 mill open cap. Horton will be LTIR(5.3 mill after setting roster)

Only TWO decent D-men signed, if Zaitsev is truly intent to fly. Unbelievable, the rest are duds or kids. Dermott is out to start season(Dec, I heard?)

1 - Will MM get OS'ed? Do they match? Up to what number?

2 - Kap & Johnson are supposedly signed(?) Is this a ruse?

3 - What in Hell do they do about the blueline?

4 - What gets added to Zaitsev's brutal 22.5 mill commitment(to deal him, if poss.)? The OTHER 1st(2020 or 2021, that's left?!)

5 - Perhaps break promise to Nylander(after BIG 8 mill bonus), & deal him for D-help?

6- Possible trade idea that anyone might suggest?

********************************The BIGGIE!!!*************************************

7 - Is Dubas the Fleas GM at next June's draft?!

I'll give my guesses within the hr

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

1 - He won't. Will sign 5 yrs x 11 mill in TO

2 - 1 will stay

3 - They'll swing 3 deals to shore it up

4 - It'll cost their other 1st AND a good young player (Egads)

5 - Yes. Nylander to the Avs for Barrie(& cond 1st, if he doesn't sign,'UFA' next summer). Avs load up, big-time.

6 - We will make a deal with them too. Tanev(50%), Bulldog & Goldy. We get Zaitsev(retain 800k), Kap or AJ, 2021 1st(or 2020, if it's top-10! :^)

Suddenly their right side is looking handsome. A team like the Stars will send them some D-piece for depth.

************** 7-Dubas gets gassed around Christmas! It's to keep the fanbase-lemmings on-board for their abysmal 2nd half **************************

U heard it here 1st...

Without a serious upgrade on the blueline, the Leafs won't get past the first round. They have solid forward depth (for now as Marner is truly up in the air), but with only Reilly and Muzzin being true NHL defensemen, Dubas has to acquire a top 4 defenseman to compete. Might he make a play for Myers as well?

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Without a serious upgrade on the blueline, the Leafs won't get past the first round. They have solid forward depth (for now as Marner is truly up in the air), but with only Reilly and Muzzin being true NHL defensemen, Dubas has to acquire a top 4 defenseman to compete. Might he make a play for Myers as well?

If the Leafs get another top four D man (NHL D man) they will need to make a trade.  Nylander for Risto?  Would the Sabres do that?  It unites the Nylander brothers.  

20 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Had some nice pieces, but botched it badly.

The Metro Div looks to be turning beastly. Could be 5 PO entries from there alone, quite possibly. If FLO & MTL keep improving(TBay, Bos will be good), could see the Laffs completely crash out.

It's as if they're trying to build a squad that plays like the 80's Oilers, unaware 3 decades have longgg passed, & a cap-system has been implemented.

Wouldn't take such pleasure in this, were it not for the neverending media-favourtism, & cocky HFLeaf fan-trolls.

no, not really at all

that oiler team had real dmen

huddy, lowe, coffey, randy gregg

I'm not a Leafs fan but I do get surprised by how much hate they get on here considering Canucks don't really have a rivalry with them. It is also consistently surprising how the hate for them clouds people judgment when it comes to Toronto. 

I don't understand how you look at that organization and think they are doomed and are comparable to Edmonton. Yeah they got cap problems without a doubt and have to make some big moves. But in no way are they in a dire situation and the amount of young talent on that team could get them so much. Yeah Nylander had a bad year and I don't particularly love his play, but the dude is getting paid just under $7 mil and has gotten 60 points twice and just turned 23 (look at what other players are getting paid right now and their point totals - Stone/Hayes). You gotta be kidding me if you don't think they can trade him for a really solid top 4 dman (and most likely plus that). Kadri is on a great contract, is excellent defensively and can score. They just signed 2 young 20 goal scores for under 4 million each for 3 and 4 years! 

Like I get it, everyone hates the Leafs and that is fine. They got some holes that need to be addressed or I don't see them going past the first round or two. And yeah their top 3 is going to have a ton of money invested and I think that has risks. But Damn...they have so many pieces that hold value and can be moved to help fill these holes while still being a very strong offensive team. 

They have to add to their D and maybe add some depth to their bottom 6. Not the worse problem to have. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

Is Toronto as bad as Edmonton?  Uh, no.

Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs in back to back years for 18 years now.  They've only made the playoffs 3 times in that time.  

Their awful situation is so old, in one more year it could legally drink. 

Savage

• Haha 1

Hate to say it but they looked like the next team to storm through the playoffs. Watching those elite 3 forwards play together was a joy last season but now they've really screwed the team over depth wise. Not sure how Dubas is going to swing it but he should look at the Penguins for how to try to build a team around two elite centers, 3 is impossible in this cap climate. 

If he somehow squeezes Marner in at 10-12M, hes going to have to move a couple of players still, like Kadri and Muzzin or Ceci. Their defence is already consisting of one top-3 guy in Reilly, two average guys in Muzzin and Ceci and then a bunch of fringe AHLers earning less than 1M.

Up front they've got decent depth but this team is extremely top heavy with 3 of the best forwards in the world, some very good 2nd and 3rd liners, a rubbish 4th line, a great 1st defenceman and then scraps.

I just don't see that style of team making it deep in the playoffs. You need depth in the playoffs and this team is the opposite of depth. If I were Dubas I'd try and copy the Penguins championship teams where they split Malkin and Crosby on separate lines. Malkin, Crosby and Letang could be eerily similar to Matthews, Marner and Reilly...

On 6/28/2019 at 9:23 PM, CanadianRugby said:

Is Toronto as bad as Edmonton?  Uh, no.

Edmonton hasn't made the playoffs in back to back years for 18 years now.  They've only made the playoffs 3 times in that time.  

Their awful situation is so old, in one more year it could legally drink. 

You win the internet

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Haha 2

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 12:03 PM, Bobby James said:

I'm not a Leafs fan but I do get surprised by how much hate they get on here considering Canucks don't really have a rivalry with them. It is also consistently surprising how the hate for them clouds people judgment when it comes to Toronto. 

For me, anyway, it's because the Canadian sports media absolutely adores the Leafs (maybe they're paid to?) and will talk about them every chance they get. It's kind of gross. TOR is like the Kardashians of the NHL. They've got that "Look at me! Look at me!" insecurity, it's always got to be about them, and yet like the Kardashians, they've sucked as long as I've known about them.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1