The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Leafs re-sign Kasperi Kapanen and Andreas Johnsson

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, well clearly they'll figure SOMETHING out. No idea who's going to take on the Zaitsev contract though, or what that will cost them :lol:

Depends what they add.  A second rounder or even a third may do it.  They are so in their window and the clock is ticking loudly.  They will be all in.  Too many egos to even consider failure and I predict that will exactly be their downfall.  Man I hate the Leafs.   

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, WalkWithElias40 said:
Where are the leafs getting money from ? Breaking Bad style in a storage facility ?

Guessing they have a deal pending for Zaitsev and either the Leaf or the other team want to wait until July 1st or later to officially announce it?

Also technically, these extension equals the Marleau trade.

Edited by timberz21

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don’t see them moving out Nylander. After July 1st They will have already committed 20 million to him. I don’t see them moving on from him till the can get a better return on that investment. 

I know TO is full of money but 20 million is still a ton of money to watch disappear after him having a pour season. 

Yeah  - and what were they pouring?

image.jpeg.7d0d6b621ce35e4a89fa1b9b4686575a.jpeg

We're Stanley Cup favoritez!

Maybe the pressure they are now under will be good for them.

The koolaid jug won't be flowing so liberally.

Maybe they'll stop obsessing over their shiny objects and build a deeper, more realistic playoff team.

Anyhow, these are a pair of decent contracts - a good start to get some certainty on what it takes to retain these guys.

But obviously, with free agency approaching in 3 days, there's a hell of a lot of uncertainty remaining in Toronto, and some serious barriers to getting what they need to done.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Master Higgins said:

There goes the cap they saved from the Marleau “deal” 

Yeah, but signing a Kapanen and a Johnsson in place of an aging Marleau is pretty darn good.

Hate to say it, but these 2 signings for the Leafs could be the difference maker for them.  Tremendous value.

Just now, HKSR said:

Yeah, but signing a Kapanen and a Johnsson in place of an aging Marleau is pretty darn good.

Hate to say it, but these 2 signings for the Leafs could be the difference maker for them.  Tremendous value.

I agree, but the problem is they havent improved their team. And now they still have to replace Marleau with a player in the roster. So effectively they are paying more for less on the ice. Theres gonna be a lot of ahl calibre players on the leafs next year, with the hopes that the stars can carry the team with even less depth. The fact that an aging tavares had a career year, by a lot. Along with marner, reilly and freddy having career years. Will that much go right again with less depth to fall back on. Its gonna be very interesting to watch them next year. They may have a worse backend then us 

47 minutes ago, Borvat said:

After these 2 signings and the Karlsson signing in Vegas I wonder if it will help with Boeser's deal for the Canucks?

Karlsson

image.png.e23175b84ca65277007a135f97f8e329.png

I hope so. I think Karlsson is a decent comparison as far as production goes too.

We are going to see Boesers real character and how much he wants to be here with this contract.

We really need the young guys to buy in and sign a little below market value like Karlsson did so that they can stay together and compete.

Especially Petey because he will really set the bar for salaries, no one should be making more than him on our current roster.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

I hope so. I think Karlsson is a decent comparison as far as production goes too.

We are going to see Boesers real character and how much he wants to be here with this contract.

We really need the young guys to buy in and sign a little below market value like Karlsson did so that they can stay together and compete.

Especially Petey because he will really set the bar for salaries, no one should be making more than him on our current roster.

Teams that have a longer window and win get buy in from their stars.  I am hopeful Boeser see's that and buys in.  In my mind his contract is extremely important to set the bar for this group and determine how long this group can stay together.  Long term I give him a bit more - 8 years.  Shorter term I play hard ball.

• Upvote 1

Excellant signings for sure and makes each player more valuable in a trade.  I suspect that one of them will be moved for a high pick or decent prospect at some point, as the Leafs are going to get scorched at the ED.  They could package Johnson + Zaitsev and try to get a decent pick/prospect in return.

I'm still waiting to see what they will do about Kadri, as he has become a liabity for the team.  Hopefully they trade him for a soft player that would be a better fit for the team.B)

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

they aren't 'in place' of an aging Marleau wadr - it's a cool apology/spin for Leafs fans, but they had all three beforehand.

The Leafs are cycling into another 'stage'

One where their highest pick in this draft was 53rd overall.

Last year they traded down to 29.

They've traded next year's/or the next 1st to move Marleau

Wadr to their 'prospect pool' - they are also in the process of depleting their mid-range prospects as well - moved Grundstrom, moved Durzi...

They spent 2nd round picks in consecutive years to rent depth centers - Plekanec and Boyle, retaining neither of them.

They are bleeding futures.

And they've yet to dump Zaitsev - after apparently being poised to lose Hainsey, and Gardiner.

They have no real cap to enter the free agent market.

They are running out of futures to sweeten  a Zaitsev cap dump with.

They had an inadequate blueline that is depleting before our eyes - but these guys are the 'difference makers'?

Sorry, but I think 'difference makers' come when you're on the cusp of contending.

The Leafs are on the cusp of something alright, but what that is - is not the "rebuild is finished".

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Toronto get good value for these 2 players but they are far from out of the woods.  Capfriendly shows they have less than $7m cap space with 18 roster players and Marner still to sign. If they do manage to offload the Zaitsev contract, that would free up $4.5m, leaving $11.5m. I still can't  see how they sign Marner and 5 other roster players.  They have to trade 2 out Zaitsev, Kadri or Nylander, without taking back any salary.  That's going to be tough.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no, no I won't. 

You can't tell me that you don't think Sandin and Bracco wouldn't be great - and cheap - additions to this team. 

Yes Zaitzie is 4.5 - but for 3 years of that we'd have Zaitsev, Sandin and Bracco for a total cap hit of 6.5 in year 1, and maybe 8 for the next 2. 

Er, Zaitsev is for FIVE more years, captain.

• Haha 1

Seem like decent enough contracts for two good young players which Dubas evidently figures he didn't have to use in trade.  So the Leafs now have $7mil of capspace to sign 5 more players, including Marner.  They badly need to turf Zaitsev and bring in a cheap replacement, but then again they also need a cheap replacement for Gardiner.  They could well end up with Reilly and Muzzin, then the rest being ELCs forced onto the roster and UFA scrubs.  Sandin is purportedly more ready than Liljegren but neither are at the door. 

They can presumably go over with the Horton LTIR money, but not sure how much that helps.  Perhaps they can try to bridge Marner at the remaining $6-7mil, then go over by 10% or the Horton amount to sign four dmen?  Again, not sure exactly how it works, as some say you have to be compliant at the start of the season before putting guys on LTIR.

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

This is what buying into a winning team looks like. I truly hope BB6 sees this as players who are putting the team first. Not that he does not deserve to be paid, but Kapanen is not far behind him in terms of talent. This is also why I am hopeful Myers comes here at less cost/term. Sell him on the immediate future of the team and how in 2-3 years we will be in our window while still being able to acquire that one piece to put us over. 

Taking a pay cup only benefits owners. 

5 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Toronto get good value for these 2 players but they are far from out of the woods.  Capfriendly shows they have less than $7m cap space with 18 roster players and Marner still to sign. If they do manage to offload the Zaitsev contract, that would free up $4.5m, leaving $11.5m. I still can't  see how they sign Marner and 5 other roster players.  They have to trade 2 out Zaitsev, Kadri or Nylander, without taking back any salary.  That's going to be tough.

I don't know what their 'story' would be, but I'd like to hear it.

In any event -  the problem with their 'options' is that they overlap with (self-inflicted) horrible timing.

Nylander laid an egg - .5 ppg and 3 in 7 playoff games does not exactly make for prime-time to sell him

Likewise - Kadri just made a repeat ass-hat of himself in the playoffs -  his value isn't exactly spiking (and his role in the present makeup is debatable, particularly when they didn't really have a 4th line or shutdown center either.  Some weak team-building there combined with some character problems - make a 'good' player probably not as valued on the market as they need him to be.

Zaitsev - whether they are being real or not in Toronto - expecting a return - who knows?   But I can't imagine him having positive value in the current cap climate, particularly with the volume of comparable if not better, serviceable D in the FA market, with a lot of trade rumours -and movement taking place (players like Subban, Braun being dealt, and talks around a whole range of others).

The market for these players - their recent performances - the timing - the cap tightness - imo do not make their work easier.

I think 'realistically' they need to seriously consider trading one of their primary, core assets.

Dealing Matthews could actually accomplish a lot for the Leafs, while returning players that could keep them equally, if not make them more competitive - while solving a large part of their cap problem - and might even gain a future along with a couple much needed young, affordable roster assets.   That might be a 'bold' move - but imo they need to make a bold move right now.

• Cheers 1

Would you guys trade for Kadri rn? I reckon he’d be had for cheap. 

He’d be a huge upgrade on our third line at C.  Way better than Sutter for sure. 

We we need to shed cap too though before any trades or signings get done. 

1 hour ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

This is what buying into a winning team looks like.

Okay, and what exactly have they won?

Stanley Cup?  nope

President's Trophy?  nope

Conference title?  nope

Division title?  nope

One playoff round?  nope

Lottery?  CHAMPS

Bigger issue is what they're actively doing to build the team.  The Leafs stopped building two years ago, and since then their bottom-6 has eroded and D has completely fallen apart to where they are today.  Will see what they do this off-season to remedy it, but so far it's been simply plugging holes while scrambling to get under the cap, all of their own doing.  Got Muzzin but otherwise it's all been reactionary, where's the pro-active progression?