The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Jordie Benn signs with Canucks

Just now, 18W-40C-6W said:

A 32 yr old Justin Braun got a second and a third. A rental RD of his caliber if he stays healthy IS getting a first at the deadline. 

He should have better odds of staying healthy now given he won’t be ridden by Green like he has in the past.  

No one's giving up a 1st for Tanev. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

*Unless Benning has a Tanev trade lined up the next couple days...

You don't want kids as 7-8 D. You want them playing and developing, not sitting in the press box 3/4 of the year.

can just bring the kids up / down based on injury needs. Biega as a stop gap for immediacy whilst they travel.

but I can see the allure in creating depth in the NHL to provide stability in the AHL they got spread too thin with all the call ups last year

I am assuming this is because Tanev will, at the very least, be gone by the end of the year.  Benn will be a solid locker room guy who can still play meaningful minutes.  Cheap signing for a player with his experience an quality.  The Canucks defence also gets injured all the time.  Hopefully there will be minutes to go around for Sautner, Juolevi, and Brisebois.  It is time for them to start getting some NHL minutes.

Does Benn play RHD at all?

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Rick Dhaliwal loves attention. This guy really has no clue what’s going on...

Talking about eating your words. lol

This is why I try not to post anything like this at the beginning of rumours pages.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, goblix said:

can just bring the kids up / down based on injury needs. Biega as a stop gap for immediacy whilst they travel.

but I can see the allure in creating depth in the NHL to provide stability in the AHL they got spread too thin with all the call ups last year

Yes of course you can. That's my point. Those kids need to be playing and playing big minutes in the minors, not sitting in a press box. That's why you have guys like Biega and Fantenberg.

6 minutes ago, stawns said:

I think Tanev's future depends on where the Canucks sit at the deadline, if they are in a playoff spot, or in the hunt, I think they keep Tanev for the stretch run/playoffs.  If not, and he stays healthy, they could get a late first for him.

I vote we trade him regardless of standings.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I vote we trade him regardless of standings.

likely how it goes down.  Im hoping the Myers/Benn/Fattenburg deals takes a a lot of the pressure of Tanev and he can cruise thorugh the season injury free.  If so, I don't see how he doesn't get a first, at least........that would nullify the pick sent to TB.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I vote we trade him 50% retained before the season starts.

he's at his lowest value right now and is still an excellent dman if he can steer clear of the injury bug.  He's more valuable to them in the lineup, atm, than he is in a trade, imo.

I like that Benn can play both sides, it gives them so many more options.

Edited by stawns
  • Upvote 1