The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Panthers sign Sergei Bobrovsky

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

They brought up a good point. The difference between a $4 million goalie and $10 million isn't that big. You'd think Florida would have learned from Luongo. 

Lu was s 4 million dollar goalie to the Panthers, wasn’t he?

I can see the argument for Bobrovsky. I mean he is a two time Vezina winner and goaltending is the most important position...

But come on, there’s just no way a contract like that provides value long term. Probably gonna cost them one of their young stars too.

17 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. Worst contract of the day. 

Yes

15 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Most definitely.  70 million dollars... absolutely ridiculous.

Yes

12 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

Madness! Worst deal of the year by far! Never pay a goalie that much! 

And yes

Panarin's is a close runner up though.

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

That's a lot of cash and term for a goaltender. I don't think you can move this without great difficulty, Florida must love its goaltending, first round pick on knight now 10 mil X 7 on Bob. Will be interesting to see what problems they run into for years to come thanks to this.

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

Yes

Yes

And yes

Panarin's is a close runner up though.

Nah panarin's deal will probably end up being one of the best because he's the only one worth breaking the bank for today. He's at or close to Pettersson's level and I would have no problem giving Pettersson 11.6m today. He might end up costing more though if the cap rises in a couple of years. Panarin is a game breaker and franchise player like Pettersson. He dragged the jackets to the playoffs twice. 

27 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

This reminds me of Bryzgalof being signed to that 10 year 50 million contract in Philly. 

i agree

that certainly is one side of the risk quotient

the other side of the risk quotient

is that he is earning luongo's flawed contract (which is/was basically 7 years)

luongo's contract term was in fact 12 year, and i think he actually ended up playing 9 of those years - and was excellent to credible in the first 7 seasons

with inflation, salary cap increases, etc, the contracts are pretty similar

luongo was the same age when he signed  (sept/09, it kicked in a year later) - bob is also 30 - so he might be excellent reducing to credible his entire contract (there is no certainty though)

and luongo's contract was spread out over more years so took up less cap space on an annual basis

but also resulted in cap recapture penalty

bob's contract will hurt more on an annual basis

but is bob as good as luongo was ?  i do not follow him closely enough to assess that (i probably really could not anyway)

Edited by coastal.view

1 hour ago, VIC_CITY said:

World's worst kept secret. How was Florida not tampering?

I am really curious about this.  It has been broadcasted as a foregone conclusion for longer than the courting period.

There must have been something there, not suspicious to the league at all?

This is too much money for a goaltender,

Bob is one of the best in the league sure but goalies are so up and down I think it's hard to justify that much in net.

• Cheers 1