The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[POLL] How did management do at UFA?

Rate this topic

koregen

How did management do at UFA?  

328 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Usually the designer kit you picked up the flea market starts to fade and chip pretty quick...... and then you realize that maybe it was bit used and worn out when you bought it......     Now you understand why the previous owner cleared it out........

JB just can't resist picking up used designer goods at the local flea market every July.....   

That bargain that you thought you got at the time...... now looks like you got ripped off.....

He should know better by now.

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 4

The Canucks got one of if not the best defenseman available in free agency imo - Stralman might be in that class (but at 5.5 x 3 at 32, I like the Myers signing) and Hainsey is also a good signing imo, but he's 38, and it's a one year term.

Benn also brings a fair amount of versatility and a 2 million x 2 is excellent value imo and an upgrade on Hutton, who apparently wanted/expected more.... I still like the idea of bringing Hutton back for depth, and he still has time/room to grow, but based on performance he has not been the player Benn has.

Fantenberg is a signing I like - relatively under the radar - he moves well, has a good transition game, vision/intelligence - he should be a viable depth option and may actually make any additional signings unnecessary given Sautner and Brisebois are approaching NHL readiness/viable callups.

Bailey and Graovac are a couple players I've liked for years - bring more size with skill to Utica and either of them are capable of pushing for a depth roster spot = two good signings imo.

Given Myers came in considerably below the speculated $50 million price ($30 million is a full 40% below the drama) - and Benn came in imo below market value for a guy capable of playing both sides, capable of logging 20 minutes, very solid partner for young D to play with, and at 3LHD rounds out the blueline nicely with the ability to step up when needed - at a mere $4 million deal.

I don't gafk what the Onterrible media says, Benning's work in free agency was excellent - as good as any.   And his work beforehand, to position himself to take advantage of these opportunities - was also well planned and executed.  He gets top grades from me here - for the second year in a row he did exactly what I'd hoped he would - that wasn't the case the previous few UFA periods.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/6/2019 at 7:52 AM, spur1 said:

One major thing Benning has done with his free agent signings is he has removed any doubt any of the players may have had about being able to make the playoffs.

They no longer need to just believe blindly but now have a reason to believe.

Even more so with the Ferland signing. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2019 at 3:25 AM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

Awful.

People are just excited for the season rather then looking at the real picture.

i watched tyler Myers in Kelowna buffalo my second team over hundreds of times he hasn’t been the same since rookie season doesent use his size and makes tons of errors. He doesent really bring good two way play (maybe on a high scoring jets team he’ll stack up points)

hes not worrh even four million and  thats what we have a 6-7 dman I. Jordie benn (on a good team)

so Benning is paying 14 million this year of our cap to

luongo not his fault Myers benn and Fantenberg another 7-8 dman.

good god Myers is not the answer. He’s not a huge upgrade on Hutton.

we actually have lost more then we have gained Lol and Hughes is 19, is absolutely not the answer yet either dahlin just had a historic season for 18 yr olds second best ever and it didn’t help buffalo much.

we couldn’t get Colin Miller for a third rounder? Benning moves that and a first when we’re rebuilding on a decent forward but not great in J.T. Miller but can’t sign the right cheaper miller who’s better at his positioN.

all good when we miss the Playoffs benning is toast and then onto a good GM, I’m sick of benning and his overpaying of free agents it never ends with hiM, yeah he drafted Pettersen and bowser he also drafted virtanen Juolevi and a guy the first nine gms

called a s bust this year. Watch him be our yAkss

Absolutely agree with you.

Love the Ferland and Benn contracts, that Myers contract stinks.  

• Wat 2

On 7/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, oldnews said:

The Canucks got one of if not the best defenseman available in free agency imo - Stralman might be in that class (but at 5.5 x 3 at 32, I like the Myers signing) and Hainsey is also a good signing imo, but he's 38, and it's a one year term.

Benn also brings a fair amount of versatility and a 2 million x 2 is excellent value imo and an upgrade on Hutton, who apparently wanted/expected more.... I still like the idea of bringing Hutton back for depth, and he still has time/room to grow, but based on performance he has not been the player Benn has.

Fantenberg is a signing I like - relatively under the radar - he moves well, has a good transition game, vision/intelligence - he should be a viable depth option and may actually make any additional signings unnecessary given Sautner and Brisebois are approaching NHL readiness/viable callups.

Bailey and Graovac are a couple players I've liked for years - bring more size with skill to Utica and either of them are capable of pushing for a depth roster spot = two good signings imo.

Given Myers came in considerably below the speculated $50 million price ($30 million is a full 40% below the drama) - and Benn came in imo below market value for a guy capable of playing both sides, capable of logging 20 minutes, very solid partner for young D to play with, and at 3LHD rounds out the blueline nicely with the ability to step up when needed - at a mere $4 million deal.

I don't gafk what the Onterrible media says, Benning's work in free agency was excellent - as good as any.   And his work beforehand, to position himself to take advantage of these opportunities - was also well planned and executed.  He gets top grades from me here - for the second year in a row he did exactly what I'd hoped he would - that wasn't the case the previous few UFA periods.

Plus getting Edler for 2x6m and the draft.  Getting Podz and Hogs was great, getting Keppen and Malone, steals in 5 years.  All of them.  

He paid fair market value for Miller. 

Not a steal, but that deal will look way better now with Myers, Benn, Ferland, Fattenburg plus others on the roster.  

But hey, JB sucks right?  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Now with the Ferland signing, I am even more happy with the changes in our lineup.  So far, I give Benning an A-.  If he manages to move LE without losing anything significant, I will up it to an A+.

Sums up my thoughts pretty much word for word.

• Cheers 4

40 minutes ago, Canucklehead53 said:

I am just sitting here waiting for the articles and videos from the 'experts' insisting that the Canucks have no identity and no direction and failed this off season.... Somehow they will say this signing (Ferland) made us worse and will definitely finish last now hahaha

Great to see how many players signing here are referencing our young guns as a reason for wanting to come here ... For actually chosing us over other options. Been a while, but now I remember how good it feels to be a choice destination. 

Yeah, it's still a bit of an alien feeling to me considering how long we've been down near the bottom. It's just so strange to look at this lineup and actually really feel confident that this team can do some damage and would be a team players would find attractive as an option. It's definitely a good feeling.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, highwayman3 said:

Absolutely agree with you.

Love the Ferland and Benn contracts, that Myers contract stinks.  

Same here have no problem with Ferland that’s a good one but the Myers contract is gong to be our new Eriksson and he’s going to be one of the most hated players here for a long time because his upside does not overtake this bad side especially with the price tag just awful all around. He doesent use his size and on bad teams he is even worse. Not saying we’re a bad team but we may be a team that’s hurt or young and both those things are a bad recipe for Myers.

im not huge on Benn deal it’s alright I guess.

as you said ferland will be a good one Myers, well Myers will have to completely change his game for this to

be any good.

Stop saying myers was an over payment if he didnt like van as much as he did he couldve went and got OVERPAID elsewhere between 6.5-7.5 hes a top 4 D ....the only negative so far was not using tampa bays Salary dump of miller as leverage i think a 2nd instead of a first wouldve been more ideal but if he puts up 20-30 goals this season that will keep the haters hush hush 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Topcheeze86 said:

Stop saying myers was an over payment if he didnt like van as much as he did he couldve went and got OVERPAID elsewhere between 6.5-7.5 hes a top 4 D ....the only negative so far was not using tampa bays Salary dump of miller as leverage i think a 2nd instead of a first wouldve been more ideal but if he puts up 20-30 goals this season that will keep the haters hush hush 

TB didn't need to dump Miller's salary.

The Ferland signing was very impressive. The Myers contract is a bit of a gamble. If he plays like how he finished last year, it'll be a good contract, but if he doesn't then it'll be a meh contract. Acquiring Miller and Ferland is huge though. I'd still like another top line guy as opposed to two technically second line guys, but I think this team turns into a cup contender if we acquire a top line player and a top 2 defenseman. If Podkolzin pans out, there's one, but I still think we need another really solid defenseman before we test the cup. Certainly the pieces have been put into place to be truly excited for the first time in 6 years. Hopefully this leads to Vancouver being a positive destination to go again and we can nab a good player or two. Solid off-season. I'll give it an A-. I still wanted Subban for that cheap price he got traded for haha