The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2020 NHL Entry Draft - Round 1 Oct.6 @ 4pm PST (SN). Rounds 2-7 Oct.7 @ 8:30am (SN1)

Noble 6

22 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Just looking around HF prospects section and saw some encouraging things from RD Mitchell Miller from the USHL. He had 33 points in 45 games but had a stretch where he picked up 21 points in 10 games. If he’s there in the 3rd round he’s a guy I’d be interested in.

Certainly a guy with potential to be around when we pick in the 3rd round. The lists are still finalizing, but I’m seeing him ranked anywhere between the middle of the second round to the late third round.

Gonna be interesting to see where other RHDs like Justin Barron and Helge Grans end up. I’m seeing so much volatility in the rankings right now, with Barron and Grans ranging from first round picks to falling down into the third round on some rankings. If either of those guys is somehow available, they’d seem to fit in well with the future D we are building (especially if it includes both Hughes and Rathbone on the left side). Adding a RHD with very good NHL size/projectable frames, excellent skating/edgework, capable puck-moving (although probably not “lead the rush” types), and a really solid defensive component, would be a great compliment to our smaller, dynamic, nimble, offensive, puckmoving/puckrushing LHDs. 

Here’s hoping a guy like that slides down to us.

Also, among RHDs, Michael Benning is interesting. Not just because he’s JB’s nephew, but because some rankings suggest he might be available when we pick, and he looks to have steal potential, if he’s still there in the third round.

But Benning is also on the “undersized” side, and I’m not sure we’ll be looking to add many more Dmen in the 5’10ish range, assuming we’re already penciling in at least a couple smaller guys in our future D group.

(Mitchell Miller is also sub-6’, but he looks to be built like a tank, listed at 5’11, 194 lbs, wide at the shoulders, low centre, and very strong on his skates. Not undersized and probably a guy who could play at 200+, if he makes it to the NHL.)

• Like 2

Gonna come back and write this post later, but just wanted to jot down an optimistic mock draft for the Canucks.

3rd round pick: Sam Colangelo (RW)

4th round pick: Ian Moore (RHD)

5th round pick: Evan Vierling (C)

6th round pick: Wyatt Kaiser (LHD)

7th round pick: Dmitri Ovchinnikov (LW)

Calling this my “optimistic” mock, because some of these guys are slated to go higher than I’m predicting, but I have some reasons (hopefully I’ll actually remember to come back and add them here) why I think they might slip, and still be available around those rounds.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 4:36 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Gonna come back and write this post later, but just wanted to jot down an optimistic mock draft for the Canucks.

3rd round pick: Sam Colangelo (RW)

4th round pick: Ian Moore (RHD)

5th round pick: Evan Vierling (C)

6th round pick: Wyatt Kaiser (LHD)

7th round pick: Dmitri Ovchinnikov (LW)

Calling this my “optimistic” mock, because some of these guys are slated to go higher than I’m predicting, but I have some reasons (hopefully I’ll actually remember to come back and add them here) why I think they might slip, and still be available around those rounds.

trade a 6th for two 7ths.

7th round pick: Tag Bertuzzi

7th round pick: Alex Naslund

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Qwags said:

You guys think that Lafreniere is feeling a sense of impending doom knowing what's going on in Buffalo and Ottawa?

I think he'd like to play with Eichel... Can't say anything good about Ottawa.

6 hours ago, Qwags said:

You guys think that Lafreniere is feeling a sense of impending doom knowing what's going on in Buffalo and Ottawa?

The best place for him to land is Detroit.

Yzerman will build a winner around him. 

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The best place for him to land is Detroit.

Yzerman will build a winner around him. 

I disagree and state Ottawa. Closer to home and they have some good talent to build around. He'd be the icing on the cake.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I disagree and state Ottawa. Closer to home and they have some good talent to build around. He'd be the icing on the cake.

Crappy ownership like Buffalo.

No culture and no signs that they’re anywhere close to building a contender.

Being close to home isn’t always a good thing either.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Crappy ownership like Buffalo.

No culture and no signs that they’re anywhere close to building a contender.

Being close to home isn’t always a good thing either.

Quality young pieces already and a very deep prospect pool in Ottawa that's about to get bigger. They just need time now and they'll be fine. He'd fit in the best there no doubt on paper.

Sabers are closer to competing and have more of a culture problem than anyone.

Detroit's in better hands but is further away.

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Quality young pieces already and a very deep prospect pool in Ottawa that's about to get bigger. They just need time now and they'll be fine. He'd fit in the best there no doubt on paper.

Sabers are closer to competing and have more of a culture problem than anyone.

Detroit's in better hands but is further away.

I don’t see Detroit as farther away.

They also have a deep prospect pool and a stud in Larkin, not to mention ownership that is willing to do what it takes to win. Add to that a GM that is one of the best in the league, and an organization with a culture of winning that many American and Swedish players want to be a part of.

Detroit will make the playoffs before Ottawa, count on it. Melnyk is one spaz out away from blowing the whole thing up again.

Edited by DeNiro

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They also have a deep prospect pool and a stud in Larkin, not to mention ownership that is willing to do what it takes to win. Add to that a GM that is one of the best in the league, and an organization with a culture of winning that many American and Swedish players want to be a part of.

Detroit will make the playoffs before Ottawa, count on it. Melnyk is one spaz out away from blowing the whole thing up again.

Ottawa just has done a real good job scouting. They might have 2-4 guys make it as rookies next year because they are legitimately good enough. Some of their guys stepped in and had real good 1st year pro seasons and they are stocked.

On top of that they have Chabot who's probably gonna win a Norris in his lifetime and Tkachuk. Topple that with a boatload of good prospects, some already good young players playing and a upcoming draft that nets them 7 picks in the first 2 rounds.

On paper, barring any sort of different direction, They're set up a lot better than Detroit depth and talent-wise. Could the owner mess it up? Yeah but it's almost fool proof IMO, just need patience and lotto-luck. They are gonna have enough prospects and high quality ones to have possibly find 4-6 impact players with one or two of them being real studs.

The big problem I have with Ottawa is that melnyk is so cheap that hes not gonna want to let dorion pay all these young guys , I totally agree though they are set up much better talent wise than detroit at this point 

Ottawa might have more talent now, but Yzerman proved himself to be the best GM in the league in Tampa Bay.

If I were Lafreniere, I'd rather play with Larkin than any of the Senators' centers, including Logan Brown. 

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Don't agree on that. Detroit is a different kind of bad.