The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

2 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Bailey "cleans up the garbage" with 6 secs left in the second to make it 2 - 1 Senators 

Good end to the period.  But I think you're right in your earlier observation that having so many top forwards return to the lineup at once has put their chemistry off.  You mentioned MacEwen and Baertschi, but I think Perron came back at the same time as well.  Those three all have the potential to be first line AHLers, which should be a positive in the long-run, but seems to have put things off kilter a bit in the short-term.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Lind?

Like Bailey and Boucher, mostly his passes are on the mark.  But when pressured he does throw the puck away.  Not quite so patient as the other above mentioned 4.

But IMO Lind is almost NHL ready.  His skating is good, he forechecks and hits, has a good net presence (to the extent that he can be a known pest ... " Lind doing Lind things" I've heard a few times).

He has great chemistry with Bailey, and in the handful of games he played center, acquitted himself well. Cull doesn't use him much on the Penalty kill, but not because his defensive play is suspect  -  more because he has more experienced options available (and here a shout out to Goldy, who has been doing well with Boucher as the 2nd pair over the boards)

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Like Bailey and Boucher, mostly his passes are on the mark.  But when pressured he does throw the puck away.  Not quite so patient as the other above mentioned 4.

But IMO Lind is almost NHL ready.  His skating is good, he forechecks and hits, has a good net presence (to the extent that he can be a known pest ... " Lind doing Lind things" I've heard a few times).

He has great chemistry with Bailey, and in the handful of games he played center, acquitted himself well. Cull doesn't use him much on the Penalty kill, but not because his defensive play is suspect  -  more because he has more experienced options available (and here a shout out to Goldy, who has been doing well with Boucher as the 2nd pair over the boards)

Got no place on this team for players who hit. Team policy.

9 hours ago, theo5789 said:

I must've missed something, why is AHL leading scorer Boucher not in the skills competition and I'm assuming the game as well?

Boucher didn't finish the Comets game in Bellevile on Saturday due to an undisclosed injury.  Someone mentioned an ankle but I don't know how severe and he didn't make the trip out to California to participate in the all star game and was replaced at the last minute by Jeremy Brocco. 

• Thanks 3

On 1/3/2020 at 7:34 PM, Timbermen said:

BadGoalie is the ringleader in the Utica thread. He gets along great with the so called Canucks fans that want the team to tank so JB gets fired. The difference is he's a Utica guy and could care less about Vancouver. He's called people from the west coast idiots many times, not just Management. There are some good guys in there though. I think the biggest D bag there is the fraud mod PG canuck. A close second is Prostetic Conscience. Prostetic Idiot flames anyone that thinks JB is doing a good job and has gauded me into multiple bans with insulting crap while fraud mod PG Canuck and the other mods merely edit his posts without warning or banning him. They have taunted me when i sent an email saying the ban was unfair. They hate Banning so much that anyone that even says he's doing a mediocre job is the enemy. There are droves of other idiots such as Melvin who noticed a drafting anomaly in one season and created a drafting bot to try and prove a potato can draft better than NHL GM's. Of course it's complete and utter BS but they act like it's revolutionary, lol. There's another SuperGeek called Jyrki21 that creates an incredibly stupid and false comic called BenningOnEmpty. He should be charged with antideflamation for that deflamatory garbage. There are loads of other idiots but after spending a year or two there, i'm really glad i don't have to converse with them anymore. I like megreto but FatGoaliie has brainwashed him. He was the only one you could disagree with without being flamed. Pastor of muppets is the voice of reason there but i have no idea why he stays there. A constant 20 on 1 battle every day. If you go there and be a JB hater, you'll get treated like gold. 

I'm actually impressed that you managed to get so much wrong in such a brief phrase.  

Just in case anyone is wondering what I actually did, the purpose was to establish a baseline of drafting competence against which NHL teams can be assessed.  There was no "bot" involved, I just used the simplest (read: stupidest) method possible of drafting each player based on who had the most points/game in their draft year, adjusted for the quality of the league. The point was to show, not that I can "draft better," as such a thing should be impossible, but to show that even if you are drafting using the worst methodology possible, you are still going to get a prospect pool that isn't much worse than what most NHL teams end up with.  It gives you a baseline so that each team can be judged by assessing how much better they did with their picks than the dumb potato did with the same picks.  This is better than most draft analysis you've read before because most draft analysts just give each particular pick a score - like 5th overall is 75% or something - without accounting for the actual players who were available at the time.

If you are interested in the full methodology, the HF thread is here  and I have much more details on this blog.  I am quite passionate about this topic so I am more than happy to answer questions or take suggestions on how to improve the approach, so please feel free to email me at the link in my blog or PM me here or on HF.

I see this is a Utica Comets thread so I don't wanted to take anything off-topic, but just to clarify what was said above.

Melvin

• Wat 1

39 minutes ago, HFMelvin said:

I'm actually impressed that you managed to get so much wrong in such a brief phrase.  

Just in case anyone is wondering what I actually did, the purpose was to establish a baseline of drafting competence against which NHL teams can be assessed.  There was no "bot" involved, I just used the simplest (read: stupidest) method possible of drafting each player based on who had the most points/game in their draft year, adjusted for the quality of the league. The point was to show, not that I can "draft better," as such a thing should be impossible, but to show that even if you are drafting using the worst methodology possible, you are still going to get a prospect pool that isn't much worse than what most NHL teams end up with.  It gives you a baseline so that each team can be judged by assessing how much better they did with their picks than the dumb potato did with the same picks.  This is better than most draft analysis you've read before because most draft analysts just give each particular pick a score - like 5th overall is 75% or something - without accounting for the actual players who were available at the time.

If you are interested in the full methodology, the HF thread is here  and I have much more details on this blog.  I am quite passionate about this topic so I am more than happy to answer questions or take suggestions on how to improve the approach, so please feel free to email me at the link in my blog or PM me here or on HF.

I see this is a Utica Comets thread so I don't wanted to take anything off-topic, but just to clarify what was said above.

Melvin

How then, do you explain the drafting record of Mike Gillis?  No system at all?

Fwiw, I'm totally kidding you :lol:

2 hours ago, HFMelvin said:

Melvin

Not interested in hf level Canuck bashing. 

Edit: your posts reads more like a failed stats student trying to use multiple linear regression to try and show that hindsight also works. Yeah...no thanks pal.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Not interested in hf level Canuck bashing. 

Edit: your posts reads more like a failed stats student trying to use multiple linear regression to try and show that hindsight also works. Yeah...no thanks pal.

Thanks for the feedback.  I am not sure where you're getting linear regression from, as I stated, no statistical models were used but it was instead a very simple method of picking players based on points/game in their draft year.  No linear regression or any other kind of modeling, and no hindsight. The point was to use the simplest, worst method possible. 

If you have any other questions about the methodology feel free to shoot me a message. I'd be happy to clear up any other misunderstandings.

Later, y'all.

Melvin

1 hour ago, Timbermen said:

What i don't like about it is it's designed solely to discredit Jim Benning, that's why i won't read it. The level of Benning bashing there is ridiculous. You say you are proud and passionate about this potato drafting methodology you've created but go on to say it's the simplest and worst method possible. I don't get it, if you're using a points per game system only it doesn't make sense considering there are offensive and defensive players. You'd miss out on effective defensive players like Tanev and Beagle. Good luck trying to win a cup with all offensive style players only. The nuances of rebuilding and managing an NHL team are lost on you. I have nothing against you personally, i understand the brainwashing techniques and peer pressure of HFBoards, i prefer to think for myself. Welcome to CDC, just keep the Benning bashing to a dull roar.. 

& a Hallejujah! is in order.

Some pages back we all agreed to stop making this Utica page/topic an HF hate-fest..but you've aptly described what goes on there.

Almost 5 decades of uneven drafting..Finally we get a GM who's a drafting-guru, & they want to discredit that fact? They'll do anything to diminish JB's success in building this rising (potential) western beast.

Basically HFhaters are as misleading, evasive, cynical & disingenuous as contemporary MSM. Went there for team info updates, & mos back, just had to stop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1