The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

53 minutes ago, NuckForReal!!! said:

A similar contract to Timo Meiers would be nice.

Wholeheartedly disagree,  we are not a cup contending team at the moment  (and likely wont be until minimum three years from now) thus we do not have a pressing need to get Brock in at a lower cap hit right now. When we do start to become an elite level team in 3/4 years (EP40/Hughes entering their primes, Podkolzin a regular in our lineup and back from the KHL) is when we will want to make sure we create the largest  Stanley cup window possible to capitalize on. 

If we give Brock the same deal as Timo Meiers that would mean we only get one year of him @ $6. After that we would have to Qualify him at $10. Sure I get the argument that if he's putting up 40 by then then he's worth the 10. That's fair, but why have him making $10 when we need all the cap space we can get to fill out our roster to push our team over the edge. Instead I would much rather have him for say $7.5 if we do a $7.5X8 deal now and have an extra $2.5 mill a year for 4 years on a role player or maybe it will be just enough for us to target a key free agent or trade piece at the deadline to put us over the top. 

Now is when we have the cap space to take this hit on, in 3 years EP40 and Hughes will be off of their entry level deals and likely cashing in if they pan out like we all hope they do. I would love to pull of what Colorado has done - signing long term deals when they had the cap to spend (Landeskog @ 7 x $5.6 and  Mackinnon @ 7 x $6.3). This now gives them 4 years minimum of a window while having Mackinnon only making $6.3 - giving them the ability to spend money wherever else they need to fill out their team to take them over the top. 

Edited by FS91
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

If it's 4 years, then 6, 6.5 at most?

If I'm Boeser's agent, I would think that Boeser is going to score 40 goals in a season or two, which would put him in the same group as Laine, probably 8-10 mil range. At the same time, with injury history (Boeser has never played a full season), they would want a bit of security so probably minimum 3 years. So, 4 years sounds about right.

From Canucks' perspective, as long as he is an RFA at the end of the contract, it should be fine.

Question is, can we contend within this 4 years?

2 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

To me this indicates the Canucks are about to go all in during this current contract at a Cup run. I'm scared.

or maybe it means they're just holding down the fort and waiting for a new CBA when the salary cap starts going up substantially again. 

• Upvote 1

I dont think "as long as he's an RFA at the end" is as great as it seems. Brock and his agent would hold all the leverage. 

Say he is a consistent 40 goal scorer - If they really wanted they could just sign the one year qualifying offer at $10M and then test free agency the following year where he will be the prize of free agency and get say $12 M plus, leaving us with nothing. Again we hold no real leverage so it would be up to Brock and his Agent.

Say he has a not so great 4 years. Has some injury issues - struggles to hit 30 goals. Well then we have a Ben Hutton situation. If we want to keep him we have to pay him $10M which he may not be worth, or let him walk. Once again possibly losing him for nothing. 

This all comes down to asset management, and if you truly believe Brock is and will be a great player - lock him up for as long as possible now. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Why would you be scared to see your team compete?  Isn't that the point of the entire existence of the league?

I'm not so sure we can turn our current defense around in 4 years. 

5 minutes ago, tas said:

or maybe it means they're just holding down the fort and waiting for a new CBA when the salary cap starts going up substantially again. 

True. 

• Wat 1

31 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm not so sure we can turn our current defense around in 4 years. 

True. 

Take out the shorter term vets (Edler, Tanev, Benn) and you've got Hughes, Myers, Stecher, Juolevi, Rathbone, Woo, Brisebois and Rafferty as a pretty solid starting point. Add a likely returning Tryamkin and rumours of an interested in returning Barrie as potential options as well.

And I hardly think we'll stop drafting, trading etc for guys after that.

Hardly cause for massive concern and we're still largely in the 'wet lump of clay' phase.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

So to recap here, many see the following as negative/scary: 

- The Canucks competing over the next 4 years

- Boeser being a multiple-time 40-goal scorer

We're a funny group here, aren't we. 

How so? I would want nothing more than that. As a matter of fact that's more of a reason to sign im to 8 years than 4. 
Lock him down and then relish in the fact that you have a 40-goal scorer for $7.5M. Much like Colorado is relishing the fact they have a top 3 player in the NHL at only $6.3M

10 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

So to recap here, many see the following as negative/scary: 

- The Canucks competing over the next 4 years

- Boeser being a multiple-time 40-goal scorer

We're a funny group here, aren't we. 

Welcome to the persistent inferiority complex of Canuck fans, largely driven and exacerbated by the media.

• Upvote 1