The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

10 minutes ago, Odd. said:

If this true, then praise the lord.

That's nice but then he will have player elected arbitration likely too lol. That could drive his next deal way up if they can't agree on a price quickly. Hopefully by then he will be rich and worry about repeating championships not cashing in lol

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Depending on how the deal is structured, a 4 year deal could be tricky. Look at the Meier deal and the final year ends up as RFA but a 10 million dollar salary. He would have to be qualified at that salary. It pretty much sets that they pay him at least 10 million for the 5th year of RFA or we don't qualify and he hits UFA a year early. Of course there will be negotiations prior to try and lock him longer for lower, but the advantage goes towards the player in this instance. So while a 4 year deal at 6 million is reasonable, we will have to see the structure to determine what the future is beyond those 4 years.

Are you sure about that?  I thought it was the cap hit that determines the qualifying offer?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

That's nice but then he will have player elected arbitration likely too lol. That could drive his next deal way up if they can't agree on a price quickly. Hopefully by then he will be rich and worry about repeating championships not cashing in lol

The main thing is we don't have the risk of losing him for nothing. That and breaking the heart of fans lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Lots of times.

Not particularly negative now either, if you don’t understand the reality of his agent wanting a short deal and the team wanting a longer deal... and find that a negative, I am not sure how to make you feel better.

The backloading part is based on the recent Meier deal, which as a comparable I am sure Boeser’s camp wants to emulate.... why wouldn’t they.

It is just negotiation.  I am a fan of the team, so am hoping for a deal that benefits the team and not the individual player.

Of course everyone (but Brock, his reps & his friends/family) would love an 8 year deal at $5.5M, but it's not going to happen. 

It's not like the negotiations here just began. I'm sure they've been back and forth numerous times on $$ and term. A 4-year deal at a reasonable hit will be great. 

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Are you sure about that?  I thought it was the cap hit that determines the qualifying offer?

It's the base salary without bonuses in the final year of the contract.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

And who cares. If he’s scoring 40 and 50 a year he’s earned it. Happy to pay him later for performance now - it gives us a bigger window man .

Actually the opposite.  A 4 year deal with a big required qualifying offer and/or not having club control of Boeser shortens our window.  He will be coming off this contract right when we should be expecting to go deep.

1 minute ago, Maketherightmove said:

Of course everyone (but Brock, his reps & his friends/family) would love an 8 year deal at $5.5M, but it's not going to happen. 

It's not like the negotiations here just began. I'm sure they've been back and forth numerous times on $$ and term. A 4-year deal at a reasonable hit will be great. 

A 7 years deal at $7 million would be significantly better for the team.  

It is likely the hang hang up with not signing.  The team wants long term and the agent wants to get him to UFA as quickly as possible.

• Upvote 1

From Capfriendly...

• Qualifying Offer Calculator

• Teams must extend a qualifying offer to a restricted free agent to retain negotiation rights.
      • A qualifying offer is an official Standard Player Contract (SPC) offer which shall be 1 year in length, and which can be subject to salary arbitration should the player be eligible.
      • Clubs have until the later of June 25th or the first Monday after the Entry Draft to submit Qualifying Offers.
      • Qualifying Offers apply to Group 2 and Group 4 free agents.
      • Submitting a Qualifying Offers gives the prior club the right of first refusal to match any offer sheet submitted, or receive draft pick compensation.
      • If the player rejects the qualifying offer, they remain an RFA and their rights are retained by the team.
      • If a player does not receive a qualifying offer, the player becomes a UFA.
    • The qualifying offer is calculated from the players base salary (NHL salary minus signing bonus), and at minimum must meet the seasons minimum salary requirements:
      • 110% of the base salary if the base salary is less than or equal to $660,000
      • 105% of the base salary if the base salary is greater than $660,000 or less than $1,000,000. However, this qualifying offer cannot exceed $1,000,000.
      • 100% of the base salary if the base salary is equal to or greater than $1,000,000.
      • CBA Reference 10.2 (a) (ii)
    • The qualifying offer must be a One-Way offer if the following three requirements are met (A goaltender is considered to have played a game if they are on the bench as a backup for this scenario):
      1. The player played in 180 NHL games in the previous three seasons (Prorating for the shortened 2012-13 season: 156 games if one of the three seasons is 2012-13).
      2. The player played in 60 NHL games in the previous season (36 if the previous season is 2012-13).
      3. The player did not clear waivers in the previous season.
  •  

With Brock suffering an almost career ending injury in 2018, I’d be surprised he signs for less than 6 years.  The security of a longer term must be attractive to him.  Maybe we go longer term (yes, eating into his UFA years) but still stay at 6 per year?  That injury he suffered just might have Brock thinking (as it should for all players) his career could end in one moment.  I’m still hopeful for a 7 year term at 6 mil.  That’s 42 guaranteed dollars for Brock.  

4 minutes ago, coryberg said:

We have 5.57mil right now with a 27 man roster (not including brock). We will be rolling with a 23 man roster so let's look at who won't be on the team.

Bailey at 700k

Brisebois at 698k

Sautner at 675k

Plus 2 more around a million (gaudette,schaller,biega etc.)

Right there you have to knock 4 million off the cap and we have 9.6 million to work with.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but with Roussel on LTIR until mid-season, there's time to spare before worrying about cap compliance.

• Upvote 1