The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

If he meets a Vancouver girl there’s nothing stopping him from bringing her back to Minnesota either. I know Brock wants to be a Canuck but he’s still a born and bred Minny boy and there’s something about that place that keeps drawing people back.

Fair enough. But it is mere speculation at this point. And random lol.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I'd like to see them go a different route.

Go for a pressure, transition, size, speed line -  a two way line - that is hard to handle and has lots of hard areas to it, lots of forecheck, backcheck.  Pearson Horvat Virtanen.   Let Jake fly around on Horvat's wing - that line would be hard to defend and bloody fun to watch imo.

If it doesn't pan out, they have ample other options (Baer, Gaudette, LE, and Podkolzin on the way).  Maybe not shopping for another RW is the right move in the present while trying to retain any flexibility they have, and hopefully add to that flexibility if they could move LE.

I think Boeser stays with EP now that they've found an enabling winger imo - MIller rounds out that line nicely imo - and Brock has a more mindful game than I think he's getting credit for - he came in instantlly with an NHL game without the puck - which gained him instant opportunity as well - he may have had an injury and struggled a bit with mobility, etc, but Boeser is a guy that will never stop working on a more complete game = I think he's being a bit under-rated in the sense that he has the ability to uptick beyond simply being a 'sniper' or pigeon-holed as such.

....as long as we don’t call it the Bo Jake line :emot-parrot:

Now maybe a 3 year deal makes sense if we can’t get a long term one done. Having him come up for renewal after Eriksson is off the books makes it easier to swallow an increase.

3 years $5.5 million, he matches Horvat’s deal and gets to show whether he is worth a bigger ticket in his prime.

Avoiding a 4 or 5 year deal is what is needed.  Takes him to free agency or to a window for a 1 year arbitration imposed deal that takes him to free agency.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Now maybe a 3 year deal makes sense if we can’t get a long term one done. Having him come up for renewal after Eriksson is off the books makes it easier to swallow an increase.

3 years $5.5 million, he matches Horvat’s deal and gets to show whether he is worth a bigger ticket in his prime.

Avoiding a 4 or 5 year deal is what is needed.  Takes him to free agency or to a window for a 1 year arbitration imposed deal that takes him to free agency.

Punch the deal up to 5 years. We don't want Bo, Boeser, or Hughes having to be re-signed at the same time. I think the thing is he's gonna have to out perform Bo to earn the big contract. We get Bo done first and then compare numbers and responsibility. Theoretically he could do it, but he hasn't done it just yet. 3 years would match the ending of Hughes' ELC and we don't want that. I would eat the higher cap hit for Boeser, so we wouldn't have to re-sign those two in the same season.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

Punch the deal up to 5 years. We don't want Bo, Boeser, or Hughes having to be re-signed at the same time. I think the thing is he's gonna have to out perform Bo to earn the big contract. We get Bo done first and then compare numbers and responsibility. Theoretically he could do it, but he hasn't done it just yet. 3 years would match the ending of Hughes' ELC and we don't want that. I would eat the higher cap hit for Boeser, so we wouldn't have to re-sign those two in the same season.

5 years takes him exactly to free agency and is absolutely the least attractive term for the team and the most expensive long term.

3 years doesn't take him to the Hughes and Petterson contract year... they are up in two more years.  3 years takes him to the year Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel contracts are expiring.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

5 years takes him exactly to free agency and is absolutely the least attractive term for the team and the most expensive long term.

3 years doesn't take him to the Hughes and Petterson contract year... they are up in two more years.  3 years takes him to the year Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel contracts are expiring.

Hughes contract rolls over because he only played 5 games. So Petey is in 2, Hughes is in 3 and so on. That's not the point though.

The point is we are in a unique position where Bo's salary can more or less set the standard for our team because he's going to come to work every single night. He's gonna be the Captain soon, so if you think you deserve more money, you better outwork Captain Bo. Bo probably won't be the best player on the team, but you know damn well the effort is going to be there and he'll make the rest of em earn their big contracts. What if we sign Boeser short term, but bigger number than Bo and then he doesn't put up the numbers. Bo's contract will come up and then it inflates the salaries for the rest of the team. The new standard wouldn't even have a proper comparable to go by and that means good luck getting a deal on his contract.

Then of course there's an arbitration year where our brass says, "Well we feel like you rode Petey's coat tails a bit." You give him his arbitration deal and he's gone in a year, anyways.

Within that 5 years, you get the time to show the kid that we're going to be and stay competitive for years and that's what keeps him here. That's what we had better be relying upon anyways if we want any chance to keep our player's loyalty to the team.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Hughes contract rolls over because he only played 5 games. So Petey is in 2, Hughes is in 3 and so on. That's not the point though.

Hughes burned a year last year. He's up in two more, same as Petey.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

The point is we are in a unique position where Bo's salary can more or less set the standard for our team because he's going to come to work every single night. He's gonna be the Captain soon, so if you think you deserve more money, you better outwork Captain Bo. Bo probably won't be the best player on the team, but you know damn well the effort is going to be there and he'll make the rest of em earn their big contracts. What if we sign Boeser short term, but bigger number than Bo and then he doesn't put up the numbers. Bo's contract will come up and then it inflates the salaries for the rest of the team. The new standard wouldn't even have a proper comparable to go by and that means good luck getting a deal on his contract.

Then of course there's an arbitration year where our brass says, "Well we feel like you rode Petey's coat tails a bit." You give him his arbitration deal and he's gone in a year, anyways.

Within that 5 years, you get the time to show the kid that we're going to be and stay competitive for years and that's what keeps him here. That's what we had better be relying upon anyways if we want any chance to keep our player's loyalty to the team.

I am confused because you actually put that as your main point in your last post and now it is beside the point?

Hughes expires in two years according to Capfriendly which marks him as expiring at the same time as Petterson.  I always understood it to be burning a year as soon as a game is played as well.  Because of his age as of Sept 15th, I don't believe his ELC can slide.

Signing Boeser to a 3 year contract means it doesn't come up for renewal with any other significant contracts AND it is in a year when we actually have money coming off the books (Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Luongo).  Short term means lower AAV for those years.  A long term contract of 6-8 years is best, but if that is a no go, a really short term contract of 3 years is much better than 4 or 5... which cost us club control earlier than we need to.

Using Horvat's contract as a comparable doesn't fly at all in negotiations as it was signed years ago under a different salary cap.  The argument that Boeser's contract will inflate Bo's contract which will in turn inflate the rest of the team's contract doesn't fly either.  We will have already signed Petterson and Hughes.  Horvat's contract will be based on the overall NHL market conditions of the time and his performance.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

The slide thing only applies to Junior players, playing in the the O/W/QMJ-HLs if I recall correctly. Different rules for players coming from college.

Edited by Gäz

2 minutes ago, Gäz said:

The slide thing only applies to Junior players, playing in the the O/W/QMJ-HLs if I recall correctly. Different rules for players coming from college.

The slide is based on age - not from where players have been drafted.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

The slide is based on age - not from where players have been drafted.  

Ah, knew I was missing something somewhere. Feels like it's been forever since we had a contract slide.

36 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

With the Ferland signing wouldn't be surprised we trade a 1st round pick to move Eriksson. Say goodbye to a proper rebuild and wish that the retool works. 

As much as I’d love to imitate the oilers.... there does come a time to start competing ;)

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

With the Ferland signing wouldn't be surprised we trade a 1st round pick to move Eriksson. Say goodbye to a proper rebuild and wish that the retool works. 

In part I agree.  The concept of proper rebuild is one I thought JB was missing. But he has built s foundation of elite young players, right?  He has built a really good prospect pool too, right?  And he’s got a good group of support players to help our young core to do their best, right?  JB has done a really good job building a team for us to watch that will be really good for a decade.  It’s not how you or I would have gone about it, but the result is excellent.

No, JB will not move assets to get rid of Loui. 

• Upvote 1