The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Boeser Camp Eyeing 4 Year Deal Worth $28M

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

Actually the opposite.  A 4 year deal with a big required qualifying offer and/or not having club control of Boeser shortens our window.  He will be coming off this contract right when we should be expecting to go deep.

No team has a problem paying a guy who has produced is my point. Clearly if we want to buy ufa years we’re not getting him for 6. If he scored 40-50 he’s worth every penny of 10+ even if playing with Petey. Not many guys do that. My guess is he won’t anyways and his next contract will be 9 ish 

• Upvote 1

Just now, HKSR said:

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but with Roussel on LTIR until mid-season, there's time to spare before worrying about cap compliance.

I believe we can't get LTIR relief until the season actually begins, so you go into the season with it on the cap and then instantly replace it. This is why vegas was looking to move Clarkson's deal.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

A 7 years deal at $7 million would be significantly better for the team.  

It is likely the hang hang up with not signing.  The team wants long term and the agent wants to get him to UFA as quickly as possible.

SJS are screwing the whole league on the deals they've signed. But it is what it is, the cats out of the bag. 

I honestly don't see this as something that should hold us up on Brock. Every elite RFA is going to be looking for this backload style deal from now on until it blows up on a player somehow 4 or 5 years from now. 

1 minute ago, coryberg said:

I believe we can't get LTIR relief until the season actually begins, so you go into the season with it on the cap and then instantly replace it. This is why vegas was looking to move Clarkson's deal.

Heh, I was just looking for clarification on this in the Marner offer sheet thread.

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

SJS are screwing the whole league on the deals they've signed. But it is what it is, the cats out of the bag. 

I honestly don't see this as something that should hold us up on Brock. Every elite RFA is going to be looking for this backload style deal from now on until it blows up on a player somehow 4 or 5 years from now. 

YEP.  The SJS model screws teams with last year QO for the team.

TIMO MEIER #28

SEASON CLAUSE CAP HIT q2.svg AAV q2.svg P. BONUSES q2.svg S. BONUSES q2.svg BASE SALARY q2.svg TOTAL SALARY q2.svg MINORS SALARY q2.svg
2019-20   $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,300,000 $700,000 $4,000,000 $6,000,000
2020-21   $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $3,300,000 $700,000 $4,000,000 $6,000,000
2021-22   $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $2,000,000 $4,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
2022-23   $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $0 $0 $10,000,000 $10,000,000 $6,000,000

The Base Salary for the last year is $10M.  The QO will be based on that amount.  Sheesh!!!!!

A 4 year deal is amazing as he remains an RFA.

We currently have under $5.7 million in space after todays signing so he'll have to be under that OR we'll be assured to see Tanev, Sutter or Eriksson on their way out.

All in all this is a great thing if he can be had for $6 million or less for 4 years.  Benning accomplishes that, coupled with his signings this off season and his signing 4 or 5 players for less than 14 million and he looks like an absolute wizard

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We currently have under $5.7 million in space after todays signing so he'll have to be under that OR we'll be assured to see Tanev, Sutter or Eriksson on their way out.

All in all this is a great thing if he can be had for $6 million or less for 4 years.  Benning accomplishes that, coupled with his signings this off season and his signing 4 or 5 players for less than 14 million and he looks like an absolute wizard

21 minutes ago, coryberg said:

We have 5.57mil right now with a 27 man roster (not including brock). We will be rolling with a 23 man roster so let's look at who won't be on the team.

Bailey at 700k

Brisebois at 698k

Sautner at 675k

Plus 2 more around a million (gaudette,schaller,biega etc.)

Right there you have to knock 4 million off the cap and we have 9.6 million to work with.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I believe teams allowed to be 10% over the cap for summer, + Roussel is going to go right on the LTIR, so we may not see an immediate trade. If it is 6 or less, Benning is a genius.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

LTIR is a nuisance to deal with because it doesn't allow to bank cap space and unless the numbers fit perfectly you might not be able to get the full relief.  You only get the relief for what exceeds the cap.  It's challenging to make the numbers work as you would have to paper players down to the AHL and not everyone is waiver free and you have to respect the roster limits.  

The CBA gives an illustration with the approach to go above the cap.  The team in the illustration is not getting the full 2M relief for the injured player but only 1.5M.   If that LTIR contract was traded before the season - then there is a full 2M available vs just 1.5M.

Art. 50.10 - prior to opening day illustrations:

Illustration #4: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, his Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on such Player. On Opening Day, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). The Club is deemed to have already fully replaced the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players on the Opening Day Roster. If these replacements are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $71.5 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $1.5 million because of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

25 minutes ago, Maketherightmove said:

Of course everyone (but Brock, his reps & his friends/family) would love an 8 year deal at $5.5M, but it's not going to happen. 

It's not like the negotiations here just began. I'm sure they've been back and forth numerous times on $$ and term. A 4-year deal at a reasonable hit will be great. 

I re-signed Horvat at 7 years 3.5 million at NHL GM mode a few years back so anything is possible :P

5 minutes ago, mll said:

LTIR is a nuisance to deal with because it doesn't allow to bank cap space and unless the numbers fit perfectly you might not be able to get the full relief.  You only get the relief for what exceeds the cap.  It's challenging to make the numbers work as you would have to paper players down to the AHL and not everyone is waiver free and you have to respect the roster limits.  

The CBA gives an illustration with the approach to go above the cap.  The team in the illustration is not getting the full 2M relief for the injured player but only 1.5M.   If that LTIR contract was traded before the season - then there is a full 2M available vs just 1.5M.

Art. 50.10 - prior to opening day illustrations:

Illustration #4: The Upper Limit in a League Year is $70.0 million. A Player who has an SPC with an Averaged Amount of $2.0 million becomes unfit to play on the last day of Training Camp, and on the same day, his Club exercises the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception on such Player. On Opening Day, the Club has an Averaged Club Salary of $71.5 million (excluding Earnable Performance Bonuses up to the full amount of the Performance Bonus Cushion). The Club is deemed to have already fully replaced the unfit-to-play Player with any Player or Players on the Opening Day Roster. If these replacements are maintained through the conclusion of the season, the Club's Averaged Club Salary is $71.5 million, as the Club is permitted to exceed the Upper Limit by $1.5 million because of the Bona-Fide Long-Term Injury/Illness Exception.

It's definitely complicated but either way we won't be needing it seeing as he will be returning to the lineup a few months in and we have over 10 million in space with a 22 man roster (minus what brock gets of course)

Edited by coryberg

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

image.png.b3976bba27199d2230fe502a43cfe259.png

C'mon now, 'Hippy, look more closely...