The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Josh Leivo

50 minutes ago, CJ44 said:

Why re sign Goldy though?? Unless he takes a step forward this season I don't see why at this point the organization would re-sign him. For a guy that was scratched multiple times last season and in the dog house I don't think we should be taking about re-signing the guy.

He was just qualified and will be resigned or traded. Not going to hurt anything to give him another shot this training camp and if he doesn’t make the cut then its waivers and minors

Edited by Devron44
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Love players that want to be here, definitely helps their cause with the fans when they speak up about it. (Unlike erikson that unappreciative sonofa..)

I think the Petey Effect, along with the likes of Horvat Boeser Hughes, now Miller and Podkolzin (in a couple years ) help make this team more attractive to sign with. Hence why Benn opted to sign here, Myers wanted to be here and both excited to get going and help contribute. Future is looking bright. 

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, CJ44 said:

Why re sign Goldy though?? Unless he takes a step forward this season I don't see why at this point the organization would re-sign him. For a guy that was scratched multiple times last season and in the dog house I don't think we should be taking about re-signing the guy.

Goldy has something that this team sorely lacks and that is playmaking ability. Outside of Petey and maybe Quinn there is really no one who can slow the game down and open up passing lanes for others. Hopefully he can work it out.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

Goldy has something that this team sorely lacks and that is playmaking ability. Outside of Petey and maybe Quinn there is really no one who can slow the game down and open up passing lanes for others. Hopefully he can work it out.

I mean, it's not like his playmaking is leagues better than those behind him. Goldy is not irreplaceable or all that important. I am rooting for the guy but I am also not against just moving him out/letting him go.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, CJ44 said:

The thing is how do you move Eriksson and Sutter? with those contracts teams don't want them. If they were on reasonable contracts teams would maybe take a flier on them....but they are both grossly overpaid and expensive so I would imagine it's pretty tough to move them right now without retaining salary.

I think Sutter has to be moved in season.  He needs to demonstrate a couple of months of health and good play.  

Eriksson we are generally better off eating the contract than giving away assets to get rid of him.

IMO Benning is a better GM when he is tighter to the cap so it isn't all bad.

Decent signing for Leivo.  Good to see him with a full camp and season with the club.

• Upvote 2

• -SN- unfeatured this topic
On 7/6/2019 at 2:41 AM, N7Nucks said:

I mean, it's not like his playmaking is leagues better than those behind him. Goldy is not irreplaceable or all that important. I am rooting for the guy but I am also not against just moving him out/letting him go.

It's all about potential with Goldobin. He has 1st line potential if he ever puts it together. Is he ever going to reach those heights? Probably not. But he's one of the most skilled guys in our organization and because of that potential, I think he gets one last chance to stick. If he turns out to be a top 6 player for us, that's a game changer.

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

It's all about potential with Goldobin. He has 1st line potential if he ever puts it together. Is he ever going to reach those heights? Probably not. But he's one of the most skilled guys in our organization and because of that potential, I think he gets one last chance to stick. If he turns out to be a top 6 player for us, that's a game changer.

The thing is, he could be 30 years old and one could still say he has potential and they wouldn't be wrong either. The question then comes: how long do we want to wait for that potential to show up, if it ever shows up.

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally rooting for him, but there has to be a point where we say "okay, we've given this player a fair shot and he hasn't shown up" and decisions need to be made. If he doesn't get signed this off season by us, then it's simply time to try someone else.

Edited by The Lock

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

The thing is, he could be 30 years old and one could still say he has potential and they wouldn't be wrong either. The question then comes: how long do we want to wait for that potential to show up, if it ever shows up.

Don't get me wrong. I'm totally rooting for him, but there has to be a point where we say "okay, we've given this player a fair shot and he hasn't shown up" and decisions need to be made. If he doesn't get signed this off season by us, then it's simply time to try someone else.

For sure. I think we can both agree that this is Goldobin's last chance.

• Cheers 1

On 7/9/2019 at 2:30 PM, VIC_CITY said:

For sure. I think we can both agree that this is Goldobin's last chance.

And I'm sure that he's only getting yet another chance because Benning hasn't received any offers of any value in trade for him.  You can completely see that he is not a Green type of player, and if Benning could ever get something of decent value for him, he'd ship him outta here in a heartbeat!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

And I'm sure that he's only getting yet another chance because Benning hasn't received any offers of any value in trade for him.  You can completely see that he is not a Green type of player, and if Benning could ever get something of decent value for him, he'd ship him outta here in a heartbeat!

Perhaps a drop or two of stevia in an Eriksson move...

On 7/9/2019 at 1:13 PM, The Lock said:

I don't know about being 30 and still having "potential" 

Most NHL players, if they're any good, are showing that they're good and productive players by 22-24 years old. If they're not showing that they're capable by the time they're 24-25 years old, then it's probably time to cut ties with said player. Goldobin is still young at 23, but he's approaching that place where he's running out of time to show he belongs in the NHL. The Canucks haven't been very good the last couple of years, and he's been on a bad team and can't seem to crack the line up on a bad NHL team - what does that say about him? 

Like others on the forum here. I'm rooting for Goldy to put it all together. But he doesn't have a lot of time to do that. Either he gets his defensive game together, and gains the trust of Green, or he's either waived and becomes another organization's problem, or he's included in some sort of trade. I can't see Goldobin beating out Miller, or even Ferland for that matter. So where does that leave him in the top six if there's available spots there to even earn? 

Top six in my mind: Horvat, Miller, Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser, _____________. 

The blank could be Goldobin, could be Pearson. Could even be Bärtschi, or Virtanen. 

With Pearson and Virtanen they can at least still play a role in a middle six role. Goldobin seems to either be top six or bust. 

5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know about being 30 and still having "potential" 

Most NHL players, if they're any good, are showing that they're good and productive players by 22-24 years old. If they're not showing that they're capable by the time they're 24-25 years old, then it's probably time to cut ties with said player. Goldobin is still young at 23, but he's approaching that place where he's running out of time to show he belongs in the NHL. The Canucks haven't been very good the last couple of years, and he's been on a bad team and can't seem to crack the line up on a bad NHL team - what does that say about him? 

Like others on the forum here. I'm rooting for Goldy to put it all together. But he doesn't have a lot of time to do that. Either he gets his defensive game together, and gains the trust of Green, or he's either waived and becomes another organization's problem, or he's included in some sort of trade. I can't see Goldobin beating out Miller, or even Ferland for that matter. So where does that leave him in the top six if there's available spots there to even earn? 

Top six in my mind: Horvat, Miller, Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser, _____________. 

The blank could be Goldobin, could be Pearson. Could even be Bärtschi, or Virtanen. 

With Pearson and Virtanen they can at least still play a role in a middle six role. Goldobin seems to either be top six or bust. 

Leivo played top 6 a lil bit last season, he wasn’t great but maybe he comes in improved this season. Goldy, Pearson and Baer all have the best odds of top 6 imo. Goldy mostly cause we can’t play him anywhere else. Pearson and Baer have prior chemistry with Bo. This season can’t start soon enough :( Interested to see how things play out with guys like Goldy, Leivo, Jake and the new additions.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Leivo played top 6 a lil bit last season, he wasn’t great but maybe he comes in improved this season. Goldy, Pearson and Baer all have the best odds of top 6 imo. Goldy mostly cause we can’t play him anywhere else. Pearson and Baer have prior chemistry with Bo. This season can’t start soon enough :( Interested to see how things play out with guys like Goldy, Leivo, Jake and the new additions.

I'd be surprised if Leivo cracks the top 6, but that would mean he came into camp very driven and won that spot which I wouldn't be opposed to. More likely he's a very good depth option that could step into the top 6 if we need a shakeup or for injury coverage.

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

I'd be surprised if Leivo cracks the top 6, but that would mean he came into camp very driven and won that spot which I wouldn't be opposed to. More likely he's a very good depth option that could step into the top 6 if we need a shakeup or for injury coverage.

Leivo showed very well in the short season he had with us..  he was given opportunity here, that he did not get in Toronto.

I think Leivo is going to stand out very well with us this season, and his play is going to get him even more opportunities with us.

It seems Your placing guys in positions and at certain levels, because they are or aren’t better than this player or that player.. I don’t see Green putting together lines based on players level of play this season,.  I see it being executed on a more complimentary level.

The Great Strength in 4 lines will defeat the Better Strength of 2 lines in any full 60 mins..

There is a strategy that will wear out finesse in 30 mins.

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Leivo showed very well in the short season he had with us..  he was given opportunity here, that he did not get in Toronto.

I think Leivo is going to stand out very well with us this season, and his play is going to get him even more opportunities with us.

It seems Your placing guys in positions and at certain levels, because they are or aren’t better than this player or that player.. I don’t see Green putting together lines based on players level of play this season,.  I see it being executed on a more complimentary level.

The Great Strength in 4 lines will defeat the Better Strength of 2 lines in any full 60 mins..

There is a strategy that will wear out finesse in 30 mins.

I definitely agree there will be a lot of fine tuning throughout the season depending on each game and how players are performing. The minutes will depend on if the team is ahead or behind and we will roll 4 lines for sure until it gets to that point. But if we need some offense, unless Leivo is having a good game that night, then he's likely not going to be one of the guys they will be rolling out. You do want to build chemistry in lines at some point though, so generally there are certain line combinations though.

So players have to placed on lines to start the game and season, so like I said if he's starting in the top 6, it's because he had a very good camp. Currently on paper he's not surpassing our current "top 6" wingers. We will see how Green handles his new influx of players though along with the ones he's had to work with already.

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I definitely agree there will be a lot of fine tuning throughout the season depending on each game and how players are performing. The minutes will depend on if the team is ahead or behind and we will roll 4 lines for sure until it gets to that point. But if we need some offense, unless Leivo is having a good game that night, then he's likely not going to be one of the guys they will be rolling out. You do want to build chemistry in lines at some point though, so generally there are certain line combinations though.

So players have to placed on lines to start the game and season, so like I said if he's starting in the top 6, it's because he had a very good camp. Currently on paper he's not surpassing our current "top 6" wingers. We will see how Green handles his new influx of players though along with the ones he's had to work with already.

Lol.. Leivo isn’t looking good on paper because he spent 3 1/2 seasons with the Leafs,. and only a half season with us. ;) 

Its a dramatic change for Green,. Instead of looking to hold a game in place with a defensive strategy, he can now be offensive.

Something he hasn’t really had the chance to do..

the blessing is Bo and Jakes Defensive game came up to very good compete levels.. now they too will evolve offensively, each to their own.  It’s an exciting year.

Hats off to F.Aquillini for being patient through this process,. Would not be so good with an owner like Dundon in Carolina.

Benning has us stacked down through the AHL and abroad, a fantastic time /development system is in place where nothing needs to be rushed and players can work on their potential and bring their “best to show” when ready.

Always wished to see the Utica Comets move to Renfrew St..  but those fans are the best, and I’d hate to see our prospects hounded by the Sports Journalists in this City.. most of them have a disease that spreads depression.

Wouldnt mind seeing an ECHL Team here though..  they have expanded west a bit.. he’ll if you can have the Alaska Aces,. You can have the “Vancouver Timber” ;)