The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Josh Leivo

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Dude............ you gotta assess the situation... some players are worth packaging with picks and prospects if you can regain that cap space to get a good player! Understood, Captain Obvious?

so are the canucks giving up picks to offload these players, or receiving picks for them in return like you said in the post that I quoted?

Just now, riffraff said:

Up up down down b a b a select start.

bam!  Ferlandon the roster!

Thanks Son! now you're making sense! but .... wait!! why da hell would you touch the Select & Start?? OMFG... you just ruined it all....

17 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Sorry Guys

I think it is a little bit of an overpayment 

for what he has done and that he is a UFA at the end of the year

He was a $612,500 player last year

I think he should have been given a 2 year @ about 1.1 per

he is a UFA at the end of the year

Don't get me wrong...I like him but he just got a 150% raise

too much!

When you refer to 'overpayment' you should refer to what the player accomplished imo.

He scored 10 goals, 18 pts in 49 games.  That's a 17 goal season - hard to buy those fore less than 1.5 imo.

9 of those goals were 5 on 5.

He scored 10 goals in 59 games previously for the Leafs, while proving to be a good energy, bottom six player that can step up when needed.

I think that cap hit is a borderline no brainer for the team.

Edited by oldnews
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Son... May I have my lunch now without further harassment? :)

So trolling Canucks fans is what you do for lunch? And responding to your nonsense is what you consider to be harassment? You are a twisted little fellow, aren't you? 

3 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

So trolling Canucks fans is what you do for lunch? And responding to your nonsense is what you consider to be harassment? You are a twisted little fellow, aren't you? 

Oh Daddy.. u know me best!!

seriously though... don't harass me when I'm having lunch.. I have a tendency to choke real bad! Picking up my Angus with free fries and drinks.. want a coupon?

Just now, oldnews said:

When you refer to 'overpayment' you should refer to what the player accomplished imo.

He scored 10 goals, 18 pts in 49 games.  That's a 17 goal season - hard to buy those fore less than 1.5 imo.

Here is why I think it is an overpayment...…...

He played 49 games with us

His history has been at a lower rate of scoring at the pro level

He has only played 49 games with us

What if that was a blip and he falls back?

He has no history of scoring at that higher rate at the NHL level

If it is a show me contract, than show me

He is only a 3/4 type player

I see no urgency

I like him, I think he contributes

But long term, is he easily replaceable? I think so

IMO, I don't think that reeks of a 150% raise

Sorry.....

But in saying that, it is not going to kill us

• Wat 4

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hard to complain about that 

Hold my beer....

TOO SHORT!!!! WHAT IS JB DOING!!!!   HE'LL WALK FOR NOTHING!!!!!  ASSET MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

Did I do it right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Hold my beer....

TOO SHORT!!!! WHAT IS JB DOING!!!!   HE'LL WALK FOR NOTHING!!!!!  ASSET MANAGEMENT!!!!!!

Did I do it right?

More or less except complaining about JB is so easy you can do it holding a beer.....

from your arm chair 

• Cheers 1

Decent signing, but he does need to step up is 200 ft game. No question he has offensive upside and skill when he wants to try and score, but he also has a tendency to float a bit if he isn't the one having the offensive opportunity, but if Green can get him working on that part of his game then this will be a good signing.

26 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Dude............ you gotta assess the situation... some players are worth packaging with picks and prospects if you can regain that cap space to get a good player! Understood, Captain Obvious?

You are going to spend picks to move Schaller and/or Goldobin.

With the goal of 'regaining cap space'?

Schaller is 1.8, that if waived becomes 800k. Schaller retained could probably buy you a Reaves (2.75) from a cap tight Vegas team looking to move another contract.

Goldobin isn't even signed, and can't expect more than a hair over a million - equal to literally no cap hit if he doesn't make the roster and a fraction over minimal hits if he is.

That would be a very dumb waste of a pick to move either of them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Decent signing, but he does need to step up is 200 ft game. No question he has offensive upside and skill when he wants to try and score, but he also has a tendency to float a bit if he isn't the one having the offensive opportunity, but if Green can get him working on that part of his game then this will be a good signing.

I think what you have stated is typical of the Team we had that surrounded him last season.

Josh was given a chance here, where ha wasn’t in TO.. I think he showed well.. I think this contract shows that not only are the Canucks genuinely interested in him staying here,. But are allowing for a full season to really pull it together with some great forwards this season,.  And sign for better next season.

• Upvote 1

Absolute worst-case if we really needed cap, we could have recovered $1mil this year by buying out Schaller.  I had thought we could use Spooner in Utica, but considering they bought him out it must mean do they plan at least another signing or want to retain more flexibility this year.