The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Their latest moves testify they are doubling down.  They are prepared to live or die with the skill-alone model.

Which means they will get bounced fast. They were forced by Boston to basically self-neutralize their offense-only approach by making Tavares a shut down matchup type in that series.

Dubas is the most overrated GM and Babcock is the most overrated coach imo. They have even less tools this year to get past teams like Boston.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I'm not in the Barrie camp.  

I don't think the team needs another pmd.  I also like the fact that they have surrounded their 'elite' young core players with the right complements.

It's not just Barrie (that I wouldn't spend the cap on) - I throw the range of Karlssons, etc - or the over-rated Colin MIllers in that category as well.

I think I'd rather see Hughes in the principal play-driving, pmd role / minutes - let him run the powerplay - and evolve and take advantage of his (and EP's) ELCs to fill out the right supporting cast.  I think aside from him they have some good puck moving in the lineup - not necessarily a second pmd, but I'm not sure that was as important as the type of D they did add in this mix.  Among Hughes, Edler (34 pts in 56 games)  Myers (31 pts) , Stecher (23 pts and looking poised to possibly uptick more - a great trajectory last year) - even Benn not bad production at 22 pts - really, there's only a single relatively purely 'shutdown" D in the lineup (and Tanev has an elite first pass, ability to carry the puck - for a shutdown guy).

I think their transition game will be very solid - even without a Barrie type addition.

I wouldn't argue with a countering opinion that there is 'room' for a Barrie, or that his upside might improve the team overall - but all things considered, including the type of terms it will probably take, I'm not really in (and can just imagine what a year of getting ventilated in Toronto will do to him:ph34r:)

For me, a lot of the Barrie need will be clearer after this season. If Hughes can become that top offensive driver and PP guy that we want, then i think the group looks solid. If he struggles, then maybe you consider improving with a guy like Barrie. 

11 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Their latest moves testify they are doubling down.  They are prepared to live or die with the skill-alone model.

yeah - I can understand the Barrie deal - particularly if they follow that up with the other necessary moves - but what I don't get is opting for a Jason Spezza - certainly a 'unique' type of build they are pursuing (never seen anything like that succeed - the closest would be the Pens successes, but they had crucial guys like Bonino - a very good two way C - to complement their one-two punch - and beyond that - a much better bottom six than the Leafs).

I'm shocked that they've chosen a Spezza - which is not to say Spezza is not worth 700k - but to throw him in behind Tavares/Matthews.....even if they were going bargain basement, why not at the very least replace Kadri with a legit hard minutes center......I realize a Jay Beagle doesn't compute in their new age universe, but Brian Boyle and Eric Fehr are still available:ph34r:

Edited by oldnews

I am excited about Ferland. 

I think he's going to score close to 20 goals, depending on who he's playing with. If he's on the top six role, I think he can easily get 20 goals playing with elite players like EP40, Horvat and Brock. 

6 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Both Alberta teams confuse me - Calgary has really done nothing at all - losing Smith for Talbot makes no sense. I thought at least they's re-tool their defence - letting Fantenberg walk has me shaking my head. As for Edmonton they signed a couple of Euro players for cheap - looks like Holland is hoping they can play top 6? And I think he wants to give Tippet a chance to see what he can do with this team that hitchcock couldn't.

I see us definitely fighting for a wild card spot this year.

Calgary is resting on last year's laurels.  Big mistake.

Edmonton confuses me too.  Unless the future D is here and ready to go, both there D is suspect and their forwards won't score enough.

What they could have done with Ferland or Miller.... they are desperate for secondary scoring, and a rival beat them to both.

I hope they beat out Calgary and we get to see McD in the playoffs, but I don't see it happening.  (They won't be finishing above us this year.)

41 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I am excited about Ferland. 

I think he's going to score close to 20 goals, depending on who he's playing with. If he's on the top six role, I think he can easily get 20 goals playing with elite players like EP40, Horvat and Brock. 

He already HAS scored 20 goals. He definitely has the potential for more along side EP. He also has experience riding shotgun on a first line going back this Flames days with Gaudreau and Monahan. 

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Odd. said:

So did this page break the record of how fast it got to 100 pages? Only 30 pages less than the Myers thread yet thread was made 3 days ago.

Talk about hype. I'm hyped for this season to be honest. Most improved team in our division. I would argue we are up there in our conference in terms of most improved this off-season.

I was thinking the same.  The first time I saw it, it was already at a 100 lol.

I think the Ferland signing checks all the boxes: future is here, change of culture, a key last piece in building a top 6 (we've been worried about this for 3 years) and remembering our past (Bieksa and Ferland and our last time in the playoffs).

All this in spite of being between seasons, post TDL, post-Draft.  Amazing.   Good fans.

Edited by gameburn

5 hours ago, oldnews said:
Image result for oilers lottery champions

?  maybe the Coil?

At least the Laffs made the playoffs three straight seasons.  Coilers?  Once in the past five seasons.  There's bad.....and there's Oilers bad.  

And before anyone points at the Canucks recent history....we haven't had the privilege of multiple 1st overall picks (heck, not even ONE).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Is anyone kinda excited the possibility of old time hockey for this group of guys? lol

When we lost Gudbranson and then Schenn the past few months I was a tad worried how this team was going to manage physical opponents or deter other teams from taking liberties on our guys.

Ferland, Roussel, Miller, Benn, Beagle, Leivo, Pearson, and possibility of MacEwen, Sautner man our team has some good pushback.

Nothing better than some old school hockey team bounding to rally a team together haha.

Thats one of the things I am most excited about really.

The new identity of our team around hard work, speed, and a heavy take-no-prisoners game sounds like the perfect scene after a generation of the Sedin era.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Truly I'm under zero delusions. I'm not expecting that at all. I think it's going to be a challenge to make playoffs. 

But I think these moves needed to be made. EP needs a heavy power forward and some protection. 

Boeser is a shooter. He doesn't dig pucks in corners not the best back checker. We need a heavier forchecker on both top 2 lines. 

Let's see how it goes. I'll be ok with making playoffs. Not happy if we get swept but even win 1 game or 2 in 1st round. 

Let's see how it unfolds but this team has a chance at playoffs so it's good. 

I agree 100% with the first part of this bolded statement.

I am not convinced of the second.  Green was on record with Boeser being a good overall forward.  He used the ''he gets it'' line more than once in his 2 years. Not that we expect him to fly in, fore check, crash bodies. Then get back abd back check, if a breakout makes its way through intense pressure. No Boeser is not that kind of back checker and his line does not have that kind of defined role.

But in the context of getting back & covering his man.  From his spot in Ovetchkin alley, if we turn over the puck?  Boeser is a details forward and handles his assignments.

I do believe we will challenge San Jose for 3rd in our division.  Particularly if they decide to let Joe Thornton move on, after losing Pavelski.  I believe the Central division will take up both wild cards. I call 50/50 on us making the play off's. Maybe even better? We added considerable size to the D that started last year, plus some pucks skill.  

And we will be fun to watch, and cheer for with Hughes creating tempo. All these hard forwards (Ferlund, Miller, Bo, Roussel, Pearson, Leivo, Jake, etc) winning battles & some fast ones, Gaudette, Motte, Sutter, Jake again creating pressure.   I love the pressure game.

1 hour ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Is anyone kinda excited the possibility of old time hockey for this group of guys? lol

When we lost Gudbranson and then Schenn the past few months I was a tad worried how this team was going to manage physical opponents or deter other teams from taking liberties on our guys.

Ferland, Roussel, Miller, Benn, Beagle, Leivo, Pearson, and possibility of MacEwen, Sautner man our team has some good pushback.

Nothing better than some old school hockey team bonding to rally a team together haha.

Agree.

It's very difficult for the Pettersson and Boeser types (or Horvat for that matter) to play a creative game if they know that they could be concussed at any moment. 

Hockey was always a tough game, but not brain damage tough.   This is a fairly recent thing (barring a few spectacular cases in the past.)   The refereeing and subsequent disciplinary work just hasn't compensated sufficiently for the head injuries and on-going intimidation.   A season or two length suspension for a head hit?  That might work, but we don't have that.  So, until the league ends the practice of concussing the better players, we need old-school protection.  Ferland, Benn, Myers, Miller, Roussel, Woo when he gets here: these guys will be worth their weight in gold.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, PistolPete13 said:

4DA9FC60-75BC-45E2-AF0F-B79B8D6FFB09.jpeg

Meh - we don't need any upgrades in our bottom six, or on our blueline for that matter: we're gonna roll three lines and two pairings all year long, get our money's worth out of JT!

Image result for jim benning shocked

What what?  

Related image

Thanks for Leivo!

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Agree.

It's very difficult for the Pettersson and Boeser types (or Horvat for that matter) to play a creative game if they know that they could be concussed at any moment. 

Hockey was always a tough game, but not brain damage tough.   This is a fairly recent thing (barring a few spectacular cases in the past.)   The refereeing and subsequent disciplinary work just hasn't compensated sufficiently for the head injuries and on-going intimidation.   A season or two length suspension for a head hit?  That might work, but we don't have that.  So, until the league ends the practice of concussing the better players, we need old-school protection.  Ferland, Benn, Myers, Miller, Roussel, Woo when he gets here: these guys will be worth their weight in gold.

Especially in the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1