The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

2 minutes ago, beni said:

I'm surprised Ferland chose Vancouver, glad to have him especially at 3.5M$ That is pretty reasonable considering what he has been bringing to his teams for the past two seasons. 

Why? This city has a ton to offer , and we are not in full rebuild mode anymore . That , and players have a better chance of filling a big role here then other teams that are closer to being cup contenders.  

I really like what this does to the bottom 6. I know management is really high on Sutter and Gaudette didn't exactly take his spot last season, but I thought he looked pretty good the last dozen games and really like the thought of a 3rd line of Baertschi-Gaudette-Leivo. Then something like Motte-Beagle-Virtanen on the 4th until Roussel comes back. This is fun.

My only wishes now are we find a way to move LE and Sutter without it crippling us.

• Upvote 1

Heard this on the radio earlier, was wondering who he might have signed, that it hit me with the amount of detail they were going into it that it was actually Vancouver!

In my many early years of lurking on this site, this is one free agent signing where it seems everyone is super positive on (except the usual suspects). Man it's been forever. It's really starting to feel like hope again isn't it? I'm ready for some playoff action.

Also I could have sworn that I read somewhere during all that Free Agency talk that "Ferland hates Vancouver". Maybe he meant hated playing against us? XD Also, when was the last time we acquired a player that we had hated previously? Although it was only really 2015 so it's definitely cooled off since. Anyway, loving the fact that we've been getting players like Myers and Ferland at 1.5-2 million less than what were some early estimates.

The team is beginning to look good again, and there are still so many future possible additions to this team from prospects and such. I just really hope we can convert this hope into some wins this season and make it to shut up some of those 'experts'!

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, ItTakesAnArmy said:

It is rebuilding, last year most were saying be patient and prospects, well no prospects and suddenly done? The team has got bigger, it needed to but now the team is going to jump on the shoulders of 71 game Pettersson and 145 game Boeser and ride them to what?

The future being sold out you bet ya, ever here of retirement savings? Most people do so why is planning for the future is suddenly thrown out the window because of desperation? Did poster here really think this team was on the cusp of cup run last year?

What is the expected outcome of these deals? Eriksson, how to get rid of that, Sutter, easier but still, all these clause contracts for a team that has only 4 players under 24 on it last year.

Do you think it is a good idea to rush the young players? To pressure them so much? What if any one of them gets hurt? What will this team do in the Expansion draft, who do you not sign? It is no wonder this team is so bad, there is no fore thought or planning involved.

The next GM, if that were to happen today is cornered with 8 clause contracts, less draft picks, two players now that may have concussion issues and a group of vets that all have to be replaced within 3 years, but don't plan on that just sign whoever for whatever and who cares? Winning isn't important, participation is, they should all get a ribbon, oh look he tried hard give him another million.

Building a winner might be hard but building a loser is much easier, who do the Canucks beat out for a playoff spot this season? Name a team? Colorado?, StLouis? Calgary? San Jose? Vegas? Dallas? Arizona? some of these made big improvements as well and some didn't have to they were already 20+ points better.

The perfect roster once on this road JB put the team on, is to rebuild for at least 4 to 5 years, the new NHL makes getting good top end draft picks a must to stay under the cap, a good roster has more than 4 good players under 24 on it.

Ferland helps if he stays healthy no doubt but the cost now counts in the cap and the clause.

At this point, if they can stay healthy and Marky's rise continues, I'd say they're in a spot to contend for the division.  Calgary has not improved and are soft as butter and still have serious questions in goal.  The shine is fading from Vegas.......still a good team, but other teams are figuring them out.  San Jose isn't the team they used to be and just lost their current Captain and the guy he replaced as Captain.  

Colorado is a legit contender, Dallas madesome big moves and look to be tough.......St Louis I'm not sold on, BInnington might have been a one hit wonder.  Arizona........are you for real?

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Pretty surprising news!!! Happy to have this PRICK on our team. Make no mistake, he's a prick and Green apparently likes him. 

Happy that we're going to be a force next year. Teams won't be happy ending or beginning western trips in Van anymore. Loving.

AAV is puzzlingly good. Well done Jim. 

Sounds like a version of burrows, just bigger and meaner no?