The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

I said before to point at Elias and Brock and say to Jake, "This is your meal ticket", and then let him have at it.  Green hasn't done that, but I do believe that Ferland will do the job well just the same.  Not the same era, but MF-EP-BB could be our version of Semenko-Gretzky-Kurri ... hey, we can hope, and that line needed a MF (that's not a dirty thought, by the way, just recognition that Ferland will do the dirty, physical lifting and fighting as necessary on that line which will allow it to dominate), so I can't complain.  Watch the powerplay explode, as Ferland will do what needs to be done by parking in front of the net and causing havoc (did it extremely well last year on the Hurricanes), forcing at least one defender to concentrate on him, and opening up the ice for 4v4 action with BB and EP down low and JT Miller (defensive presence in case on an odd-man rush) and Hughes at the point.  I think a lot hinges on OJ now.  If he can come in and be a solid 3rd pairing option at the start of the season, then suddenly you have 1. Edler 2. Hughes 3. OJ on the left paired with 1. Myers 2. Tanev+Stetcher (we know Tanev will be missing games) 3. Benn.  Save Edler a bit by having him and Myers or OJ run the second PP, and sit Tanev every few games while rotating Stetcher et al in and out of the lineup.  Very interested in new season!                 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Ferland play center?  Think it’s a bit premature to expect anybody on the roster (ie, Gaudette) to be able to handle Sutter’s tough defensive C assignments.

Beagle

Horvat 2knd

Gaudette 3rd

That is the way defensive assignments would be deployed.

Does Macewen play C?

not a bad nhl option for injuries...

• Cheers 1

Over the moon with this signing! I’ve wanted ferland all along but after acquiring miller didn’t think it would happen. Man this team looks scary now, that forward group is heavy and mean looking! Teams better keep their heads up cause this is a whole new canucks they will be facing. People wanted pushback? Well we got some more today, future looks bright! And at 3.5?! What a steal!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The Petey factor.

Plus, this is a pretty great hockey market.

ANNNND, this city's beautiful.

Petey, Boes, Bo and QH are big reasons why JB is getting guys on good deals.  Gone are the days of having to over pay to get gys to come to Van.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

In hearing a clip from JP Barry from this morning on 1040, it sounds like both sides want to get this thing out of the way.

Said they're past any requests on the board and they're all looking for a solution and that changes can still happen.   With the FA wave having subsided it opens the door for a trade or ?  

I'm glad it's not just a matter of "he loves it here and wants to stay".  It seems everyone wants to close this chapter and move on so...hopefully.

I'm insulted that they no longer value my opinion. I'm a genius, eh?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I guess I throw my lineup on the pile. 

Miller Pete Boeser

Bae Bo Pearson

Ferland Sutter Virtanen 

Roussel Beagle Leivo

Depth: Gaud, Goldy, Motte, Zack Mac

Take notice 1st liners around the NHL when you play the Canucks all you're gonna see all night long is Ferland Sutter Virtanen breathing down your necks.  Finally we have a bottom 6 who can play the matchup game and allow Bo some higher quality minutes. 

what i like about that group is how many guys can step up a line to cover injuries. 

'resilient' is what pops out at me. 

• Upvote 4