The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Micheal Ferland

The great thing about this signing is the versatility it adds to our top 9. If Baer is hurt or not producing as hoped, or Pearson can't continue his play with Horvat from next year, then Ferland has the ability to step into the top 6. If all our guys play great, Ferland is suited for a third line role and his contract is not an overpayment for that role either. As great as I think he could look next to Petey and Brock, I think him and Virtanen on opposite wings of the same line could be a menace for teams (assuming Virtanen continues progression and has a bit of a fire lit from Ferland). Green has a lot of flexibility in how to deploy his forward group now. Basically the only combo I don't want messed with to start the season is Pearson and Horvat as Horvat really seemed to bring Pearson back to life. If it doesn't work again early though, Pearson could be moved up and down the lineup. 

I probably start the year with something like this:

Miller Petey Brock

Pearson Horvat Baer (give Baer a chance to re-secure his top 6 role, unless we can move him out for something decent)

Ferland Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Gaudette in the Ahl being first call up, Rousell on LTIR.

There are also options of moving Leivo into the top 6.

All in all, this forward group has a ton of options for all situations. If our young guys can keep progressing, our middle aged guys can produce as shown in the past, and we can actually stay healthy, I really think this is a playoff team. 

Go Canucks! Lets make that 1st to tampa a 31st overall! (let me dream)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Ya cause we didn't need d prospects, right? My point exactly is we did. 

Took a while to get you to say the why.

But we also needed young scoring wingers

The point we are both making is moot.

The trade was a fine trade, no winner no loser. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

He's produced at a top 6 rate since he's been here. It looks like you just like to say things, for the sake of saying them.

Doesn’t matter. He’s too often injured. What is the organizational difference between Virtanen’s current inconsistencies in his game and an oft-injured player like Bärtschi? None; both scenarios create limited production.

Injuries will happen no doubt. But Bärtschi, Sutter and Tanev are much bigger liabilities to the organization than rookies trying to make it as the afore mentioned are counted on to carry the team in their own capacities.

They should be out.

Bärtschi

Sutter

Tanev

Eriksson (gave up)

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the root of the whole thing was Linden wanting to give the Sedin's one more run. Linden was very open about that, I heard him say in person at a season ticket event that it wouldn't be "fair" to the twins to do a tear down. 

So from that pov, Jim did what he could, some expensive veteran signings and burning some futures for tweener projects. 

The sad thing is, rebuilds can happen in just a couple of seasons so the Sedin's may have got back to the playoffs in a better way had they just committed to two years of tankage. 

But looking at the team on paper today, and adding in Podkolzin, Tryamkin and maybe Hollander as early as a season from now is pretty exciting. 

Woo, Podz, Tree, Woo, AG, OJ and Hogs  should replace most of Edler, Benn, Tanev, Pearson, Sutter and Bear in as few as two seasons from now (ok the start of the one after that).   It’s a good thing too because likely both EP and Hughes will command as much as 16-20 million.  Out is around 25 million.  All the guys I’ve listed will be 1-3 at the time, which is an additional 7-15 million likely. Soooo on the high side we will need 35 (not happening) on the low side 23, right around with what we will have.  Good thing the NEXT year EP is gone, and the Luongo cap hit.  As we will definitely need the additional 9 million to sort things out and fill a hole or two.  

I am starting to hate LEs contract.  

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Picks for other teams projects is never a solid decision imo. It's not like I'm totally angry I just wanted to point that out b4 I praised JB so I didn't get called a "jb nut hugger."

I dont agree as it can work out. It's a gamble of course but so is any pick that you may have made. I look at Justin Schultz. He was unloaded for a pick and has worked out nicely for the Pens. Baer could still go either way as he is a very talented player, injuries aside. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Woo, Podz, Tree, Woo, AG, OJ and Hogs  should replace most of Edler, Benn, Tanev, Pearson, Sutter and Bear in as few as two seasons from now (ok the start of the one after that).   It’s a good thing too because likely both EP and Hughes will command as much as 16-20 million.  Out is around 25 million.  All the guys I’ve listed will be 1-3 at the time, which is an additional 7-15 million likely. Soooo on the high side we will need 35 (not happening) on the low side 23, right around with what we will have.  Good thing the NEXT year EP is gone, and the Luongo cap hit.  As we will definitely need the additional 9 million to sort things out and fill a hole or two.  

well, lets see if Jim's golden summer can continue :lol: maybe he finds a home for him yet. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the root of the whole thing was Linden wanting to give the Sedin's one more run. Linden was very open about that, I heard him say in person at a season ticket event that it wouldn't be "fair" to the twins to do a tear down. 

So from that pov, Jim did what he could, some expensive veteran signings and burning some futures for tweener projects. 

The sad thing is, rebuilds can happen in just a couple of seasons so the Sedin's may have got back to the playoffs in a better way had they just committed to two years of tankage. 

But looking at the team on paper today, and adding in Podkolzin, Tryamkin and maybe Hoglander as early as a season from now is pretty exciting. 

This is exactly right and it’s easy to see. Although you still see a lot of posters on this board with the belief that the focus hasn’t changed and the plan has been the same since day one.  

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Starting?  What has taken you so long?

In all seriousness, I love the Ferland signing.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and be the wrecking ball with the ability to pitch in with a 20-20 for foreseeable future.  The Canucks have all the makings of a rabid wolf pack.  Just the sort of team I love watching. 

Getting closer to being the Big Bad Canucks.  Too bad that cap space won't permit it, but an Adam McQuaid signing would have rounded out an uber phenomenal off-season for JB (not sure what I would call it if JB was able to shed the Loui contract...I would probably lose my mind with joy).

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

The great thing about this signing is the versatility it adds to our top 9. If Baer is hurt or not producing as hoped, or Pearson can't continue his play with Horvat from next year, then Ferland has the ability to step into the top 6. If all our guys play great, Ferland is suited for a third line role and his contract is not an overpayment for that role either. As great as I think he could look next to Petey and Brock, I think him and Virtanen on opposite wings of the same line could be a menace for teams (assuming Virtanen continues progression and has a bit of a fire lit from Ferland). Green has a lot of flexibility in how to deploy his forward group now. Basically the only combo I don't want messed with to start the season is Pearson and Horvat as Horvat really seemed to bring Pearson back to life. If it doesn't work again early though, Pearson could be moved up and down the lineup. 

I probably start the year with something like this:

Miller Petey Brock

Pearson Horvat Baer (give Baer a chance to re-secure his top 6 role, unless we can move him out for something decent)

Ferland Sutter Virtanen

Leivo Beagle Motte

Gaudette in the Ahl being first call up, Rousell on LTIR.

There are also options of moving Leivo into the top 6.

All in all, this forward group has a ton of options for all situations. If our young guys can keep progressing, our middle aged guys can produce as shown in the past, and we can actually stay healthy, I really think this is a playoff team. 

Go Canucks! Lets make that 1st to tampa a 31st overall! (let me dream)

Again tho i want to see petey and brock on different lines 5 on 5 as petey feeds brock to much and doesnt use his shot but load up pp with them on each wing on left and right halfwall 

2 hours ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Starting?  What has taken you so long?

In all seriousness, I love the Ferland signing.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and be the wrecking ball with the ability to pitch in with a 20-20 for foreseeable future.  The Canucks have all the makings of a rabid wolf pack.  Just the sort of team I love watching. 

Getting closer to being the Big Bad Canucks.  Too bad that cap space won't permit it, but an Adam McQuaid signing would have rounded out an uber phenomenal off-season for JB (not sure what I would call it if JB was able to shed the Loui contract...I would probably lose my mind with joy).

Perhaps Ferland can accidentally on purpose  run over Eriksson in practice and get him on LTIR? I have no respect for disrespect.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

This is exactly right and it’s easy to see. Although you still see a lot of posters on this board with the belief that the focus hasn’t changed and the plan has been the same since day one.  

Who could be that myopic though? The fact that Linden got canned shows the plan changed.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So from that pov, Jim did what he could, some expensive veteran signings and burning some futures for tweener projects

But looking at the team on paper today, and adding in Podkolzin, Tryamkin and maybe Hoglander as early as a season from now is pretty exciting. 

I agree that others were pulling the strings and now I think this is free reign to JB now and we see the results and I'm sure happy.

27 minutes ago, Wanless said:

Took a while to get you to say the why.

But we also needed young scoring wingers

The point we are both making is moot.

The trade was a fine trade, no winner no loser. 

I never liked the deal from day 1 but no certainly it didn't cripple the team.

26 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

He's produced at a top 6 rate since he's been here. It looks like you just like to say things, for the sake of saying them.

Nah, not really. By your logic if someone comes up and gets a point in their first game and then goes back down they're producing at a ppg pace...

16 minutes ago, rekker said:

I dont agree as it can work out. It's a gamble of course but so is any pick that you may have made. I look at Justin Schultz. He was unloaded for a pick and has worked out nicely for the Pens. Baer could still go either way as he is a very talented player, injuries aside. 

Imo JB has drafted well so I would have sooner rolled the dice on him making a selection.

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

See my response to Jimmy.

• Cheers 1

Ferland sounds excited to join the Canucks, and says he's met with Benning etc. and is looking forward to playing with PEEDERSON and BOZER. That's how he pronounced their names lol 

I noticed Johnston (the Province) has already started his negative commentary on this signing, saying Ferland is a 3rd line player who might get a shot with Bo's line. Then he went on about Ferland's previous concussion. Canucks can never have anything nice. 

It sounds to me like the Canucks brass already talked with Ferland about playing with Pettersson and Boeser, and I think it makes sense. Not sure who Ferland played with in CAR lat year, but he produced 40 points in 71 games. Not bad at all. He'll get more playing with #40 and #6. 

• Cheers 1