The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Report: Coyotes ticket sales soar after Phil Kessel trade

Rate this topic

If you have a 1,000 season ticket holders and 100 people sign up you know that's a 10% increase. 

Yes technically its soaring. But if they show a full building for the regular season then I would be surprised. 

Last years attendance was just under 14,000. Now is that actual sales? Or some of the tickets given away? 

On top of it Gila River Arena despite having luxury boxes has only 17,125 seats for Hockey. Given that it was built in 2002 that's a pretty small rink. 

Arizona has the 3rd lowest average attendance, only ahead of Florida and New York Islanders.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, goog16 said:

Finally not a NHL welfare franchise anymore...

Well.. the article says season tickets are up 600% from last year - so if last year they had 30 season ticket holders they'd only need 180 more for it to be that big of an increase. If it was from 300 to 2100 that's not too bad - hence why i want to see the actual numbers not just a percentage.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

Just saw this on Sportsnet and had to post:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/report-coyotes-ticket-sales-soar-phil-kessel-trade/

Hockey fans are well aware of the impact Phil Kessel can have on the ice and the Arizona Coyotes are quickly learning of the financial impact Phil the Thrill can have on a team off the ice.

According to statistics obtained by The Arizona Republic, Coyotes tickets sales have skyrocketed since the team acquired the talented winger from the Pittsburgh Penguins less than two weeks ago.

Total ticket sales are up 550 per cent, while season-ticket sales have increased 600 per cent compared to the same time one year ago. The team’s website and app traffic plus its social media engagement have also increased, per the report.

“It’s certainly satisfying and exciting to see us doing something as a franchise that we feel makes us a much more competitive team and puts us in a better position to win,” Coyotes president and CEO Ahron Cohen told reporter Richard Morin. “The fact that other people in this market are seeing that, fans are seeing that, and they’re jumping on board. It’s good, positive momentum for this organization.”

John Chayka has completely reshaped the Coyotes roster since being named general manager in May of 2016. In fact, only two players from the 2015-16 edition of Yotes – Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Brad Richardson – remain on the active roster.

The Coyotes haven’t qualified for the playoffs since that improbable run to the Western Conference Final in 2012 but are coming off their best regular season in five years and have momentum heading into 2019-20.

Chayka, who remains the youngest GM in the NHL, has been active on the trade front from the get-go but his acquisition of Kessel is his biggest move to date.

The New Jersey Devils are the only team that has scored fewer goals than the Coyotes in the salary cap era (excluding the Vegas Golden Knights who joined the league in 2017-18), so it’s no surprise the fan base seems delighted about finally having an offensive weapon like Kessel.

Anyone else curious what actual tickets sales and season ticket holder numbers are?

Previous season ticket sales: 1.

After Kessel trade: 6.

There's 600% increase.

I don't like this sort of stats being reported in percentages.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

phil-kessel-hot-dog.jpg.6f999257608625d7b79baa842ec04ddd.jpg

Kessel should have done this in front of Simmons or whoever it was that reported that garbage about Kessel and his hot dog.

Toronto media is such a garbage. Kessel didn't deserve that treatment from the garbage Toronto media. Vancouver media is pretty terrible but it's not too bad in comparison. Well, I guess Vancouver media is more like awkward than garbage. The questions they ask just makes my face go red with embarrassment.

The last awkward question was asking Myers about negativity about signing him among the fanbase and if that had any effect on his decision making process. And Myers is like, "haha I didn't know there was negativity." He laughed it off like a nice guy but man that was an awkward question. Is there a school teaching you how to ask awkward questions in Vancouver? School of awkward question journalism of Vancouver?

• Like 1

I have personal reasons why I really want AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to do well.  So I am cheering for the desert dogs.  All the joking about Phil is ridiculous.  He will score a lot of goals in Phoenix and will be a fan favourite (if he isn't already).

I don't get how the fans of NYI's won't back their team.  Bottom of the league in attendance is a disgrace.

10 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I have personal reasons why I really want AZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ to do well.  So I am cheering for the desert dogs.  All the joking about Phil is ridiculous.  He will score a lot of goals in Phoenix and will be a fan favourite (if he isn't already).

I don't get how the fans of NYI's won't back their team.  Bottom of the league in attendance is a disgrace.

They've been horribly run for years and had a management/ownership that didn't really care until Tavares was almost ready to leave and by then it was too late. They finally got wins and made it to the playoffs, but they are playing some crazy trap system that's got to be boring to watch. Their top point guys dipped by like 20-25 points, but yet still won, which goes to show you how defensive things have gotten there. I don't think NYI want to continue playing this way but if it works with the current personnel, then I don't think they'll complain about playoff revenue.

They've also had some weird building agreement which makes it difficult to even get season tickets because they're not playing in one building.

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2019 at 2:10 PM, higgyfan said:

In addition to what Theo said on the reason for NYI's poor attendance, another part of it is just the fact that they're the second team in a "two team" town.  The Rangers dominate the city.

It was the same for decades with the Clippers and the Lakers in LA. The Cubs in Chicago will always sell out even in last place, and the Sox weren't even selling out when they won the World Series in 2005.  The Islanders unfortunately suffer in the same fashion, they always play second fiddle to the Rangers.