The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The future of Troy Stecher

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

I don't see $4M being very high for a young top-4 defenseman. The cap is a lot higher than it used to be. $4M is middling money.

That’s the thing though - he’s not top 4 on a decent team (we’ve been a bottom feeder during his time here). He’s an acceptable 6, 7 or 8 on a playoff team.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Salacious Crumb said:

That’s the thing though - he’s not top 4 on a decent team (we’ve been a bottom feeder during his time here). He’s an acceptable 6, 7 or 8 on a playoff team.

You are objectively wrong.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baer. said:

I don't see $4M being very high for a young top-4 defenseman. The cap is a lot higher than it used to be. $4M is middling money.

I've got him on the 3rd pair even on the Canucks as they are now.  He can be a number 6 on a very good team.  But the beauty is that he can play up the line up so I don't mind paying north of $3.0.  If Myers pans out, having Stech signed gives Benning the option of moving Tanev.  

Then with Tryamkin and Woo coming over the next couple of years they have options for the future

33 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

That’s the thing though - he’s not top 4 on a team with exceptional d depth (we’ve been a bottom feeder during his time here). But he’s a great, versatile 5, 6,  or 7 on a highly ranked  playoff team.

FTFY

37 minutes ago, Baer. said:

I read a rumour he would have gotten 4.1

I’d rather have Stecher at that price than Hutton but anything more than 4 is starting to feel high for me for what he’s done so far.

A lot will depend on how he does this year, too, I guess.  If he hits 30+ points with our upgraded lineup then he gets his 4 plus change and we should be happy.  

Otherwise, as much as I like Stech, he doesn’t add the “extra” stuff like toughness, PP, PK, big point shot, etc to warrant too much money.  If you can nab Benn at 2x2 I’m not sure 25 point Stech at 4+ makes sense as much as I like him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

don't we all need to see how stecher plays this season

before attempting to answer the questions posed in this thread ?

alflives - please post your crystal ball

we are gonna need some help here

Of course.  I don't think anything happens until well after Christmas.

59 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Explain to me how you rate him as a Top 4 defenseman? Explain to me how he is better then Biega other then age? 

Not disrespecting the guy I love his heart but I don't see the optimism you obviously do with his potential. He was given a chance on the PP and I did not see potential as a future PMD. Hughes on the other hand? Its pretty obvious what a young PMD is supposed to look like. Enlighten me would ya? B)

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I’d rather have Stecher at that price than Hutton but anything more than 4 is starting to feel high for me for what he’s done so far.

A lot will depend on how he does this year, too, I guess.  If he hits 30+ points with our upgraded lineup then he gets his 4 plus change and we should be happy.  

Otherwise, as much as I like Stech, he doesn’t add the “extra” stuff like toughness, PP, PK, big point shot, etc to warrant too much money.  If you can nab Benn at 2x2 I’m not sure 25 point Stech at 4+ makes sense as much as I like him.

That's what I was trying to explain. There are so many attributes that make a good defenseman a lot of guys look at 1 or 2 things and that's it. He is too small to go into the boards and come out on top and he doesn't have the smarts of a Hughes to outsmart his opponents. He doesn't regularly play on the PP or the PK and that's because he doesn't have the attributes that others do. I don't know how others don't see that.

I was given the same grief for my opinion on the Sedins as well because even if they held some unbelievable attributes, they were not complete players. I think its one dimensional and I like they player(s) who come with the complete package. I want my TEAM to succeed and not just the PLAYER. If you don't have all the tools in your toolbox then I would rather see someone else in that spot. 

Hutton was given an opportunity and so will Stech. This year will seal his fate and so he will have to play a little more offensively if he wants to stick with the club.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

I've got him on the 3rd pair even on the Canucks as they are now.  He can be a number 6 on a very good team.  But the beauty is that he can play up the line up so I don't mind paying north of $3.0.  If Myers pans out, having Stech signed gives Benning the option of moving Tanev.  

Then with Tryamkin and Woo coming over the next couple of years they have options for the future

We live in the Cap Era so we don't have the luxury of paying him more because we MIGHT need him to play up in the line up. Sorry but Stech is no Tanev. With Tryamkin, Juloevi, Woo, Hughes etc. the writings on the wall for Stech unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Explain to me how you rate him as a Top 4 defenseman? Explain to me how he is better then Biega other then age? 

Not disrespecting the guy I love his heart but I don't see the optimism you obviously do with his potential. He was given a chance on the PP and I did not see potential as a future PMD. Hughes on the other hand? Its pretty obvious what a young PMD is supposed to look like. Enlighten me would ya? B)

Because he plays 20 minutes a night, is responsible defensively against mid level competition, and can add a few points on top of that. Sounds like top-4 to me.

exposed in the expansion draft  and no. im not saying it because I don't like stecher  either , its the numbers game. the canucks  can only protect 3 or 4 d men in the expansion draft, would trymakin have to be protected?  if he came back..  , im just thinking seattle is going to follow the vegas model and grab as many dman as they can  

4 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The disrespect to one of our most consistent and hardworking defensemen in this thread is absolutely baffling. His underlying numbers are great, he can contribute offensively, he likely won't ask for much, he's still young, and he's feisty as all hell, despite his size. He's the type of guy you win with. He'll never be a Norris contidate, but as a bottom pairing guy he's about as good as it gets. 

Why would he “likely not ask for much,” when all of the above is true?   Management chose not to qualify Hutton since they felt that an arbitrator would award Hutton too much money (based on the fact that Hutton has significant top 4 minutes).   Stecher has had even more top 4 minutes than Hutton.

I like Stecher, but we have to realize that the Canucks will have some cap issues that they’ll need to deal with next summer.   They’ll have to re-Sign Markstrom, and they’ll have to deal with Tanev, Tryamkin, and Virtanen as well.  

Something will have to give.  

9 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The future of Troy Stecher

Stecher will be an RFA at Season’s end.  I haven’t checked the details of his contract, and have no idea as to whether he’ll have arbitration rights or not, but if he does, I’m sure that he’d be able to command significantly north of 4 million.  Stecher has not only spent much of his time in a first pairing capacity, but he’s also spent significant amounts of time playing on a top pairing with Alex Edler.   This season, he will likely spend more time on the 3rd pairing with Benn, but who really knows what will happen.

My questions with Stecher are as follows:

1) What would Stecher be awarded by an arbitrator if it came to that?   

2) Would the Canucks be able to re-up Stecher given that Markstrom and possibly Tanev will need to be re-upped?  (and we also need to consider the fact that if we choose to move on from Tanev and Tryamkin returns, then it’s very likely that Tryamkin will be getting that Tanev money anyways and so much of that 4.45 million would go to Tree).  Oh yeah - did I mention that Jake Virtanen will need to be re-upped?

3) Will we need to trade Stecher at this year’s deadline regardless of where we are in the playoff race?

4) Is it possible that we choose not to qualify Stecher next Summer and give him the Hutton treatment?

5) If the Canucks make the playoffs next year and are forced to surrender their 1st, will Stecher be used to trade for a pick (2nd?) at the draft?   Are there teams out there that would gladly qualify Stecher, and then give him 4+ million?

Just had to respond to this.

1) Stecher does have arbitration rights next season

2) His qualifying offer is $2.325 mill

3) Even if the Canucks offer a 1 year deal he will be a RFA after the deal therefore, he will still have to be protected to keep him from the expansion draft. 

Therefore their is a few things that could happen

1) he signs a longer term deal then 1 year and JB and his team will have to decide to protect him or not in the expansion draft

2) The Club and him cant decide on a longer contract and therefore goes to arbitration and the Canucks can decide to sign him or walk away.

3) Stecher has a terrible season and JB and company do not qualify him and he becomes a UFA

Arbitration at his current rate of scoring and mins played would probably IMO offer him between $3.5-$4 million based on past arbitration judgements for same type of players. Of course if he plays terrible this season it could be lower but I would doubt it be much higher unless he had a major breakout season which would mean 10 goals 40 assists 50 pts.

Arbitration does look at the fact that the club is not buying UFA years.

Arbitration does tend to focus on pts and mins played based on my analysis of past rulingsand the guide lines set out in the CBA. 

Just a little interesting fact at this point we only have to protect Myers, Stecher and Olli Juolevi. Hughs will have 2 years and is protected under that rule, Benn and Edler are UFAs that season and it only really gets complicated if Tanev is signed for more then 1 year. Thus I argue he will sign next year for a 1 year deal.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1