The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Goalie package solution available?

Ok there's been some discussions about this I know, but I haven't seen this in its own thread. 

The Canucks are facing a challenge in net regarding the upcoming Expansion Draft.. Problem 1: a team can only protect one goalie and we have 2 worth protecting. Problem 2: the goalie of the present needs a new contract, while the goalie of the future isn't quite ready for full time duties.

Looking around the league, there are a handful of teams that could use an upgrade in net, whether they need a good backup, part 2 of a tandem, or a bonafide starter. Depending on the target team, Markstrom could be pitched as any of those 3.

The teams I feel should be looking for help in net are: Buffalo, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa, & San Jose.. 

Buffalo is starting to assemble a good team, but I wouldn't put any money on  Hutton or Ullmark being the big man. 

Colorado is trending towards beast mode. With some good offseason moves, they're starting to look scary, but I'm not sure if Grubauer can carry them alone. 

Columbus is still mopping up after the train wreck, hard to tell how this season plays out. Korpisalo isn't terrible, but he's somewhat unproven. Could use a tandem there. 

Detroit is a good distance from competing, but an upgrade in net wouldn't hurt. Howard is the number 1 for now, but he's 35. It's time.. 

Ottawa is similar to Detroit - there's no sense breaking the bank on a big name goalie. Anderson is 38, and his best games are behind him. And hey - wouldn't it be great for Marky & Nillson to be together again? 

San Jose is a bit strange.. with sub - par goalie stats, they still manage to put up wins. However, they lost some talent this offseason, and might need more than Jones can muster. 

As I see it, COL & SJS are in win now mode (SJ's window is possibly closing), BUF & CBJ are mid - pack teams, and DET & OTT are just trying to win a few games. 

Question 1: Who is the best target? 

ie: who wants him enough to give us a good return (maybe even that 1st we lost ::D

Question 2: When is it best to trade? 

When can Demko take over? Or do we find a 'Ryan Miller' to ease TD into #1? 

Question 3: What's the package? 

Can we move Tanev, Sutter or (gulp) Eriksson at the same time? Or maybe sweeten with a Madden or Lind etc? 

Or on the other hand, do we just stay put? Re-sign Marky and let the chips fall where they may come ED time? 

Markstrom plus for Risto wouldn’t be a bad choice, but wouldn’t be a trade to consider until we know until Demko is proven ...  edit:  Hutton had some great spells too, bet their fans are at least as high on him as we are on Demko...

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

Well we could just get rid of all our useful unprotected players to prevent the other team from getting anything good.  Would that make you feel better?  Of course that would harm us more than the other team but at least they wouldn't be able to steal anything good from us.  My point is that we need to face the fact that if we want to have a good team with depth at every position we are going to have to give up something that we don't want to in the expansion draft.  That hurts but it isn't necessarily a bad thing overall, it just means that we're becoming a good team.  The expansion draft sucks but we just have to suck it up and live with it.  And yes we need to "manage assets" but if we do it from a position of fear we end up harming ourselves more than anyone else.  Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Psst.

It's 2019.

The expansion draft is in June 2021.

Bring up this topic near the trade deadline in 2021. 

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of this season. Let's see how Demko develops. Let's see what happens in Utica. 

How will DiPietro fare in the minors? Will Kielly surprise? 

A lot can happen before training camp. 

Pretty much

Benning has the goal position just the way he wants it.  2 players dukeing it out for the #1 job and he has time for this to play out before the expansion draft.

OP is right, 1 should be traded before the expansion draft, and I think that guy's value is only going to go up in the year to year and a half between now and when that decision has to be made.

Once it is decided whether Markstrom or Demko is the keeper, he has another battle between that guy and DiPietro

As long as we dont sign Marky long term I am good with it. He had a solid year last season, lets hope he can put another year like that together again for us. My gut says if Demko can keep learning and progressing he is the G of the future that I would keep around long term. His age fits well with our core, Marky is going to be 30 soon and his next contract wont be short term, I assume he is going to want 4-5 years at a decent cap hit if he has another good year.

I hope Demko has a good pre season and earns more games with his solid play for the upcoming year.

Buffalo would be an interesting trade partner for Marky tho, they could use a G, I don't see us trading Marky until at earliest the TDL but even then with the moves we have made I doubt he gets moved at all.

If Marky would accept a 2-3 year extension right now I might consider it, as if he plays well it will only cost more or add term to the deal. Demko has 2 years on his new deal so ideally a 2 year extension would be best for Marky 2yr 8-10m range?

I think it behooves Vancouver to develope  Demko this year to take over..Wouldn't the optimum to be have Demko ready to be the starter when Markstrom becomes a UFA after this year.Whats the point of re-signing Marky if the risk is having Seattle take him the next season in the expansion draft.The optimum would be that Demko takes over and the Canucks sign a backup next summer for 1 to 2 seasons depending on where Depietro is in h[s devolopement.Also if Markstrom still has a strong season even with less games played he would be a hell of a trade chip at the deadline.

Edited by cowboy644

Or, just let Seattle take whatever goalie we don’t protect. If they choose that route. We’re gonna lose someone regardless. No point trading Marky, cause Seattle will just take somebody else then we’re down two assets instead of one. Besides, the ED is like two years away. Any number of things can happen between now and then.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

Ok there's been some discussions about this I know, but I haven't seen this in its own thread. 

The Canucks are facing a challenge in net regarding the upcoming Expansion Draft.. Problem 1: a team can only protect one goalie and we have 2 worth protecting. Problem 2: the goalie of the present needs a new contract, while the goalie of the future isn't quite ready for full time duties.

Looking around the league, there are a handful of teams that could use an upgrade in net, whether they need a good backup, part 2 of a tandem, or a bonafide starter. Depending on the target team, Markstrom could be pitched as any of those 3.

The teams I feel should be looking for help in net are: Buffalo, Colorado, Columbus, Detroit, Ottawa, & San Jose.. 

Buffalo is starting to assemble a good team, but I wouldn't put any money on  Hutton or Ullmark being the big man. 

Colorado is trending towards beast mode. With some good offseason moves, they're starting to look scary, but I'm not sure if Grubauer can carry them alone. 

Columbus is still mopping up after the train wreck, hard to tell how this season plays out. Korpisalo isn't terrible, but he's somewhat unproven. Could use a tandem there. 

Detroit is a good distance from competing, but an upgrade in net wouldn't hurt. Howard is the number 1 for now, but he's 35. It's time.. 

Ottawa is similar to Detroit - there's no sense breaking the bank on a big name goalie. Anderson is 38, and his best games are behind him. And hey - wouldn't it be great for Marky & Nillson to be together again? 

San Jose is a bit strange.. with sub - par goalie stats, they still manage to put up wins. However, they lost some talent this offseason, and might need more than Jones can muster. 

As I see it, COL & SJS are in win now mode (SJ's window is possibly closing), BUF & CBJ are mid - pack teams, and DET & OTT are just trying to win a few games. 

ie: who wants him enough to give us a good return (maybe even that 1st we lost ::D

Can we move Tanev, Sutter or (gulp) Eriksson at the same time? Or maybe sweeten with a Madden or Lind etc? 

Or on the other hand, do we just stay put? Re-sign Marky and let the chips fall where they may come ED time? 

Buffalo is not a playoff team, their tandem is fine for Now.  

Colorado will need some more goaltenders, grubauer + 2 prospects is not good enough.

Doubt van trade marky to Colorado.

Columbus has korpisalo and MERZLIKINS!

They should have adequate goaltending.

Detroit has howard and bernier, who could they get that wants to play in det that would be better?

Sjs with dell and Jones are fine.

Anderson, nilson, Condon, hogberg with a few other Goalies, ottawa has good depth.

1) Marky will be UFA, if he wants 5M + anyone that signs h can have him.

2) Hopefully Demko takes over Jan-feb, if the canucks are in the playoff race markstrom will not be traded.

3) Marky being a UFA means hes not worth alot to begin with, more valuable for him to play out his current contract.

Sutter and tanev have value, eriksson does not. Not sure marky +eriksson is worth a team trading for. Basically give them marky and LE for another cap dump.

Bachmann will be exposed for expansion draft,  marky will be a ufa. 

2 hours ago, Glug Datt said:

My thoughts?

Fans are way to concerned about an expansion draft that is still almost 2 years away.

This is June 2021 that we're talking about here.

This team and all the teams around the league will be SIGNIFICANTLY different by then, and so will all their needs.

Let's just worry about next season and not sweat this question until no earlier than next summer.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Psst.

It's 2019.

The expansion draft is in June 2021.

Bring up this topic near the trade deadline in 2021. 

Markstrom is a UFA at the end of this season. Let's see how Demko develops. Let's see what happens in Utica. 

How will DiPietro fare in the minors? Will Kielly surprise? 

A lot can happen before training camp. 

Wish I could give you plus 10.

I seen a trade proposal on HF Boards that I find interesting...….a gamble, but intersting

Van

Markstrom + Eriksson

for

NJ

Schneider* + 2020 2nd

(* with agreement that he will wave for the Seattle expansion draft)

Here is my thoughts to why...………………….

First off Schneiders number declined as New Jersey sunk, and as their team went into rebuild...……...go figure!

(Ian Clark would probably get Schneid's confidence back!)

Secondly, it unloads a potential + 5 Million Cap space next year, and gives us a 2020 2nd in a deep draft.

3rdly, I believe Schneider has the ability to be a good goalie

Why we don't?

Benning feels Schneider will not rebound...………...that is about it!

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I seen a trade proposal on HF Boards that I find interesting...….a gamble, but intersting

Van

Markstrom + Eriksson

for

NJ

Schneider* + 2020 2nd

(* with agreement that he will wave for the Seattle expansion draft)

Here is my thoughts to why...………………….

First off Schneiders number declined as New Jersey sunk, and as their team went into rebuild...……...go figure!

(Ian Clark would probably get Schneid's confidence back!)

Secondly, it unloads a potential + 5 Million Cap space next year, and gives us a 2020 2nd in a deep draft.

3rdly, I believe Schneider has the ability to be a good goalie

Why we don't?

Benning feels Schneider will not rebound...………...that is about it!

I like Cory as a person. But this is not 2014. Cory's GAA has gone up and up and up. While his save percentage has been getting progressively worse. 

Seattle would go after a d-man or forward over the Redhead. Basically we'd be trading a boat anchor of Eriksson's contact for Cory's. 

I'd rather trade Eriksson to New Jersey for a 7th round pick. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I like Cory as a person. But this is not 2014. Cory's GAA has gone up and up and up. While his save percentage has been getting progressively worse. 

Seattle would go after a d-man or forward over the Redhead. Basically we'd be trading a boat anchor of Eriksson's contact for Cory's. 

I'd rather trade Eriksson to New Jersey for a 7th round pick. 

Markstrom

2018-19 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   60 2.77 0.912  

Schneider

2018-19 New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils NHL   26 3.06 0.903 |        
  Binghamton Devils AHL   8 3.24 0.881 |        
  USA WC   6 2.49 0.920  

I do not see a whole lot of difference in numbers in comparing the 2 goalies NHL numbers last year.

Binghamton was after an injury

and once having a NHL defence and forwards in front of him in the WC, had better numbers...……..

Maybe not his former self, but not really that far off of Markstroms numbers IMO

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Or, just let Seattle take whatever goalie we don’t protect. If they choose that route. We’re gonna lose someone regardless. No point trading Marky, cause Seattle will just take somebody else then we’re down two assets instead of one. Besides, the ED is like two years away. Any number of things can happen between now and then.

This is the lesson learned from the Vegas expansion draft.  No foolish deals for Ron Francis

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Markstrom

2018-19 Vancouver CanucksVancouver Canucks NHL   60 2.77 0.912  

Schneider

2018-19 New Jersey DevilsNew Jersey Devils NHL   26 3.06 0.903 |        
  Binghamton Devils AHL   8 3.24 0.881 |        
  USA WC   6 2.49 0.920  

I do not see a whole lot of difference in numbers in comparing the 2 goalies NHL numbers last year.

Binghamton was after an injury

and once having a NHL defence and forwards in front of him in the WC, had better numbers...……..

Maybe not his former self, but not really that far off of Markstroms numbers IMO

Cory: 6 wins 13 losses   Markstrom: 28 wins 23 losses, on a train wreck defence. 

All earning $3.67 million. 

Unless Ian Clarke rushes into Bennings office, says "Give me 3 weeks with Schneids and I'll turn him into an all-star" I don't see it happening.