The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The curious case of Nikolay Goldobin

Rate this topic

kurtzfan

It seems that there won't be a spot for Nikolay Goldobin. He played well the first half of last season. However, he went downhill the second half.  He had many scoring chances. Yet, none of them turn into a goal.

Do you think the management will sign Goldobin before the training camp?

3 minutes ago, kurtzfan said:

It seems that there won't be a spot for Nikolay Goldobin. He played well the first half of last season. However, he went downhill the second half.  He had many scoring chances. Yet, none of them turn into a goal.

He will sign for $1750128 for 1 season if my calculations are right.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Upvote 2

I hope Goldy is given another shot, but its going to be tough to making the top 13 F. He isnt a 4th liner or 13th man type of player. If he is on our 3rd line do we have the right fit for him with Sutter and Jake?

Still think it may be best to try get some kind of asset for him instead of waiting to waive him where he will get claimed by a team. Goldy plus to Edm for JP just makes sense, they need skill in their top 6, Goldy has that. JP doesnt want to play in EDM, Holland gets a player plus a pick or prospect for potentially the next Yakupov. We are hoping it turns out another way for us tho

Goldy's last salary was a 2-way for $863,333 with a $212,500 performance bonus.  I doubt he made his bonuses. 

I'm sure he has done the math and knows that he's not likely to get more than his qualifying offer.  There's not going to be more than $1M left over after Boeser signs anyways.

He's a long shot to make the new and improved Canucks imo. Who wants to give up assets for a 23 year old who is top 6 or bust who only shows good stuff sometimes?  I think he clears waivers if he signs.  He's a better fit on a team with a more offensively oriented 3rd line

2 hours ago, kurtzfan said:

fringe NHLer

A top six or bust, we'll see how Green handles this.

Green closed out last season by dressing Eriksson over Goldy ( left in the press box ). We would be further ahead with the Goldy situation had he used him then, than to waste our time with him now?

• Upvote 2

Wild card. I'd like to see what he's like in the pre-season, but I think his leash is extremely short. If he even earns a spot on the team, he'll need to keep up his play or else be traded/waived to Utica. I still think his ceiling is a 1st/2nd line forward who can put up 60 points a year, but he remains too inconsistent to stay in the lineup as of last year. He has a very high ceiling, but it's unlikely he reaches it.

For EA Sports fans: Elite [Low]

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, xereau said:

Not very much curious about the guy, really.

Soft as butter.

Inconsistent.

Flashes of holy crap.

Some of the bad:

He has a terrible habit of dropping the puck rather than taking it to the net.

If he hears skates within 50 feet coming towards him he goes into PTSD mode.

He misses the net from bad angles because he refuses to play in hard areas.

Some of the good:

He has a hell of a snapper. Almost at Naslund levels.

He is a high end play maker, when he has the puck in open ice, and is not pressured.

Has the potential, still, to be a very good player.

The biggest issue with Goldy is that I believe he is still maturing, both physically and psychologically. I saw a change in his play last time he was in the lineup, and noticed that he was taking the puck to the boards, and allowing himself to actually be hit in not only protecting the puck, but actually going and aggressively getting it. And then Green took him out of the lineup after like two or three terrible shifts, in a series of games where it looked to me, a non NHL coach, but a very observant fan of the game, like the young man trying his ass off,and finally 'getting it'.  I was one his harshest critics on these forums for a couple seasons there, but I truly saw some good things out of him last season. 

Now, this is where his late maturation is a problem for this team. I feel he is finally on the verge of actually finally breaking out as a NHL top 6 player. But it is probably too late now that the team has gone on and built up the team without him in mind. It is just my opinion that he has a future in the NHL, but it might not be on the Canucks, which sucks. Because he could be scary good still.  Or not, feelings don't matter for crap. I can't quantify my gut feeling any better than my late season observation that I thought Goldy looked to finally be 'getting it'.

On one hand I respect Green's tough love approach to the youth, but it really should be even handed, for when a veteran makes the same mistake, they should be benched too. Goldy has been the whipping boy of the coach for too long. I hope he finds a place in the league if isn't with the Canucks.

You pretty much got it bang on (except for the Naslund wrister, Goldys is probably a couple notches or 3 comparing to Nazzys, for now at least). Last year we did some flashes last year with him, especially when he was with Petey. For some reason, our franchise and Goldy REGARDLESS of who was playing in the other wing produced. Ive said before, there is a correlation to EP40s slump or decreased to production to the time Leivo was inserted in the lineup. Travis has his work cut out for him and is caught in a very peculiar spot, play the guy with lazy tendencies but we WIN, or play the guy that plays the right way and we LOSE. Its fact that EP40's best scoring performances came with Goldy playing on his line, we can't explain it but for some reason there is chemistry there. I still think we shouldnt give up on the kid, or at the very least not give him up for just anything. Theres enough skill and talent level there, with the  right prodding, Goldy can be an every day contributor

• Upvote 1

Hes had plenty of chances, its time for him to move on...with all the new faces comming into the canucks lineup this year, i just dont see him making it, even if given a chance ...i just dont

if hes willing to hang in utica and comeup once someone gets hurt than cool, otherwise, he should try the KHL or another NHL team

• Upvote 1