The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

34 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Not his number one fan but the stability is needed and he definitely is improving as a GM.  Glad the decision has been made and now he can focus on doing his job.  I still think they could use a President.  Also I love the 'lol suck it haters' comments, what defines a hater?  Benning has made some mistakes and this team has not been good since his first year here so obviously there will be some 'hate'.  Call me a hater for questioning why he never upgraded the D last offseason followed by a witty meme I really don't care, I'll always be a Canuck fan...  Discussing systems, offering opinions, hating on Loui, you name it.  Go Nucks. 

I don't like to call them mistakes there more like misses, his intentions are right like the LE signing but like Lucic sh*t happens. All I can say is he is improving as a GM and thats all we can ask for and hell..... look at our prospect pool that in it self is a miracle considering

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Honestly, I like it.

This will prevent Jim Benning from making hail mary moves in order to keep his job. Gives him job security.

I had a feeling this was going to happen anyways, rumor has it Benning just sold his condo to buy a house in Vancouver, so it's pretty clear he was feeling comfortable here in Vancouver.

For all his bad moves (and there's a list of them), I do feel like he's done a lot of good too. He's helped build the strongest prospect pool in Canucks history, made room for players like Boeser, Horvat, and Pettersson to come in, thrive, and grow. And he revamped an aging core into a new, young, exciting team.

This re-signing also makes it crystal clear what is going on -- The Canucks are going to push hard to make the playoffs this year.

Edited by Quantum
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

The twins take over for JB, after he wins a Cup or two! Jimbo becomes Prez. Brackett helps 'em out..paid top dollar for his draft work.

Twins named Co-GM's. Monday-Henrik; Tues-Daniel; etc... right through the wk!

edit: or that 4 days on/4 days off fireman-thing? Hmm..stay tuned!

Good one:towel:

Great news !

Congrat to Benning

He did a good job after the retiring of Sedins. The rebuild has actually started after Twins gone.

This Summer he did lot of good things, and expected Canucks to be a playoff team. The owner extend his contract better than paying higher remuneration to him, after some teams offering high return to him if he brings the team to playoff. (most likely)

The lineup of Canucks for the year 2019-2020 seems quite solid.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Critiques eh? Tell the GM who bats 100%? I mean give me a break are you upset were on the move in the right direction? JB was a GM in training and yes has made some misses but as well has shown the ability to recover and improve on his job as GM and what he's done in the draft is unpresedented in Vancouvers history. Cut the F@#king man some slack.

Its been 4 years in the basement & he just got an extension. Is that not slack? I've praised moves I've liked, but its not all sunshine & rainbows. 

35 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

2 years would be about perfect for me. I imagine the next 2 seasons will be "scrap for a wildcard spot" years, while the 2021/22 season will, if all goes according to plan, be the year we really break into the upper echelon of teams to become a true contender. If we follow that timeline, I feel all will have more or less gone according to plan. However, if we're not seriously contending by the 2021 season, something will have gone wrong, at which point Benning's extension would be up. 

Yeah its a good timeline you lay out. The kids exploding onto the scene gives him the opportunity to build around them. His next challenge is going to be managing the cap. 

• Cheers 1

Congrates to JB . Now time to get things done Sign Boeser [ trade some salary for picks please Sign Brock long term ] than sign Goldie and Get Ian Clark to sign an extension . Than go have a well deserved  Beer 

• Upvote 1

Yes! Congrats Jimbo! It’s well deserved. 

Over his course with us he has restocked the prospect pool, made stellar draft choices with no top 3 selections, revamped the scouting team and built us a young and exciting team to watch.  He’s made me more excited for the future of the team than I’ve been in almost 8 years. 

And it makes me happy to see the usual Benning haters blow a gasket over this. HF boards and Twitter are having a Everest level aneurism. Lol, what tools! 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, an actually qualified hockey person is so much worse than a glorified player agent who made numerous bad trades, couldn't draft to save his life, and alienated most of the other GMs in the league.  There is a reason the idiot Benning replaced hasn't found another job in the NHL and it isn't because he's overqualified.

Gillis was ahead of the curve when it came to maximizing player performance on the ice. You already know the examples ie. hiring sleep doctors, staying in away cities overnight instead of travelling, having the likes of Tom Brady as a guest speaker at player meetings, lobbying for a better travel schedule for the team. We knew we had a GM that was trying to get that extra edge over other GMs.

Benning is the opposite and instills very little confidence, unless it’s draft day (even then he’s only above average).

I always found it amusing/ironic how we have one of the worst records in the last 4 years and yet Benning insists he overpay for “culture carriers” to avoid a “losing culture”.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Its been 4 years in the basement & he just got an extension. Is that not slack? I've praised moves I've liked, but its not all sunshine & rainbows. 

No your not sunshine and roses your just a drag

2 minutes ago, Seinfeld said:

Gillis was ahead of the curve when it came to maximizing player performance on the ice. You already know the examples ie. hiring sleep doctors, staying in away cities overnight instead of travelling, having the likes of Tom Brady as a guest speaker at player meetings, lobbying for a better travel schedule for the team. We knew we had a GM that was trying to get that extra edge over other GMs.

Benning is the opposite and instills very little confidence, unless it’s draft day (even then he’s only above average).

I always found it amusing/ironic how we have one of the worst records in the last 4 years and yet Benning insists he overpay for “culture carriers” to avoid a “losing culture”.

Any you know this how? Are you privy to the goings on behind the scenes and in the locker room?