The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I personally don't see the need to sign a GM before his pact is up. 

1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

The owners also believe that Benning has built a playoff team, and he's being rewarded. Congrats Jim!

There's why.  He's going to see the rebuild through, now that we're close to seeing the results.

Yah, Jim has built something pretty special.....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify
  • Wat 3

36 minutes ago, fecklund said:

You can usually bet that the average GM will make more than the coach, since coaches moving into management in the past have been regarded as being "promoted"
salaries for GM's aren't listed anywhere to my knowledge but you can rest assured it's north of $1-2 Million USD a season. 
Travis Green is making $1M USD this season and next.

Thanks.   And GM's should make more than coaches.  Alot more knowledge and experience required.  Duties pretty vast. 

4 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yah, Jim has built something pretty special.....

2015–16 82 31 38 13 75 191 243 6th, Pacific Did not qualify
2016–17 82 30 43 9 69 182 243 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2017–18 82 31 40 11 73 218 264 7th, Pacific Did not qualify
2018–19 82 35 36 11 81 225 254 5th, Pacific Did not qualify

You're right, the team is improving steadily so the extension was well-deserved.  Especially considering he hasn't even started the rebuild yet...

• Haha 3

2015–16 2015–16 Western Pacific 6th 82 31 38 13 75 191 243   Did not qualify
2016–17 2016–17 Western Pacific 7th 82 30 43 9 69 182 243   Did not qualify
2017–18 2017–18 Western Pacific 7th 82 31 40 11 73 218 264   Did not qualify
2018–19 2018–19 Western Pacific 5th 82 35 36 11 81 225 257   Did not qualify

2019-20   2019-20   Western Pacific 3rd  82 42 30 10 94  259 231   2nd Round Loss
  • Like 1

Good news. JB has learned a lot over the past 5 yrs. He's a veteran GM now. Would have sucked for another team to hire him after he did all his learning on the job here. 

Team is starting to come together now. Let him finish the rebuild. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, IRR said:

That guy is the most negative POS there is!!! He clearly has an agenda and it’s exhausting!! You can dislike things Jim does, but when everything he does is negative / wrong, where does the real issue lye? As George once said, it’s not you, it’s me! Lol! 

Nobody tells me that it's them and not me. If it's anybody, it's me!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You're just gonna keep repeating yourself aren't you?

Without basis of argument or anything.

Without factoring in what he took over, what he had to do to drop the average age by 9 years or almost 40 million in dead contracts.

You're just going to keep posting the same graph every single time.

Looks like the reality of your kingdom is finally catching up to you and you're as sad and morose as the ugly suburb or Vancouver that we know and love.

Sorry bud.  Can't wait for repost #4 though of that graph

It's another example of a serious case of confirmation bias, and that's really sad, as it's no way to live a fulfilling life. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DonaldBrashear said:

OMG! YES!!!!!!! All I can think of when I read this is how pissed off all those "fans" are going to be on hfboards. LOL. CHEERS TO THE CANUCKS!!!!!! WOOO

Twitter just had a stroke. All that's left is the drool emoji.

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

I don't understand it.

You have to be pretty stubborn or blind to not see what has happened to this team.  We bottomed out 3 seasons ago, had a 4 point then 7 point increase and are set to have a solid year.  We've assembled the deepest prospect pool and possibly most skilled this team has ever had.  We have shed almost $40 million and 9 years in age off the roster.  We still have holes and yes over the next 2 seasons we may end up giving out a 1st round pick for a 3rd line 50+ point centre 

But damn you have to be really obtuse to simply point to a graph and use that as your only complaint or argument about benning so far.

Well, such is the sickness of confirmation bias. Anything that refutes someone's inane belief is dismissed and unfounded evidence is circled back to using as real evidence. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The fact the people who I expected to be the most upset and over dramatic are in fact upset and over dramatic makes me like this all the more.

Since Benning took over we've shed almost 9 total years off the rosters average age, over $39 million in aging contracts that couldn't be traded and assembled arguably the deepest and most skilled prospect pool this organization has ever seen.

Yes.  I like this.  Almost as much as the tears on hf forums and irrational reactions from royalty here

Its been 5 years, alot of the players on the team he inherited have retired, are on the verge of retirement, or are out of the league. I hope he would've made the team younger in 5 years. Fair point but I feel like that's a given considering where the team was at.

He did a good job moving out Garrison & Bieksa as they declined, while getting value in return. But he's also signed quite a few poor contracts himself. They had 20 million allocated to forwards who scored less than 30 points last season. 

There's been successes with this group for sure. Most recently addressing needs in the offseason. Leading into what should be an exciting year. But there's legitimate critiques aswell. 

• Upvote 2