The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How long do we wait for a complete rebuild? 6 years? 8 years? I have been a fan of this team since the early 70s and not once have I seen management rely solely on drafting to build a winning team. It all works together, drafting, trades, UFA signings. New blood and experienced players looking for a new start bring excitement and hope. 

In the late 80s this team was coming off 5 subpar years, we had our draft gems (Linden, Bure) and some solid roster players in Larionov, Adams, Butcher, McLean. But it wasn’t until Pat Quinn came in and made a bunch of trades (some unpopular at the time) that the team changed for the better and became a SC finalist.

Very similar situation happening now.

Exactly!!! He can’t seem to understand any aspect of hockey / running a team...and even after yesterday, he’s back spewing more garbage! Unreal!

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

you're totally ignoring Millers play on the boards and physical play, none of which Loui ever had. We're talking about a fit with Petey here. Loui was an excellent fit with the C's he had in Dallas and Boston, he doesn't have that here with Petey, EP needs a physical winger. Millers got 35 lbs on Eriksson. 

Jakes great, again not the right fit on Petey's line. 

Giving up a first for a 13 goals a year guy...  Really... ?    For a rebuilding club...  Really makes no sense. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, IRR said:

Exactly!!! He can’t seem to understand any aspect of hockey / running a team...and even after yesterday, he’s back spewing more garbage! Unreal!

So opinions that differ from yours are garbage..  Wow, i thought tolerance and respect were common nowdays....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well if the club would have started the rebuild after 2011 / 2012 instead of propping up core well past their best before date . .. we would be alot closer .. thats for sure.

Same thing happened in the 80s King, after the 82 run.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

he's consistently a 40-50 pt player over 82 games. Who cares if he has more assists than goals if he's the piece that lets Petey and Brock rip it up?

I hope your right.   I guess we will see what player we ended up potentially losing in the deal.  Maybe in 4-5 years the deal can be evaluated more accurately...

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well if the club would have started the rebuild after 2011 / 2012 instead of propping up core well past their best before date . .. we would be alot closer .. thats for sure.

Maybe ask the Aquaman why they didn't?

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I hope your right.   I guess we will see what player we ended up potentially losing in the deal.  Maybe in 4-5 years the deal can be evaluated more accurately...

I think we'll know by Christmas tbh. Listening to his interviews he seems like the right kind of character we need to. I think that lines going to be hell to match up against. 

• Upvote 1

Next task for this management team is going to be managing the cap & freeing up money. 

They need to find a way out from some of these contracts theyve signed, not just to sign our core but to supplement them properly going forward. 

Elliotte Friedman made a good point on the program yesterday saying that Vancouver hasnt been afraid to make changes even if theres term on contracts (Gillis, Torts).

Pressure is still on for Jim's moves to work out, but it shows a vote of confidence in the core & eliminates the distraction.

Let's try and find some common ground, eh?

Statement 1: Most would say that after the first round loss to Calgary in 2015, a rebuild was in the cards. The team was older and there were little to no viable prospects in the system. That was Benning's first year and that is the situation he inherited.

Q1: Is the above statement fair?

Statement 2: Given the inherited situation, if the team had decided to full out tank I believe it would have taken at least four years to get to this point. 

Q2: Is the above statement fair? And the Leafs can't be used as a counter argument b/c they had almost 9+ years of missing the playoffs before they chose to start their tank-rebuild, as opposed to having consistent success like the Canucks - i.e. TO had higher picks, mid-twenty-year-old players already on the NHL roster, more prospects to speed up the tank-rebuild, etc.

Statement 3: In 2015, if you had told me that in four years the team would have the core it does and be in the situation it is, I would have taken it. The process hasn't always been ideal but the team has a legit young core, some solid veteran pieces, some up-and-coming prospects in the system, and solid goaltending.

Q3: Is the above statement fair?

Statement 4: If you look at most of the cup winners over last decade, they have had two key forwards, a stud offensive d-man, and competent goaltending. Chicago with Toews/Kane/Keith, Pit with Crosby/Malkin/Letang, LA with Kopitar/Carter/Doughty, etc. To me, EP40, Bo/Boeser, and Hughes have the drive and skill to potentially fall into that category. Still need to prove it but I feel the core has the potential.

Q4: Is the above statement fair?

My conclusion: why not extend the core's window to win by adding solid support pieces? Wasn't always pretty but Benning did get the team to this result. The challenge now is turning this group of players into a team that can get into the playoffs and be flexible enough to win playoff rounds in multiple ways. The next three years are crucial and I think Benning has earned the right to see it through.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He had 13 goals once in the last 4 years so he's a 13 goal guy? Lol. Not even gonna acknowledge the fact he had a diminished role in Tampa cause they were stacked to the teeth either. Talk about narrow view. I am not gonna say he's for sure dropping 20+ but I'll go on a limb and say he'll be closer to 20 then he will be to 13. And, his value isn't just in goal scoring. But hey, you just wanna cry about a first rounder so no point in even trying to have a rational discussion about what he actually brings. Why try get better when we can just infinitely draft the next big thing eh? 

The Miller move is the one I'm still not crazy about. I like Miller alot as a player, but to me that cap space couldve been used to sign Nyquist & we keep our first. 

The team is on the rise, but so far still projected to miss for the 5th year in a row. That pick will be unprotected at some point, and Millers really a complimentary player, so it's a risk. 

If we were a consistent playoff team then trading a first for a guy we thought could be a missing piece is one thing. But we still might not have the pieces to be that yet. Outside of Hughes all our D prospects have question marks. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

You really think the Canucks are going to miss the playoffs this year with all these new additions? We didn’t just add one piece!

Too many negative Nelly’s on CDC.

Be happy that the Canucks finally have a competitive team. Miller is a 50 point player that is young and has an excellent cap hit for years to come. That first you so highly value is not comparable, especially when the Canucks are finally done with drafting a top 10 pick.

I love the re-made lineup, but it still rides on the shoulders of very young players.  The playoffs are a very real possibility (if they stay healthy), but it's far from a lock.  If they play well and miss, I'm still good with all the moves made.........making the post season is no easy feat

• Cheers 4