The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks sign GM Jim Benning to contract extension

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

16 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Can i sword fight KingOfSurrey for king title?

More like KingOfISISurrey the way he has terrorized this thread and posters.....

I wish upon a star that the mods add an option to let us members vote to ban excessive trollers.

If you don't like what the canucks are doing well that sucks for you !

although there are 30 other teams in the NHL that would love to have you guys as fans.

Maybe join their forums and contribute in a positive way over there?

King is a solid fan. The guy takes heat because he’s equal parts realist and homer. We’ve been a bottom 5 team for 4 straight years. Our future currently rests on a 19 year old unproven defenseman, a Calder finalist we don’t really have a solid read on and a potential super sniper well worthy of all the hype yet still not anywhere near in the same discussion as a Mathews, Kutcherov, McDavid, Crosby etc. There is lots to be hopeful and optimistic about these days but the superhomers gave to learn to take a chill pill when a well informed and longstanding fan like Kingofsurrey chimes in with a dose of realism in their opinion. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 3:13 PM, Keenan's Moustache said:

I don't think it was the signing that the fanbase was hoping for *cough* Brock *cough*, but at least it will start to generate buzz around the team before training camp opens.

They didn't do this to get the fan base talking in the middle of summer. Very expensive publicity stunt if it was. 

Doesn't one thing to do with Brock signing. 

Good move by the Canucks. I'm happy about. 

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Exactly.   SN reporting on the JB signing had some of the regular things to say about Benning but also added that he practically started from scratch.  Horvat was the only piece he got from the mess the previous regime left (their words).   They also said he’s missed the playoffs 4/5 years but at least added why (most news outlets haven’t been nice to JB his first four years, that’s turning around noticeably back East at least since about a year and a half ago).  

For those that might be worried about some sort of record - well we’ve never missed five but this could be our first time - several teams have not made the playoffs for an entire decade - and a missed bunch 7-9 times in a row.  A few of the recent ones EDM, CAR, FLD at the top then Buffalo 8 ...my favourite TO from 2003-4 (7)and they haven’t won a playoff series for quite a stretch too (14 years ha ha ha).  Oh yeah ARI is also on the list - some are still counting. 

Basically since Sundin left TO hasn’t won anything - or since the peak WCE years.    How many times have we missed the playoffs since Quin came in total?  Not that many really.  In fact we might have made the playoffs more then any other team in the league - aside from Detroit - I’m just too lazy to figure it out.  Yes we’ve missed four times in a row,  and without a GM that drafted as well we’d be missing a lot, lot more.   With 31 teams you cant start with a pile of garbage and expect to do anything but nosedive, and building one player per draft max (star quality) it’s going to take an awfully long time to fill out a roster - five years minimum and that’s hitting on each draft.

No wonder he’s had to use free agents as much, Vegas got a much better deal then he did and so will Seattle.  It took CBJ 7 years to make the playoffs under the old system which was probably kinder then what JB had to work with.  Can’t wait to see what he can manage with a mediocre team, and then in a few years at least a good one (as the core matures).

You know that I still don't agree with a lot of his moves . I still wish they had let things go and focused more on picks. Between him and Bracket their drafting is what has got us here.

I also think that he might be slowly improving in other areas of his job. Or relying more on lower management.  You are only as good as your staff.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

The results are not just in the wins and losses. They are in the constant improvement of the team and the players brought in to improve. sitting back and reading the box scores each day doesnt make you an expert.

LOL - where is the constant improvement.  Did you dream that up as well ?  

Do you see Jouls being top 4 D .  Do you see Virt as a top 6  D?

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You know that I still don't agree with a lot of his moves . I still wish they had let things go and focused more on picks. Between him and Bracket their drafting is what has got us here.

I also think that he might be slowly improving in other areas of his job. Or relying more on lower management.  You are only as good as your staff.

100 % agree.  Rebuliding teams should be acquiring extra picks and not trading firsts  ROUNDers for declining assets/players.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

10 hours ago, spook007 said:

Mostly pretty much bang on...

I like JB, and I do like the team, he has build. We now look like, we are able to stand up to the bullies in the league as well as go toe to toe with the skilled teams. It remains to be seen, if the team can live up to the billing, but the possibility is certainly there.

And of course there has to be a certain connection as well as agreement between the GM and the owners of the way forward. 

After all they pay the bills...

The fact they extend him now have two purposes. Firstly a show of appreciation towards Benning for having done the job, he set out to do, and secondly to buy into the excitement of the fans... Positive vibes sells tickets...

This doesn't change the fact that Aquilini can get rid of Benning at any time, if he should choose to do so. In management everyone gets replaced eventually.... 

The 3rd purpose of course......to shut up the media.....we like Jimmy so quit slinging mud!  And the timing lets the brou-ha-ha die down before camp starts.

Hell, I might even tune into Sekeres tomorrow to listen to him whine.....it could be one of the more satisfying and entertaining shows of the season.  :bigblush:

• Haha 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

respectfully King I think where you're wrong on this is we don't want to give Petey the McDavid treatment. Petey deserves a LW that can play, grind it out and help give Petey more space to work, and Miller is as good a bet as any to do that. Yeah its a high price but lets not leave Petey hanging like Edmonton has with McDavid. 

I see the point of having skilled older guys as providing a backbone for younger kids to develop.....

How did that work out for us with Loui E  / Sutter etc.... ? 

Really not sure if our club has enough young talent to put us over the top in 3-4 years.  Many of your young prospects will simply not pan out.  Development is tricky and many solid prospects do not develop into elite NHL talent.     The last 3-4 years the Canucks have not had as many picks as most rebuilding clubs....

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Hopefully some of the trolls will jump ship with this news.

Let's make sure not to let them back aboard when the team is contending. 

Oh i see. People that have a different opinion than you are trolls...  Tolerant much.  

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I see the point of having skilled older guys as providing a backbone for younger kids to develop.....

How did that work out for us with Loui E  / Sutter etc.... ? 

Really not sure if our club has enough young talent to put us over the top in 3-4 years.  Many of your young prospects will simply not pan out.  Development is tricky and many solid prospects do not develop into elite NHL talent.     The last 3-4 years the Canucks have not had as many picks as most rebuilding clubs....

Miller isn't Loui, he's got a very different skill set. Sutter when healthy is a solid player, not much you can do about the broken body part. 

I don't know that you can wait for a perfect set of young players. But Bo, Petey, Brock, Hughes, Demko is a nice place to start, and if Podkolzin makes it yeah thats enough for home grown talent imo mixed in with the UFAs and trades. If Juolevi, Woo and Rathbone make it thats a hell of a back end, then and Nik. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Miller isn't Loui,

Yah Millers best year is 22 goals and Loui E best year was 30 goals.......

In fact last year  Loui 11 goals were pretty similar to Milers 13 goals.....

Virt by the way had 15 goals..  Did we really need to give a FIRST round pick for a 13 goal a year guy....

I hope for JB's sake we do not have another Loui E on our hands....

• Wat 3

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Virt by the way had 15 goals..  Did we really need to give a FIRST round pick for a 13 goal a year guy....

You do realize that offense isn't just about goals right?

Why do I even bother .... you'll just make some excuse of how the Canucks' haven't made the playoffs for four years, yet discredit that there has been improvement over those last 4 years.  Say that a rebuilding team shouldn't be giving up first rounders, when in fact, they haven't yet.  Will they be giving up one? Yes one will be in the next 2 years, but if the Canucks' make the playoffs, the "REBUILDING" phase of the team would be considered over.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

you're totally ignoring Millers play on the boards and physical play, none of which Loui ever had. We're talking about a fit with Petey here. Loui was an excellent fit with the C's he had in Dallas and Boston, he doesn't have that here with Petey, EP needs a physical winger. Millers got 35 lbs on Eriksson. 

Jakes great, again not the right fit on Petey's line. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, CaptKirk888 said:

How long do we wait for a complete rebuild? 6 years? 8 years? I have been a fan of this team since the early 70s and not once have I seen management rely solely on drafting to build a winning team. It all works together, drafting, trades, UFA signings. New blood and experienced players looking for a new start bring excitement and hope. 

Well if the club would have started the rebuild after 2011 / 2012 instead of propping up core well past their best before date . .. we would be alot closer .. thats for sure.