The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Islanders sign Derick Brassard

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Oilers could have used Brassard at 3C.

He'll have a good year on long Island.  Good signing by Lou Lamo

Well they can grab Sutter from us as long as they take uncle Loui in the deal

How bout Sutter + Eriksson for Poolparty + a conditional first rounder :bigblush:

Whoa there man, heard you were going to sign in Edmonton, are you okay?  Here's 1.2 million reasons to not do that, and possibly enjoy the playoffs while not freezing your ass off and being thrown under the bus when the team under performs again!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll give McDavid 2 more years in Edmonton before he wants out.  Don't see him playing in Edmonton past the expansion draft...

I honestly have no idea what Holland’s plan is, has he talked about it?

So far they’ve done very little this offseason. If their plan is to keep building through the draft it’s gonna be at least 4 years till they see results without guarantees. Is McDavid really that patient?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I honestly have no idea what Holland’s plan is, has he talked about it?

So far they’ve done very little this offseason. If their plan is to keep building through the draft it’s gonna be at least 4 years till they see results without guarantees. Is McDavid really that patient?

I think Holland is going to do in Edmonton what he did in Detroit, which is to build through the draft.  And yes it will be 4 years at least until they see results.  That's why I think a McDavid trade will happen within the next 2 years.  It will speed up the rebuild.  McDavid will not tolerate another 4 years of losing in a crappy city.  With Gretzky it was different because within 2 years of moving to the NHL they already had a contender and made the final in the 4th year.  With McDavid they will be lucky to even make the playoffs in the next 4 years.

They will be able to get a major haul for McDavid, possibly enough to rebuild the team the proper way.  Not sure if Holland will be successful though as it's impossible to attract free agents to Edmonton even with McDavid on the team.  My bet is they will be a bottom feeder for many years to come and most likely they will not get anywhere near what they want to get in a McDavid trade.  The problem they are gonna have is only a few teams will be able to fit him under the cap and those teams may not have the assets the Oilers need to get back in order to properly rebuild their team.  

Edmonton got lucky in the draft to get McDavid.  Unfortunately for them he will end up turning into more of a liability for them than an asset.  If their previous first overall picks had panned out and they kept Taylor Hall who could have played with McDavid things might have worked out differently for them.  But their luck ran out years ago.  They got lucky with Gretzky and the gang and won 5 cups.  I don't think they will ever get that lucky again in our lifetime.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think Holland is going to do in Edmonton what he did in Detroit, which is to build through the draft.  And yes it will be 4 years at least until they see results.  That's why I think a McDavid trade will happen within the next 2 years.  It will speed up the rebuild.  McDavid will not tolerate another 4 years of losing in a crappy city.  With Gretzky it was different because within 2 years of moving to the NHL they already had a contender and made the final in the 4th year.  With McDavid they will be lucky to even make the playoffs in the next 4 years.

They will be able to get a major haul for McDavid, possibly enough to rebuild the team the proper way.  Not sure if Holland will be successful though as it's impossible to attract free agents to Edmonton even with McDavid on the team.  My bet is they will be a bottom feeder for many years to come and most likely they will not get anywhere near what they want to get in a McDavid trade.  The problem they are gonna have is only a few teams will be able to fit him under the cap and those teams may not have the assets the Oilers need to get back in order to properly rebuild their team.  

Edmonton got lucky in the draft to get McDavid.  Unfortunately for them he will end up turning into more of a liability for them than an asset.  If their previous first overall picks had panned out and they kept Taylor Hall who could have played with McDavid things might have worked out differently for them.  But their luck ran out years ago.  They got lucky with Gretzky and the gang and won 5 cups.  I don't think they will ever get that lucky again in our lifetime.

If the cap continues to stagnate I see McDavid’s value not as high.  12.5 million is a lot of the cap.  And giving up assets (top young guys and picks) is going to gut any team.  I really see trading Connor to a competitive team as nearly impossible.  Maybe to the Avs for Mackinnon and a first?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

If the cap continues to stagnate I see McDavid’s value not as high.  12.5 million is a lot of the cap.  And giving up assets (top young guys and picks) is going to gut any team.  I really see trading Connor to a competitive team as nearly impossible.  Maybe to the Avs for Mackinnon and a first?  

Yeah I think the teams that would be able to trade for him will be less than 5 really.  What competitive team can fit $12.5 million under the cap without gutting it completely?  It will have to be a team on the rise with ELC contracts, I don't see McDavid approving a trade to another crappy team. 

Colorado would be a good fit actually.  Not sure if they want to rock the boat with what they have going on there now, but they could have the cap space in 2 years.  MacKinnon will have a modified NTC starting next year so I doubt Edmonton will be on his list.  Also he's on a great contract for the next 4 years so I don't think Colorado would entertain trading him really.  I could see a one two punch of McDavid and MacKinnon leading the Avalanche similar to Sakic and Forsberg.  Colorado may be one of the few teams in 2 years to have the assets and the cap space to do a deal for McDavid.  And McDavid would not refuse to go there I don't think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah I think the teams that would be able to trade for him will be less than 5 really.  What competitive team can fit $12.5 million under the cap without gutting it completely?  It will have to be a team on the rise with ELC contracts, I don't see McDavid approving a trade to another crappy team. 

Colorado would be a good fit actually.  Not sure if they want to rock the boat with what they have going on there now, but they could have the cap space in 2 years.  MacKinnon will have a modified NTC starting next year so I doubt Edmonton will be on his list.  Also he's on a great contract for the next 4 years so I don't think Colorado would entertain trading him really.  I could see a one two punch of McDavid and MacKinnon leading the Avalanche similar to Sakic and Forsberg.  Colorado may be one of the few teams in 2 years to have the assets and the cap space to do a deal for McDavid.  And McDavid would not refuse to go there I don't think.

Agreed.  Avs have young assets and picks.  They could make a very nice offer for Connor, and keep Mac too.  

• Upvote 1