The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tweaking Roster - Goldobin or Leivo Out?

Unless Goldy has trained his butt off and will in the best shape of his career with a " its make it or i'm done attitude" I just don't seeing him sticking.

He has the skills but must find that deep down drive to prove himself and he hasn't shown it.

Outside of that, Leivo was fantastic for us as a bottom 6 guy that can sub in well for injuries and was impressive on the PP 

Leivo = better chance to win with.

PS: would always prefer him anyway to show those guys in the center of the universe (TO) that they made the bad trade :bigblush:

• Upvote 2

Let's make a deal...

Need a 2 for 1, or 3 for 2(NHL'ers) to trim it down somewhat.

Van: Loui the lump, Tim(bit) Schaller

OTT: Bobby Ryan(retain 750k x 3), Chlapik(another ELC C for Comets)

Melnyk saves about 4 or 5 mill, in straight bucks. Adds another vet, to keep more youth in AHL.

• Wat 1

35 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Unless Goldy has trained his butt off and will in the best shape of his career with a " its make it or i'm done attitude" I just don't seeing him sticking.

He has the skills but must find that deep down drive to prove himself and he hasn't shown it.

Outside of that, Leivo was fantastic for us as a bottom 6 guy that can sub in well for injuries and was impressive on the PP 

PS: would always prefer him anyway to show those guys in the center of the universe (TO) that they made the bad trade :bigblush:

Leivo was so far down the their depth chart that he wouldn’t have had a chance in their system - they did him a favour by trading him to a team like ours nothing more, nothing less - I’m sure their fans are happy to see him get his chance (but are much happier to play Kapanen and Johnsson, the latter who’d is going to be a great player IMO, better then Nylander - he’s shades of St Louis 2.0).   

Leivo is definitely our 13th forward - but he’s behind LE.   Goldobin is riding the bus or getting traded or getting picked up or waivers.    No way he beats out Bear, or Pearson, or Ferland or Miller...and he’s of no use to us in the bottom six unless we create three scoring lines which is only possible if we move Sutter to the fourth line.   People are delusional if the think guys like Motte, Goldobin, Leivo are ahead of LE as far as right now talent - and it’s not like he’s going to die at 34 or anything either - people are whacked out.    He’s half the player he was id agree on that but half of LEs prime is still better then fringe career NHLers.

I bet he comes to camp and schools these guys - I also think if he was actually given some decent guys to play with he’d make that line better - why? Because he’s done it already - doesn’t matter where LE is put he helps that line out.   Pearson - Horvat - LE was a good line in the stretch.  He was barely played with EP and that’s OK.   Like I said earlier he’s a bit of a Swiss Army knife for them.

41 minutes ago, nuck-lifer said:

Production suggests otherwise though. 

Leivo played top-6 most of the season with the team's best players (mostly Pettersson/Boeser and at times Horvat) and was also on PP1.  His production was quite poor for the opportunities he got.  

P60 is a measure of scoring efficiency.  His time in Vancouver ranks him close to 300th among Fs with at least 40 games - i.e. outside of the top-9.  Virtanen had similar production rate as Leivo and sligtly better P60, but was not on PP1 and was playing mostly in the bottom-6 in a defensive role vs an offensive role with the team's top players for Leivo.  

Will Leivo be able to even have that kind of production with less ice time and lesser linemates next season - he isn't expected to play with Pettersson/Boeser or on PP1.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Production suggests otherwise though. 

Leivo played top-6 most of the season with the team's best players (mostly Pettersson/Boeser and at times Horvat) and was also on PP1.  His production was quite poor for the opportunities he got.  

P60 is a measure of scoring efficiency.  His time in Vancouver ranks him close to 300th among Fs with at least 40 games - i.e. outside of the top-9.  Virtanen had similar production rate as Leivo and sligtly better P60, but was not on PP1 and was playing mostly in the bottom-6 in a defensive role vs an offensive role with the team's top players for Leivo.  

Will Leivo be able to even have that kind of production with less ice time and lesser linemates next season - he isn't expected to play with Pettersson/Boeser or on PP1.  

I believe his production wont be hindered too much with the upgrade in our depth. He did score 10 times in 49 games and was a plus player on a minus team which is better than most.. 

outside of the stats, when we look at his heavier and more determined game than Goldy's I believe he will be more of Greens type of guy that will give them a better chance to win.

as far as where he sits in the depth chart, he would be in that 12-13th forward category, getting by Goldy, Schaller, and Motte. 

Like Motte did last year by proving the critics wrong , Leivo may be that player with his additional offensive upside.

bottom 6 

Ferland - Sutter- Eriksson

Leivo - Beagle - Jake

These 4 wingers can move up and down the line up quite well when injuries take place.

In the end it's nice to have this depth problem finally....

scratch- Goldy- Motte

Eriksson 100% deserves the Redden treatment after the garbage he spewed to the media and his unacceptable effort last year.  There is absolutely no reason to keep that worthless piece of garbage with the big club over one of these 2 guys who has a hope of developing into an actual NHLer.  Both Goldy and Leivo deserve a shot over that lazy floater, even when you don't take into account the severe attitude issues.

Let Eriksson rot in a league more appropriate for a "man" of his work ethic.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

It’s a possibility.   But I disagree that Loui is a dried up prune.   He’s definitely been called out by his statements.   If he’s a proud vet which I’m sure he is, he will go down swinging and won’t let Leivo or Goldobin or anyone take his spot because he is the better player.  Playing 14-15 mins mostly on the 3-4th line and the P.K. and scoring 30 points has value - can’t wait to see how Ferland or Miler or even Bear does on EP and Boesers line.   Loui is a Swiss Army knife  albeit a very expensive one, that we can’t trade without a bounce back effort - why not at least give him the chance?  Especially considering the others he’s competing for a spot with at this point look to be career AHLers.  TG relied heavily on LE to keep things going last year with our injuries and he did that.  He produced at a decent rate when he was given the opportunity - and when he started most of his shifts in the D-zone he got it out or helped get it out for the next shift.   Goldobin fell off a cliff once EP dried up and offered little.  Leivo is a small upgrade on Megna.   At least he’s more physical- but then Goldobin is soft margarine even compared to LE.  Yes he doesn’t hit but he does his board work well and gets pucks back often.  

I’m not being the devils advocate - I don’t like the LE deal either but I also don’t think he deserves all the hate.  That’s on recently re-signed JB if anything, if he was getting 3 or even what Sutters getting paid nobody would be complaining and this would even be a topic.  And at least he doesn’t miss games.   Despite the elbows and stickwork to the body which every player endures.   How many games has Sutter missed?  

We have the guy for three more years - might as well embrace it and give him a role that he can play to help the team.   One million means nothing with the cap the way it is and the savings to put him down doesn’t make sense either.  At least that’s how I see it.  Until his play regresses to the point he really is the 13th forward anyways.  

I do see your points but the bottom line is in order to keep Loui on the roster we have to waive either Leivo, Motte, Baertschi or Goldobin.  That's simply not gonna happen.  The only way Loui stays on the roster is if Goldobin is traded or there is an injury.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I do see your points but the bottom line is in order to keep Loui on the roster we have to waive either Leivo, Motte, Baertschi or Goldobin.  That's simply not gonna happen.  The only way Loui stays on the roster is if Goldobin is traded or there is an injury.

And even with injury or trade there are guys like Big Mac in Utica who are better suited than Loui to play the bottom line role.  Plus, Rousel will come back too.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yep.  How do you tell any of these guys that, despite their best efforts, they have to go down to make room for a lazy malcontent who whines about the coach holding him accountable for being lazy, soft, and completely useless.  You want our kids to think the way Eriksson plays and conducts himself off the ice is acceptable?  Want more guys whining that Green isn't gifting them more unearned ice time at the expense of their teammates who ARE putting in an honest effort?  Allowing Eriksson to further disgrace the Canucks jersey sets a horrible precedent for accountability.  There is literally zero reason to allow this pitiful excuse for a hockey player to ever play another shift for us.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Just now, King Heffy said:

Yep.  How do you tell any of these guys that, despite their best efforts, they have to go down to make room for a lazy malcontent who whines about the coach holding him accountable for being lazy, soft, and completely useless.  You want our kids to think the way Eriksson plays and conducts himself off the ice is acceptable?  Want more guys whining that Green isn't gifting them more unearned ice time at the expense of their teammates who ARE putting in an honest effort?  Allowing Eriksson to further disgrace the Canucks jersey sets a horrible precedent for accountability.  There is literally zero reason to allow this pitiful excuse for a hockey player to ever play another shift for us.

And players want to friggin’ win.  They know who deserves to be on the team and who doesn’t.  It’s bad for a team to play guys just because of their contract.  The other players, like you say, see this and must get really pissed.  Look how competitive Petey is.  No way he wants Loui on the team, when Motte, Leivo, and Goldy are helping the team more.  

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Are you saying that benning tried moving L.E. all summer and not 1 out of 30 other teams wants him? Then you say he is too good for AHL?:blink:

You need to re read my post . I said i didnt agree with Ibatch that Goldobin is not too good to play in the AHL.

I said Benning said he was talking to Loui Eriksson all summer and they were trying to get a deal. there were no suitors for Loui thus he may end up in the AHL on Utica.you are confused for sure but i dont think I did it you just didnt read the post clearly

8 hours ago, bree2 said:

the problem is …….. Goldy and Boeser are not signed yet and neither will be at camp  if they are not signed. time is ticking down!!!!

This is nnot a problem. Theres a lot of RFAs that have not signed yet. Brock is the one with the least negotiating room, He may be the first domino to fall as he already has comparable contracts with Meier being the most likely comparable.I think it will get done in time for him to start camp it just wont be done today.

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

This is nnot a problem. Theres a lot of RFAs that have not signed yet. Brock is the one with the least negotiating room, He may be the first domino to fall as he already has comparable contracts with Meier being the most likely comparable.I think it will get done in time for him to start camp it just wont be done today.

Problem is we don't want to be using Meier as a comparable due to the backloading.  That's a horrible contract.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

It would set a horrible precedent to have Loui stay on the roster just because of his contract.  He should and will get the Wade Redden treatment.  We don't need a guy who had 3 hits last year playing on the 4th line.  I'd rather bring up MacEwen to play that role so he can bang and crash and make room for the smaller guys.  Even Leivo on the 4th line would be better than Loui.

The only place that Loui fits in is Utica.  And even in Utica he may not make it in the top 6...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 4

Suppose Loui, Goldy, Jake, Sutter, Gaudette, Leivo and Motte all come into the season playing like they have a job to lose - top form, one level up from last year.

Then what?

I know...nice problem to have, right.

But if that should happen, dare I say it? Do we have depth?

10 hours ago, brownky said:

Ice the best roster from the players who show best at training camp.

If Goldobin beats people to a spot on the team, he should get the spot. If Eriksson does, he should get the spot, etc etc.

It's a nice place to be when we have players who are finally good enough to bump others from the roster, rather than ice the AHL-and-Friends lineup of a few years ago.

This!

And JB has said as much as well! Said so last year. And the year before. And the year Jake was sent back to Utica. Only in McCann & Virtanen's first year did they seem to reserve spots.  That was 6 years ago...

We are a way more rounded team which now allows us to give Goldobin one solid oppurtunity to play to his strengths and talents. Soft finesse type players have been in the league forever ( fun to watch too ) but only if they produce offensively, it's time for him to produce or move on!

Leivo, Motte and MacEwen are NHL ready in my mind for bottom six duties and the occassional relief work with the top six, Mac has become a personal fave of mine, I like his game and his free agent underdog story.

Coach Green has to get it right from out of the gate even if it includes Eriksson!