The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

He's a professional hockey player in a contract year. The team brought in two players who can play the same way he can and he still comes in out of shape?  Come on man....

Last summer he seemed to make a big commitment to conditioning and skill training. Maybe thats why he had a decent start.

I know he is young but some guys have the drive to constantly improve and be better players. Jake doesn't have that yet and he may never have it....

If it is a contract year, why worry. If the goal was simply fat or do not be fat and he failed then next year his contract will be cheap which means more money on the table for Petty etc...

See Jake is just being a team player.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

If the between the lines message is he showed up to camp out of shape, then I honestly dont know what to do with this kid. I've been so disappointed over the years. Yes, there have been some positive moments, but way too many negatives. Way too inconsistent and coasting like he could give a s**t

Tired of the same people defending him, saying he will come around, PF's take longer to develop etc.  I wouldnt even give him the season. If by xmas break he hasn't put it together then take a 2nd rounder for him and move on. 

Jake, You've been put on notice

• Like 1

He's a professional hockey player in a contract year. The team brought in two players who can play the same way he can and he still comes in out of shape?  Come on man....

Last summer he seemed to make a big commitment to conditioning and skill training. Maybe thats why he had a decent start.

I know he is young but some guys have the drive to constantly improve and be better players. Jake doesn't have that yet and he may never have it....

there's a whole lot of speculation happening here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

there's a whole lot of speculation happening here.

He is with the 3rd group because he is not in good shape. Not sure what I am speculating?

Looking forward to another season of Jake taking 30 second shifts and being winded while his line mates stay out another 15 seconds.....

• Cheers 1

He is with the 3rd group because he is not in good shape. Not sure what I am speculating?

Looking forward to another season of Jake taking 30 second shifts and being winded while his line mates stay out another 15 seconds.....

where did anyone say that?  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

where did anyone say that?  

“We both agreed that there were goals that had to be met, and if he didn’t reach them, then he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp.” - Travis Green on Jake Virtanen #Canucks

2:21 PM · Sep 13, 2019 from Victoria, British Columbia·Twitter for iPhone

“We both agreed that there were goals that had to be met, and if he didn’t reach them, then he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp.” - Travis Green on Jake Virtanen #Canucks

2:21 PM · Sep 13, 2019 from Victoria, British Columbia·Twitter for iPhone

What were the goals?

Post page 2 also please.

• Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

Damn.... Huge Virtanen fan here but it isn't sounding good with this direct quote from Greener.  He has all the physical gifts in the world, perhaps his mental game and commitment just isn't there.

The kid wont learn. Seems like one of those guys that is happy to have just reached the NHL, and didnt really have goals past that. Doesn't seem to have that internal drive to be the best. He should have gotten the message by now . Very dissapointing.