The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2019 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Stelar said:

“We both agreed that there were goals that had to be met, and if he didn’t reach them, then he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp.” - Travis Green on Jake Virtanen #Canucks

2:21 PM · Sep 13, 2019 from Victoria, British Columbia·Twitter for iPhone

and can you point out, exactly, where it says anything about being out of shape?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

What were the goals?

Post page 2 also please.

You mean the part where he said "he is a big part of the team and nothing to read into"?  We don't have to read into anything. He told us he didn't meet his fitness goals so is skating with the plugs...

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

No way to know how far off Jake was from his goals over the summer so all we can do is wait and see how he otherwise performs at camp and pre-season.  If Jake is noticeably and continually gassed at the end of shifts like he was in previous seasons (but improved on last season), then there may be some cause for concern.  The improvement in that side of Jake's conditioning seemed to help him take positive steps forward last season.

Jake seems to be a guy who may always struggle a bit with some physical conditioning so I would be more curious about how far off he might be from where he needs to be and whether he can get there by the end of camp or early in the season.  I get concerns that Jake might not be preparing enough in pre-season but, I don't know, I just don't get the sense that Jake is not putting in work.  If Jake is in fact off on some targets, then it could be that he still hasn't found a good system to help him maintain his conditioning and that's something both Jake, the training staff and any personal consultants Jake may have will need to work on for his long term success.

Again though, without any information about what the issues may be, I'm just interested to see how he does over the rest of training camp and into pre-season.

we don't even know they were conditioning goals that weren't met.  Someone made a great point that it could be because he missed the media shindig yesterday.  Anyway, doesn't seem like TG thinks its anything big, it's just how he treats Jake.

23 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Do the Canucks not follow up with these guys over the summer? I'd have monthly check ins.

Shouldn't be a surprise.

Should a professional athlete need to be "checked up on"?  Do we really want guys who, "need to be checked up on" on our team?  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Stelar said:

You mean the part where he said "he is a big part of the team and nothing to read into"?  We don't have to read into anything. He told us he didn't meet his fitness goals so is skating with the plugs...

where does it say that?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

he'll be fine, that's just how TG handles Jake, he has always used tough love with him, right from Utica.  TG knows how to get through to Jake.  Nothing to see here, imo.

He straight up said that if JV is in the third group it means he is not happy with his off season work... how is that nothing?

• Cheers 1

Just now, 'NucK™ said:

He straight up said that if JV is in the third group it means he is not happy with his off season work... how is that nothing?

he "straight up said" if goals weren't met........where does he say they were conditioning goals?

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

and can you point out, exactly, where it says anything about being out of shape?

For a coach to say anything regarding his "fitness goals not being met" is not good. Obviously compared to the average Joe he is probably in decent shape. Just not NHL player shape like he needs to be. Not sure a coach would embarrass a third year NHL player by making him skate with the extras if he just missed his "goals".  

3 minutes ago, Stelar said:

“We both agreed that there were goals that had to be met, and if he didn’t reach them, then he probably wouldn’t be with the first two groups on the first day of camp.” - Travis Green on Jake Virtanen #Canucks

Where does it say fitness? I have been in MX for awhile maybe I missed it

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

For a coach to say anything regarding his "fitness goals not being met" is not good. Obviously compared to the average Joe he is probably in decent shape. Just not NHL player shape like he needs to be. Not sure a coach would embarrass a third year NHL player by making him skate with the extras if he just missed his "goals".  

when you use quotation marks, that implies it is a direct quote from the source.........is that exactly what TG said?

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Don't waste your time. He thinks that unless the coach comes out and specifically says "he's out of shape" then he isn't buying it.....

Maybe skating with the extras is a reward.... What do I know... He is on the first line in group three...

Edited by Stelar

@Knucklehd After reading all the posts regarding Virtanen, obvious the real question would be, how does he look on the ice?... Really hope not...

But would be great with some actual facts (or as close to as possible) instead of more speculation...

Think there is enough players being labeled without actual facts....

2 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Still not good, he was the only regular who got demoted to the third group. 

Maybe Green knows Virt responds to tough love. Maybe he held him to loft goals that were made to push him such as getting a quicker first step or... There are a huge amount of other goals out there.

Remember there was a video posted a few days ago with him fishing. None of you commented on him being fat. 

Why is it starting now? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3