The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Blue Jackets re-sign Zach Werenski

53 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this structure seems to be the new normal for the high end RFAs. Not sure Jim has much of a choice, but if it keeps the AAV down a bit thats something at least. 

there's going to be some big trades near the end of all these contracts. 

Per LeBrun term is the biggest hurdle with those top RFAs as they are looking to reach free agency to be in best position to negotiate their next contract.      

Going 1 year to free agency with a backloaded deal could be more of a compromise to still give the team 1 year of control.  

21 minutes ago, mll said:

Per LeBrun term is the biggest hurdle with those top RFAs as they are looking to reach free agency to be in best position to negotiate their next contract.      

Going 1 year to free agency with a backloaded deal could be more of a compromise to still give the team 1 year of control.  

I like that idea. For me I'd like to see a 7 year deal with Brock but it doesn't sound like thats in the cards. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't agree to the backloading under any circumstances.  The player can holds out until they're willing to sign something reasonable.

its hard when other GMs set the table. The genie is out. I don't know that theres any GM with the desire to pull a Nylander other than Dubas. Things can go downhill fast with a prolonged hold out. 

• Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, mll said:

The number would have to be pretty low to have the team sign a 4 year deal, especially a back loaded one.

It gives all the leverage to Boeser’s camp.  He will be arbitration eligible and  just take a one year arb award to take him to free agency.  There is zero motivation for him to sign a long term deal with us after four years for anything less than full UFA value.

2 hours ago, Provost said:

With a backloaded 3 year deal for Boeser it should be in the same range.  $5-5.5 million, with a $7-8 million final season for a qualifying offer.

At this point, I think a 3 year term is the longest we are probably going to see.  It lets us get free from some veteran contracts and have more money down the road, and it lets Boeser bet on himself and establish his value.  We will have signed Petterson and Hughes at that point and "hopefully" be a team that is winning rounds in the playoffs, so they may take reasonable deals to stay in a good situation.

I still would like to see a 6+ year term at $7-$7.5 million, but this close to the season that is becoming less likely.

Brock needs a 4 year deal to take him to one year left to free agency so I see a 4 year deal for him in the cards.  If Jim can do it below $7 million that would be ideal with a backload of no more than $8 million.  

2 hours ago, Provost said:

With a backloaded 3 year deal for Boeser it should be in the same range.  $5-5.5 million, with a $7-8 million final season for a qualifying offer.

At this point, I think a 3 year term is the longest we are probably going to see.  It lets us get free from some veteran contracts and have more money down the road, and it lets Boeser bet on himself and establish his value.  We will have signed Petterson and Hughes at that point and "hopefully" be a team that is winning rounds in the playoffs, so they may take reasonable deals to stay in a good situation.

I still would like to see a 6+ year term at $7-$7.5 million, but this close to the season that is becoming less likely.

I think Werenski is 4 years to UFA whereas Boeser is 5 years to UFA. That's why Werenski took a 3 year deal to get to that single last year of RFA status. We could still see Brock get  a 4 year deal in a similar circumstance. I'd like to see a 4 year 6.5 million dollar deal that goes up to max 8 million on the final season (essentially 34 million dollars including that final season). Nothing crazy like Meier's 10 million. I'm perfectly fine with 4 years 7 million, but not back loaded so 35 million for 5 years essentially. He would take a million less to backload the deal, but he would gain more negotiating leverage on his next contract.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its hard when other GMs set the table. The genie is out. I don't know that theres any GM with the desire to pull a Nylander other than Dubas. Things can go downhill fast with a prolonged hold out. 

Gonna be UFA's/vets signing for a song. Only 31 buckets & it seems 20+ are 80-90% filled. Something's rotten in Denmark, or I've maxed my metaphors!

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd support Benning if it came down to a holdout.  There has to be a number any player would accept without agreeing to such an idiotic contract structure.  The mistake Dumbass made was signing his floater instead of letting him sit out the whole year.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd support Benning if it came down to a holdout.  There has to be a number any player would accept without agreeing to such an idiotic contract structure.  The mistake Dumbass made was signing his floater instead of letting him sit out the whole year.

He should have traded him before.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

If we're doing a back load, 4 year, 1 year left RFA deal similar to the others, that number needs to come down from $7m. Neither Meier nor this similar Werenski deal are still at the $7m range for very comparable players in situations like that.

If Brock (his agent) want $7m+, they're looking at a 7-8 year deal IMO. Closer to Keller's. 

Personally I'm glad Jim's not evidently budging on that. I'll leave the panicking for all the chicken little's around here :lol:

Maybe structure it like 4m, 5m, 6m, 9m for a four year contract. AAV is 6 million per year with a 9m QO in the final year. Accepting the QO takes him straight to Free agency. With the cap likely going up and lots of money coming off the books, Canucks can likely afford a long term contract for him then. 

Seems pretty fair based on what werenski signed, imo. Only downside is then he expires the same year as bo, Miller, and ferland. I don’t know if Jim wants two thirds of his top 6 expiring all at the same time

45 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He should have traded him before.

you're both right.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

If we're doing a back load, 4 year, 1 year left RFA deal similar to the others, that number needs to come down from $7m. Neither Meier nor this similar Werenski deal are still at the $7m range for very comparable players in situations like that.

If Brock (his agent) want $7m+, they're looking at a 7-8 year deal IMO. Closer to Keller's. 

Personally I'm glad Jim's not evidently budging on that. I'll leave the panicking for all the chicken little's around here :lol:

Yes I agree, that's why I said  below $7 million...  ^_^

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Borvat said:

Man the landscape has changed. Tail wagging the dog.  There won't be money left for the UFA's soon.  I wonder how the NHLPA is going to deal with this there could be some internal union strife with this flip in contracts. 

And there will be.  Because GMs will keep handing out massive deals to star UFAs...the rest will get one year take it or leave it deals - it’s already starting.   Average joes will get less money and have shorter careers.  And the funny thing about this is they have 80% of the union members...I could see the players themselves striking to remove the cap at some point if this doesn’t sort itself out.  It’s taken some time to get here but the GMs have done it again (salary escalation within their own cap system).    

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

And there will be.  Because GMs will keep handing out massive deals to star UFAs...the rest will get one year take it or leave it deals - it’s already starting.   Average joes will get less money and have shorter careers.  And the funny thing about this is they have 80% of the union members...I could see the players themselves striking to remove the cap at some point if this doesn’t sort itself out.  It’s taken some time to get here but the GMs have done it again (salary escalation within their own cap system).    

Although as we have seen this off season -  and this may just be the beginning - some of the expected big UFA contracts have been less dollars than expected. 

I think these recent RFA's have set a trend by taking more and more of the pie which may cause the larger membership to try and reset the pay scale. 

As you mentioned the larger percentage are not RFA's and it is a union. The current CBA is up Sept. 2022 and a lot of players have recently been negotiating a bonus structure to their contracts (paid whether there is a season or not) which may indicate the players and agents are planning for a potential work stoppage.  If the salary cap doesn't increase (fairly substantially) I think they may be right.

• Cheers 1

Dubas messed things up with Nylander. Should have let him sit the year. Then even worse with Mathews contract. Paid full value and signed 5 yrs taking him right to UFA. Now everyone wants similar structure. 

If I'm JB I let Boeser sit. EP and Hughes coming up. If JB looses with Boeser he'll be in big trouble with other upcoming contracts.

• Upvote 1