The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Faulk Wants Extension in place to Approve Trade to Anaheim

Warhippy

https://www.tsn.ca/report-hurricanes-justin-faulk-wants-extension-to-approve-trade-to-anaheim-ducks-1.1363253

While the Anaheim Ducks are discussing a trade for Carolina Hurricanes defenceman Justin Faulk, a deal is contingent on the 27-year-old receiving a contract extension, Elliott Teaford of the Orange County Register reports.

According to Teaford, the Ducks are not on Faulk's 15-team approved trade list and the eight-year veteran wants an extension in place before waiving his no-trade clause to join Anaheim.

Faulk skated with Hurricanes teammates on Tuesday, but declined to comment on trade speculation, according to Chip Alexander of The News and Observer.

Justin Faulk not commenting on the Anaheim trade report/speculation.

Faulk, who scored 11 goals and posted 35 points in 82 games last season, is entering the final year of his current contract and carries a $4.83 million cap hit for this season. He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent next July.

Teaford notes Faulk would fill a need for the Ducks, who currently have just one right-handed shot on their blueline in Josh Manson

Luke DeCock of The News and Observer reported Thursday that the Hurricanes have had "longstanding interest" in Ducks winger Ondrej Kase and added he would be surprised if 23-year-old isn't involved in a deal between the two sides.

Believe the Hurricanes have a deal in place with Anaheim for Faulk. Anaheim is not listed among his 15 preapproved teams, so it’s in Faulk’s hands now. Hurricanes have had a longstanding interest in Ondrej Kase, would be surprised if he isn’t involved.

Kase, a seventh-round pick in 2014, was limited to 30 games due to a shoulder injury last season, posting 11 goals and 20 points. He had 20 goals and 38 points in 66 games during the 2017-18 season.

Faulk's name began to emerge in the rumour mill last week after the Hurricanes signed defenceman Jake Gardiner to a four-year, $16.2 million contract.

Memo to @frank_seravalli: Too early to fire up a @TSNHockey Trade Bait board? If so, Justin Faulk (CAR) and Rasmus Ristolainen (BUF) would be two notable names at the top. Pitter patter, Frankie...

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

This seems anti-rebuild... but when Del Zotto is your #4D maybe its more out of desperation. 

I'm just wondering what on earth Anaheim has to give up.  Faulk is absolutely no slouch and a solid top 4 D man on a sign and trade is worth a solid return.  There has to be 2-5 other teams out there willing to dump goodies at the Canes for that

we're talking a 220 pound RHD that was still defensively sound on some absolutely awful Canes teams that put up 49 points one season but averages 36.2 points per season over his career.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Warhippy said:

I'm just wondering what on earth Anaheim has to give up.  Faulk is absolutely no slouch and a solid top 4 D man on a sign and trade is worth a solid return.  There has to be 2-5 other teams out there willing to dump goodies at the Canes for that

we're talking a 220 pound RHD that was still defensively sound on some absolutely awful Canes teams that put up 49 points one season but averages 36.2 points per season over his career.

youth of some kind, but maybe ANA is thinking "re-tool" vs actual rebuild? dunno, its going to be expensive. Or should be. 

WPG should be all over this, but he's probably on Faulks no trade list as well and thats probably a firm no. 

Carolina has played this really well.

They managed to get Gardiner to sign with them when he had choices, and are now turning around a now surplus D for a decent asset.

They didn’t really need to do it, but managed to gain an asset without giving up any strength on their roster.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

Lol. More like Faulk wants extension and raise to play and share a locker room with douche bag Getzlaf. 

Hard to think of Getzlaf as a douchebag after he helped pull an injured player (an opponent by the way, if I recall it was Stepan) out of the way of a scrum. The real douchebag was Kesler that just stood there looking at him until he seen Getzlaf start to pull him to safety.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Carolina has played this really well.

They managed to get Gardiner to sign with them when he had choices, and are now turning around a now surplus D for a decent asset.

They didn’t really need to do it, but managed to gain an asset without giving up any strength on their roster.

Not sure how Gardiner who's a LD gives them more freedom to move Faulk. The fact they had Faulk, Hamilton, and Peace (and TVR) is what allows for a move like this which is already what they had in place before Gardiner.

Good on the Carolina GM for going after their target player whomever it may be and having the balls to approach Faulk with a deal despite a team that wasn't on his trade list.

If this deal does go through, I think Buffalo is going to be hanging on to Risto too long and something's gotta give there soon. Not just the fact that he wants out, but the fact that they have him, Montour, Miller and Bogosian all on the right side.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Anything less than a 1st round pick and CDC will go nuts again about the Miller trade.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Hard to think of Getzlaf as a douchebag after he helped pull an injured player (an opponent by the way, if I recall it was Stepan) out of the way of a scrum. The real douchebag was Kesler that just stood there looking at him until he seen Getzlaf start to pull him to safety.

Nah, I live in Ktown. Getz is a douche. Will leave it at that. 

39 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I can see a three way deal between Carolina, Anaheim and Edmonton involving Faulk, Zacha, Kase, and Puljujarvi.

Maybe just maybe. 

Well Faulk wants an extension in Anahiem, so I doubt he's looking to sign a deal only to moved to Edmonton of all places.