The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Kings - Sep 21st 2019 - 6PM from Salt Lake City Utah

Rate this topic

xereau

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would do that in a heartbeat....although I doubt Buffalo does. That would instantly upgrade our top 6 D and our forward group would still have depth. Buffalo has said they need more scoring and Jake gives a little of that but not much. Might need to do Virtanen and Baer for Risto (add picks on our side probably). I would prefer to keep Baer but if we could get Risto in that type of deal I think we should do it.

Not really interested in giving up a bunch of stuff for risto then have to protect him in the ED at the expense of another good player. 

Does Gaudette need to be on the team come season opener.. No! Dudes gonna play 60-70 NHL games. Cause guess what injuries are going to happen and he’s gonna most likely stay once he’s back up. Sorry to say it, the dominos will fall. And another news flash when Roussel is ready someone else will be injured as well. Nothing to worry about folks 

Edited by Devron44
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, singing chef said:

Where is Jake's head right now ?  Doesn't he realize that, based on the last couple of games he played, other prospects are passing him by.  Jake does not have his spot on the team guaranteed.  He seems to be disinterested.  He could be a very valuable player IF he put his mind to it but............he doesn't seem to be trying.

Perhaps we try to flip him to Tampa Bay in return for our 1st. round pick coming back.............  (if he is worth that at this point in his career).

C'mon Jake - show some hustle.

But he had a two goal game! :frantic:

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Well if your standing by the principal that things are earned, and you want to ice the best team, theres a discussion to be had. Gaudette has pushed the envelope. 

I am saying the exact opposite. Spots on the Canucks are not necessarily going to be given out to the best players. We have seen this before many times. The GM will take into account other things such as waiver eligibility when deciding who will stay on the team. Gaud probably has earned a spot but it would make sense to waive him anyway to keep another player who would get claimed.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, ForestFalcon said:

Well, that's probably a good game for the helping the team make decisions on who stays up. At least we got to see a whole bunch of offense, kept things interesting. Makes me happy we have Markstrom and Demko for our NHL goaltending duo.

Also, wtf was the commentator going on about after Gaudette's first goal, saying he's from a "sketchy university". That's definitely what he said, I went back a couple times to make sure that was legit. Was a weird thing to hear, that's for sure.

They weird throughout in general. Spoke about anything else than the game most of it.... worst pile of verbal diarrhoea in a long time... 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rush17 said:

Goldie shouldn't need Pettersson to produce. Why would we give him a good paying NHL contract if he can only produce off the coattails of an elite world class player. 

He has to show he can produce with regular NHLers or he will only ever be a fringe NHLer.

Exactly.  Why not give that spot to a proven NHLer or a young guy that can score with nuts and bolts and puts in the effort every shift.   Or the next BPA to load the line up - or a guy that can fight and score like Ferland to keep players honest.   When EP was on a tear last year (with LE for a few games and then Goldobin) and PPG were around 1.3, Goldobins were almost 1...BUT by the end of the year slid to .4ish....after a LOT of missed chances - and he definitely wasn’t helping EP or Boeser once EP cooled off.   Any of our bubble players will get a lot of secondary assists playing on that line - and 7 goals isn’t exactly much to be excited about - pro-rate to ten over a full season.   At this point I’d rather see what AG could do on that line he’s earning it - if he can’t get traded then unless he picks ups his socks he will get waived. 

Although he might get waived just to keep a guy like Goldy from getting picked up on waivers for “nothing”.

• Upvote 1

...good thing we have Markstrom and Demko...unfortunately, Utica has McIntyre and Backman, but maybe DiPietro will be the knight in shiny armour for them.

Both goalies seemed to be playing back in the crease and LA were picking corners...both posts were open because the goaltenders played small..they needed to come out and challenge.

With all the new players, I wonder when they will put them all together and try to create some chemistry before the season starts. I know they've been playing Miller with Horvat, but they also need to create some understanding between the dmen and the forwards....seen enough, it's time to create chemistry.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I would do that in a heartbeat....although I doubt Buffalo does. That would instantly upgrade our top 6 D and our forward group would still have depth. Buffalo has said they need more scoring and Jake gives a little of that but not much. Might need to do Virtanen and Baer for Risto (add picks on our side probably). I would prefer to keep Baer but if we could get Risto in that type of deal I think we should do it.

Good thing you're not the GM...we don't need dmen who are weak defensively.Capture.PNG.ff9edc84ff1afa78f9930cf4c0e4060a.PNG

-66 the last two years and that's with getting 84 pts

Can't when games when the other team scores more goals when you're on the ice.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Good thing you're not the GM...we don't need dmen who are weak defensively.Capture.PNG.ff9edc84ff1afa78f9930cf4c0e4060a.PNG

+/- isn't a good indicator of anything. Buffalo has been a terrible team for years. Aside from their win streak last year they haven't been a very productive team.

Rasmus Dahlin was -18 last season as well and he's one of the best young defenders in the game. Put either of them in a different situation and that +/- stat would drastically change.

+/- is a team stat if anything and it hardly gives us a full picture. Hell Edler was -39 one year under torts. It's most likely situational.

Edited by Rush17
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

If all players remain healthy and no trades exist the bottom 6 should play out something like this

Eriksson, Sutter, Pearson, Beagle, with Leivo , JV , and Motte fighting for the 2 remaining spots

Eriksson, Pearson and Sutter have been the top 3 of this bunch IMO  , but all have had their good games so far

Gaudette gets sent down as a first call up because he should be in the lineup

Schaller waived and no one will pick him up

Goldy waived or traded (likely waived) with a 50% chance or so of getting claimed when he's included with everyone else on waiver day .  Unless he has a couple of stand out games his future is definitely in jeopardy.

- if we lose him c'est la vie as he could still be 2nd or 3rd as a call up if he doesn't get claimed 

As per usual we keep 2 extra D's in Fantenburg and Biega, 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Even Eichel was a -25 and -11 player the last two years.  Team dynamic and not just the players.  Risto puts us over the top if we get him.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

...good thing we have Markstrom and Demko...unfortunately, Utica has McIntyre and Backman, but maybe DiPietro will be the knight in shiny armour for them.

Both goalies seemed to be playing back in the crease and LA were picking corners...both posts were open because the goaltenders played small..they needed to come out and challenge.

Is Kielly going to be in the ECHL? Bachman and McIntyre were NOT impressive at all in pre season. Wonder if Dipietro will start in the ECHL, have to think with Kielly being a College G who is a bit older and use to better competition that he would make Utica and give Dipietro lower level competition in the ECHL.

Mikey has lots of work to do to become a pro G. he leaves the top of the net open, has great athleticism and lots of time to grow and develop in the lower pro ranks. 0 rush or need for him to be put in a situation he isn't ready for and get lit up and lose his confidence. See how he develops of the next 2-3 years

• Cheers 1

in my eyes  eriksson and schaller need to be waived 

ferland pettersson boeser 

baertchi horvat miller 

virtanen gaudette pearson
leivo beagle sutter

motte goldobin 

edler myers

hughes tanev

benn stecher 

brisebois 

marky

demko 

this team can start season if injuries happen the depth is there  as soon as Roussel is back another trade can happen  I see sutter and tanev being traded by. deadline or sooner

Edited by canuktravella

46 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Even Eichel was a -25 and -11 player the last two years.  Team dynamic and not just the players.  Risto puts us over the top if we get him.

It's nice this can even be said without laughing anymore. We actually could be a really good team with one more forward and D.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

in my eyes  eriksson and schaller need to be waived 

ferland pettersson boeser 

baertchi horvat miller 

virtanen gaudette pearson
leivo beagle sutter

motte goldobin 

edler myers

hughes tanev

benn stecher 

brisebois 

marky

demko 

this team can start season if injuries happen the depth is there  as soon as Roussel is back another trade can happen  I see sutter and tanner being traded by. deadline or sooner

Normally I would agree. But Eriksson has stepped up recently. He is waiver eligible in a sense tho because no one would claim him. Can't imagine waiving him after a decent pre season would bode well for his confidence tho.

If you look at his body of work tho over the past two years you could argue sending him down.

Edited by Rush17

7 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Normally I would agree. But Eriksson has stepped up recently. He is waiver eligible in a sense tho because no one would claim him. Can't imagine waiving him after a decent pre season would bode well for his confidence tho.

If you look at his body of work tho over the past two years you could argue sending him down.

Gotta say I rather have loui than jake