The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I just can’t believe the Canucks will be paying Eriksson 6M to play on a 4th line and the PK. :picard:

He's actually good at those roles. Give him credit, when he's not there, the PK is a hole. Eriksson absolutely IS a difference maker.

That being said, 6 M for a PK is insane. He is a mistake, but a mistake that actually has some value. It certainly wasn't what Benning had intended.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Upvote 2

Done a lot of reading here, about 22 pages. I'm burnt out on Sven and I do feel badly for him and his family.

But....

Congratulations Adam, you were our choice to make the roster. Management upheld their team first approach by rewarding you with your hard work and off the charts preseason. This was win - win in my books.

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It is not all about PPG 

It is about roles

Baertschi was competing with Rousell (who will play in that spot), and Leivo (who can play up or down for a lot less)

IMO, It makes sense, really

I wrote the same thing as you - that he would be the odd man out with how they want to construct their roster.  It's more whether it's the right strategy when teams are looking to create 3 scoring lines. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Clearly as we're not a rapidy improving team with a solid, character core and complimentary players, all hard workers,  in place...

Strawman. I am not talking about what we are currently. I am referring to the strategy outlined by Benning and Linden to "fill in the age gap". It was an unsuccessful strategy for the short term and an outright failure in the long run. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

So, does anyone think the Canucks can make the playoffs without a scoring third line? Our bottom 6 was the worst in the league last year and at this point we're looking at more of the same.

Although it's certainly not a lock, I think they can. Sutter missed most of the season, and was obviously playing through injury in the games he did play. A healthy Sutter, and the trickle-down effect of Miller and Ferland (bumping solid guys like Leivo down to the bottom-6) will help a lot.

But the biggest impact - by far - will be the defense. Having Hughes, Myers, and Benn out there instead of Hutton, Gudbranson, and Pouliot will make a MAJOR difference.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, kanucks25 said:

If 4 years ago they did think Bae was going to be in the long-term plans and it turns out they were wrong, so be it, it happens.

I just think he is one of those better options, currently.

We can just agree to disagree on that :P

Okay, that's totally fair. 

Man, it'd be so much easier if Eriksson just sucked at all aspects of being an NHL player now; rather than still being a good PKer where offense goes to die. 

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Sven is not a bottom six player simple as that.

Not like we need any players that can play in the top six.  Not like we get injuries, not like Sven isn't a good two way player, as good as Eriksson in that department.  I even bet that Sven wod be a decent penalty killer.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

And waiving Baertschi but keeping Eriksson on the roster despite his clear lack of effort / mailing it in / being a mindless zombie / going through the motions to collect the pay-cheque is conducive to a strong culture?

He's getting paid more than our soon-to-be captain.

Eriksson and Baer aren't particularly competing for spots. And barring further trades (or injuries), Eriksson's still a likely sacrificial lamb for Roussel's return. I don't even have him in our top 13 even with waiving Baer.

Ferland, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Miller

Gaudette, Sutter, Leivo

Motte, Beagle, Schaller

Virtanen

This also does right by Sven to try to keep him in the NHL (elsewhere).

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if Baer matched his career high of 35 pts, would that be the difference? maybe? But I can also see AG replacing most of Baers points so this may not be as dire as some think. We have to wait and see what the 3rd line becomes. 

More importantly, Miller (Or Ferland) is very, very likely going to replace those 35 points and then some. I suppose that's part of that as well.

1 minute ago, Phat Fingers said:

Not like we need any players that can play in the top six.  Not like we get injuries, not like Sven isn't a good two way player, as good as Eriksson in that department.  I even bet that Sven wod be a decent penalty killer.  

Honestly, the power play looks a lot better with Baertschi on it than without him.  He somehow finds a way to be open in the middle of the ice.

2 minutes ago, Screw said:

The panic in this thread is awesome.

I like SB  but he isn't grinding it out in the bottom 6.   Be glad the Canucks can now waive players that may have some value. Team is improving.

It’s about keeping Loui over Baer that’s the issue.  Our owner has to keep his nose out of hockey opps.  

4 minutes ago, Toews said:

Strawman. I am not talking about what we are currently. I am referring to the strategy outlined by Benning and Linden to "fill in the age gap". It was an unsuccessful strategy for the short term and an outright failure in the long run. 

Only because you still don't grasp what he was doing :lol:

Outright failure in the long run would have the team floundering and him being fired. Are you going to still going to keep complaining how it 'failed' if we win a cup in three years?:lol:

3 minutes ago, mll said:

I wrote the same thing as you - that he would be the odd man out with how they want to construct their roster.  It's more whether it's the right strategy when teams are looking to create 3 scoring lines. 

I think that teams like TB or even Toronto can have 3 offensive lines

But with our personell, we are more a 

2 offensive lines

1 hybrid line......IMO, Roussel, Gaudette, and Sutter, will be a pain in the arse to play against defensive, strong forecheck and can score

I am actually looking forward to seeing that

• Upvote 1