The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

16 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Gaudette probably first game. 

So glad they've committed to Horvat on the 2nd unit, it's 100% the right move. He's not a fit at all on the top unit.

Definitely need to put Hughes back on that top unit though, wtf.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s about keeping Loui over Baer that’s the issue.  Our owner has to keep his nose out of hockey opps.  

why would the owner get rid of baer over loui? They were not even after the same positions. Your arguments never make any sense alf. FYI you lost that bet, loui is not retiring.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Honestly, the power play looks a lot better with Baertschi on it than without him.  He somehow finds a way to be open in the middle of the ice.

They didn't have him on a unit when they started practicing the PP at training camp - he was just a placeholder.   As soon as that happened it was evident that he would be the odd man out.

Pearson's career high on the PP is 8pts with the 3rd most PP ice time among Fs in LA.  Leivo is 4pts.  Both had spots while Baertschi didn't.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It’s about keeping Loui over Baer that’s the issue.  Our owner has to keep his nose out of hockey opps.  

1. SB gets claimed and the canucks free themselves of a 3mill cap hit for a player on the bubble.

or

2.  SB clears waivers and remains an asset.  

How is either scenario bad for this team?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EP-40 said:

why would the owner get rid of baer over loui? They were not even after the same positions. Your arguments never make any sense alf. FYI you lost that bet, loui is not retiring.

The owner already paid, back in July, Loui 4 million for this year.  Our owner caved to Loui’s hand.  

1 minute ago, kanucks25 said:

So glad they've committed to Horvat on the 2nd unit, it's 100% the right move. He's not a fit at all on the top unit.

Definitely need to put Hughes back on that top unit though, wtf.

Horvat had 61 points last year, second most on the team and slightly less than Petey. While I agree with balancing the PP and having him work the second unit, you are dead wrong if you think he is not good enough to be on the first unit.

1 minute ago, brownky said:

More importantly, Miller (Or Ferland) is very, very likely going to replace those 35 points and then some. I suppose that's part of that as well.

Why can't we have all the points?

Personally my hopes were up for:

Ferland - Petey - Brock

Pearson - Horvat - Miller

Baertschi - Gaudette - Virtanen

Leivo/Ericsson - Beagle - Sutter

Motte

With a decision between baertschi/pearson/leivo once Rooster was healthy.  A 3rd scoring line is not only a good idea for scoring more goals, but also when your top 6 gets injured you don't have to fill in the gaps with 4th line defensive plugs.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Screw said:

1. SB gets claimed and the canucks free themselves of a 3mill cap hit for a player on the bubble.

or

2.  SB clears waivers and remains an asset.  

How is either scenario bad for this team?

Maybe JB knows from another GM that Baer will get claimed?  

2 minutes ago, Pears said:

That second unit is gonna dominate the cycle game

There are gonna be lots of 2-1 PK chances on there if Hughes jumps in like he has in the pre-season. Myers isn't particularly great defensively either, but he does have a good shot.

I'm curious to see what their setup is "for" - down low pressure or high shots from the points with two d-men.

Having a healthy Gaudette in the lineup is safer than having an injured Baertschi in the lineup.

Not a question of if, but a question of when.

Goldobin has had his chance. I fear the talent doesn’t match the over confidence.

Green has asked and did not receive.

Biega is Biega.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

one interesting thing IF Baer does get claimed, is it creates cap space to help buy out Loui next year. Or help sign Tyson Barrie. 

Agreed, I think Sven is just the odd man out. His injury history makes him a wild card and the Canucks desperately need some consistency this year.

He filled the gap admirably but got pushed out of his role by a younger draft pick...not as horrible a move as it is being made out to be. Also, the extra room would allow them to better push a trade for Loui (retain salary, etc.)

• Cheers 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Having a healthy Gaudette in the lineup is safer than having an injured Baertschi in the lineup.

Not a question of if, but a question of when.

Goldobin has had his chance. I fear the talent doesn’t match the over confidence.

Green has asked and did not receive.

Biega is Biega.

Agreed, Sven is a risk given his injury history and Canucks need consistency this year.

• Cheers 1