The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

1 minute ago, canuck2288 said:

Well Loui cost Sven his job with the Canucks 

I hope Loui stops to think about that next time he floats on a shift 

get your head out of your arse and start working for your pay like the rest of us Loui 

Pretty sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.... I thought Baertschi gained some chemistry with Gaudette. Might just be a situation where Baertschi is more valuable in a trade if he clears. We could see him in a trade tomorrow maybe?

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach with Baer on waivers. I hope someone picks him up but at the same time he'd be a boon to our guys in Utica and a depth piece we could call up when needed. 

I didn't think he'd be one of the guys going down though. It's a shame he's been unable to stay healthy as a Canuck the last few years, he's a talented player. 

He wasn't beaten out by Schaller though, they weren't competing for the same roster spot. Schaller is cheap fourth line and PK fodder, that was never going to be Baer's role. 

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

LE costs a lot more to bury.  No way FA lets 6m sits in the AHL. Schaller might actually be able to play bottom 6 while Sven sure can't. 

I just got home from a busy day and hadn't seen Benning's comments till just now. 

Sven actually gets paid more from the start to the end of the regular season than LE. LE got a 5m signing bonus in July so is only owed 1m for the entire hockey season. So we keep the dead weight 6m cap hit player because AquaMan has already paid 5m to him? That isn't proper management or the best way to ice a competitive team...in my opinion anyway

10 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

Pretty sure he's laughing all the way to the bank.... I thought Baertschi gained some chemistry with Gaudette. Might just be a situation where Baertschi is more valuable in a trade if he clears. We could see him in a trade tomorrow maybe?

If trading him was an option it would have been before today 

19 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

At over 3mm and the concussion issues, I don’t think Baer gets picks up 

I do think Goldy will get picked up 

agreed, but a team may take a flyer on Sven. Or could see another team who has waived a player do a trade after if Sven and their player on waivers clears

Just now, canuck2288 said:

If trading him was an option it would have been before today 

Its JB, he doesn't know how to move a player to gain an asset back. That's why we lacked extra picks all throughout our so called rebuild we went thru

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

agreed, but a team may take a flyer on Sven. Or could see another team who has waived a player do a trade after if Sven and their player on waivers clears

Possible but at a 1mm hit if Baer goes to Utica it would have to be a sweet deal 

10 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Well Loui cost Sven his job with the Canucks 

I hope Loui stops to think about that next time he floats on a shift 

get your head out of your arse and start working for your pay like the rest of us Loui 

There are 14 (15 if you count Roussel) forwards responsible for Baertschi's demotion. But ultimately it's Baertschi that didn't do enough to stand out and make himself suited for a role to keep him on the Canucks.

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

There are 14 (15 if you count Roussel) forwards responsible for Baertschi's demotion. But ultimately it's Baertschi that didn't do enough to stand out and make himself suited for a role to keep him on the Canucks.

This came down to dollars....no savings in waiving LE or TS so Baer was the sacrifice 

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

It's reasonable to call out the one guy left on the roster who refuses to put in an honest effort and moans about his role when he's put on a checking line or sent to the pressbox for his atrocious play though.  Eriksson has done literally nothing to indicate he belongs in the NHL, or cares enough to actually justify a roster spot.

• Upvote 1

Sorry but I have to completely disagree with Benning on this one.  Benning has gone WAY DOWN in terms of my support.

Schaller instead of Baertschi??????  Complete nonsense.  Schaller is a plug...  LE instead of Baertschi... LE is a slug.

Baertschi should have been given an opportunity to prove he is healthy.

If somehow Baertshi doesn't get claimed, then Benning may be justified, but then you've got a 3 mil player in Utica.

Shows a lack of respect in my mind... Baertschi has put heart and soul into this team and has played hard.  He is a quality person... bleeds integrity.

Don't like the message which is being sent to the other members of the team... i.e.  Team has zero loyalty.

Edited by *Buzzsaw*
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

9 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

1. EP

2. Bo

3. Brock

4. JT

5. Ferland

6-9. Then imo Sven/Pearson/Leivo/Roussel who are all close. All 4 of these guys can be good 3rd liners or fill in top 6 wingers for injuries

10-13 Journeyman Beagle and Sutter at C, underwhelming #6 pick Jake, youngster Gaud hoping to take a step forward this year

Enigma Goldy, has great skills. Cant put it together when it counts hence the waiving

Motte- a fringe #13F on a decent team or a call up player from the A to fill a 4th line grinder energy role

Then way down you have LE and Schaller

• Wat 1

40 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

The bottom six contains (mainly) your best defensive group. Bärtschi doesn't kill penalties as well as lost his spot on the PP.

There's no room on the roster for a player with limited flexibility.

Look at it this way, he'll have PLENTY of ice time in Utica.

That logic makes no sense. Its not like Schaller or Lievo bring any type of upgrade on Baer in the bottom 6 anyways. 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Lots of pages.

Makes sense, Baer is a beaut.

I'm sad, but will give the brain trust the respect that they know what they're doing. 

Go Nucks

Trust the same guys who signed LE, Gagner, Schaller etc? Mighty big trust you have! Management hasn't proven much to me other than EP and Brock being solid picks. Hughes we shall see how he does in the Bigs. OJ- been an injury plagued road since being drafted. Jake- suppose to be a surefire top 6 goal scoring with high intensity who likes to hit. Looks to be a fringe 3rd liner with a low hockey iq not capable of playing higher in the line up

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Wonder who we’ll put a claim on.

Most likely a Dman. Would they claim Schenn after he chose Tampa over us?

I like scoring depth, Sprong had 14g in just over half a year. Schenn was a feel good story at the end of last year but he is a #7-9 D for us this year. rather take a flyer on a F with some scoring ability. Feel we have lacked scoring depth for years, and even with the upgrades it never hurts to have more players capable of creating or finishing in the O zone.

Doubt he put in any claim tho if we do have an extra spot available, Roussel will be back soonish and apparently Gaud needs to earn and beat out LE or Schaller to get into some games as things currently sit haha...oh my!