The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Actually they will be paying Baertschi more to play in the minors than they would Eriksson.

After his signing bonus Loui only has a base salary of 1 million. Baertschi has a base salary of 2.7 million.

So I don’t see how ownership would be against keeping Baertschi up over Eriksson.

They paid that bonus for this season, so it counts towards this season. Just cause it's paid already doesn't mean it's simply gone.

Just now, VforVirtanen said:

I did not see this coming, that is true. Neither did most of our fan base. Either they are incapable of understanding our genius and should turn over team decisions to an internet vote or they know what they are doing. 

Given how our team looks now compared to before Benning took over, I am inclined to believe the latter is more likely. Especially when the reasons they have given make perfect sense and may end up being in Baer’s best interests as well. 

Benning bro out. 

Isn't that sort of a 'blind faith' mentality though? I like what Benning has done with the team this year as well, but I'm not going to overlook the fact that some glaring mistakes have been made along the way either. I don't think they're as numerous or as damaging as your typical HFBoard poster would have you believe, but they still exist, and to pretend that there isn't precedence for errors made from this management group just because the team 'looks good now' is flawed reasoning imho. 

Just now, theo5789 said:

They paid that bonus for this season, so it counts towards this season. Just cause it's paid already doesn't mean it's simply gone.

It’s a lump sum paid in the summer. 

His actual salary which will be part of their season long operating costs will be 1 million. A signing bonus is separate.

10 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Isn't that sort of a 'blind faith' mentality though? I like what Benning has done with the team this year as well, but I'm not going to overlook the fact that some glaring mistakes have been made along the way either. I don't think they're as numerous or as damaging as your typical HFBoard poster would have you believe, but they still exist, and to pretend that there isn't precedence for errors made from this management group just because the team 'looks good now' is flawed reasoning imho. 

I don’t think it is. I just acknowledge that they have both expertise and a massive knowledge gap compared to the fan base (seeing every practice, knowing the players capabilities) that these decisions are based on far more than what we can see in a few games.  

They have earned my trust because I never expected a mistake-free performance from them. Every GM makes some mistakes. 

I suspect this wont be one of them any more than many other unpopular decisions that were later proven to be right. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Wow. Is there any way he doesnt get claimed? Teams like Edmonton or Ottawa are bound to take a shot on him. 

This feels overly unfortunate as he's way better than at least a couple players not being waived. 

I like Baer, but seriously doubt he gets claimed.  He’s on a pretty big ticket for two more seasons.  I’d be supper happy for him if he did get claimed though.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, VforVirtanen said:

I don’t think it is. I just acknowledge that they have both expertise and a massive knowledge gap compared to the fan base (seeing every practice, knowing the players capabilities) that these decisions are based on far more than what we can see in a few games.  

They have earned my trust because I never expected a mistake-free performance from them. Every GM makes some mistakes. 

I suspect this wont be one of them any more than many other unpopular decisions that were later proven to be right. 

100%!!! Couldn’t have said it better!! 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, IBatch said:

True but scoring goals is important too.   Management must have a reason for it - he’s a better player then quite a few of the guys they kept instead - one hit away from the end of his career is one debate - but it’s not like it can’t happen in Utica either.  A head scratcher for sure.  LE must be feeling some heat his job is definitely on the line if things don’t work out once things get going.

I look at greens comments after preseason about Gaudette and how they were assessing his ability to play a checking role. As he wouldn't be given the offensive opportunities he was being given during the regular season. I think that same mentality is why we now see Bae and Goldy on the waiver wire. it's clear green wants his bottom 6 to shoulder the defensive load. LE is still here because dispite his  lack of offense he is one of the most effective PKers on the team. I expect he will be waived when Roussel returns.

Edited by hammertime
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It’s a lump sum paid in the summer. 

His actual salary which will be part of their season long operating costs will be 1 million. A signing bonus is separate.

Yes but it's paid for this season and cannot be ignored as being "paid less".

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Wow. Is there any way he doesnt get claimed? Teams like Edmonton or Ottawa are bound to take a shot on him. 

This feels overly unfortunate as he's way better than at least a couple players not being waived. 

Melnyk doesn't care about winning enough to spend 3 million on improving the team.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like Baer, but seriously doubt he gets claimed.  He’s on a pretty big ticket for two more seasons.  I’d be supper happy for him if he did get claimed though.  

Its really not much for a team with cap space though, and he is easily an upgrade for some teams on the wing. 

8 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

In reference to the bolded, in what role?

The top six is set and Bärtschi is unsuited to a bottom six role, hence the demotion.

3 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

In reference to the bolded, in what role?

The top six is set and Bärtschi is unsuited to a bottom six role, hence the demotion.

Bottom 6 roles are overrated in 2019. Teams are rolling 4 lines that can play, and baer is a responsible winger with some offensive talent. Its not like he has to play pk min or anything and its not like he's going to be a liability playing matchups. 

Edited by LarsEller

10 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Bottom 6 roles are overrated in 2019. Teams are rolling 4 lines that can play, and baer is a responsible winger with some offensive talent. Its not like he has to play pk min or anything and its not like he's going to be a liability playing matchups. 

The bottom six contains (mainly) your best defensive group. Bärtschi doesn't kill penalties as well as lost his spot on the PP.

There's no room on the roster for a player with limited flexibility.

Look at it this way, he'll have PLENTY of ice time in Utica.

Edited by Lionized27

Haven't read all pages, but what I have read, everyone is pissed at Benning and no talk of Green. Green tells Benning the roster he wants. 

I didn't see this coming, but it makes sense. LE and others can play down the lineup whereas Baer can not. If he does go unclaimed then we have a solid top 6 guy to call up for injuries. If he does get claimed we get cap relief. 

Baer would look good on Edm wings but they don't have the cap space from my memory.

• Upvote 2