The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

9 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Do you honestly think Leivo or Schaller bring anything to the bottom 6 that Baer doesn't or can't? This is a money deciscion and has nothing to do with not being able to play bottom 6. 

That and it’s a safe bet Baer gets 25 games in this year.....

5 minutes ago, LarsEller said:

Do you honestly think Leivo or Schaller bring anything to the bottom 6 that Baer doesn't or can't? This is a money deciscion and has nothing to do with not being able to play bottom 6. 

Schaller brings grit and size, leivo size and not as much grit, Right and left shooting. Both around 200lbs and 6"2. 

Leivo and Schaller have no concussion history,( i think) i like baer though i would hate to see him go threw a marc savard type situation.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

How about the contract he was worth when JB signed him, as many teams would have

And you know this... how?

Loui was coming off a 6 yr 4.25M/yr contract, after his best year with the Bruins, a 30-goal scorer that year.  I struggle to imagine he was getting many offers close to his old contract, and doubt he would sign one in July.

Mats Zuccarello was in a similar position this past year.  similar age at the time of signing, making 4.5 per on his last contract, he now has a 5yr, 6m per contract, and his offense was never up to Loui's the year prior to signing.

13 hours ago, billabong said:

I can see bear going waivers cause it’s a win win. He probably won’t get claimed cause of his injury history but if he does he’s a replaceable player in the line up and you free up cap space 

Making cap room to sign Tryamkin at season end....nobody would pick up LE; therefore. Baer is expendable....even though he had chemistry with Horvat....Baer, Horvat and Miller would have made a scoring second line.

With Gaudette sticking, we were going to have to waive a couple of guys. Goldy didn't stand out and isn't physical enough. Baertschi ,with his concussion history, is a gamble to last the season. Seems like a calculated risk for them to hopefully sneak through waivers. To me Biega is the most likely to get picked up. We'll see tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Haha, nope :lol:

People have actually been discussing it for a while, especially @mll

Speak of the devil! Yup. But according to some, he lost his job to Schaller :lol: Even though in their own words, they don't play the same role :emot-parrot:

This is 100% the problem though. The problem was that he wasn’t competing with Schaller for a job just because they play “different roles.”

Given that you want 12 forwards on the roster, and you have nine “top 6 forwards” and six “bottom 6 forwards,” you dont just cut the three worst “top 6 forwards,” you should always cut the three worst “bottom six forwards.” The idea that you can only have a certain amount of players like Baer while you need to have a certain amount of players like Schaller is nonsensical and totally archaic. I get it when it’s something like Motte over Goldobin, since their value is similar anyway, but the difference between Baer and Schaller is massive.

You should ALWAYS pick the best players to be on the roster. So the fact that Baertschi wasn’t competing with Schaller just because they have different roles is stupid and archaic. I made this example earlier, but you’re not gonna see team Canada cut Brad Marchand and keep Brandon Sutter because Marchand didn’t make the cut for his scoring role while Sutter made the cut for his checking role. It ALWAYS should be the best 13-14 forwards and the best 7-8 on defense. 

It becomes evident when you play a team and they have 3 or 4 capable scoring lines, and you intentionally limited yourself to 2 scoring lines because you believe its the “right way” of constructing a roster.

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Yes but Tryamkin whined about his role on the Canucks, he even whined about the city of Vancouver yet we are willing to forget all that and welcome him with open arms? Here come slap me hard across the face. thanks, now come give me a hug?

So what? It isn't like he stormed off with his middle finger in the air.  He whined a bit and did what he felt he needed to in Russia for whatever reasons they may be - culturally, maturity, family, developmentally.

2 years older, 2 years wiser. If he can help this team I would be thrilled to have his massive body out there. If there was any way to get him over here even as a fill-in for the inevitable injuries, I'm all for it.

Players still on the team over Baer....Schaller, LE and Motte. The difference is Baer can score when he plays with players like Horvat and Miller...those other 3 players can't.

It will be hard to watch when Jake becomes invisible in half the games he plays, and when LE and Schaller start to labour over being snake bitten, and Motte tries hard but doesn't score.

On the bright side Gaudette is on the team and when Lind starts to light it up, then he can take a spot from one of LE, Motte or Schaller, more easier than from Baer if he were still on the team.

Edited by Pete M

Theres legitimate facts everyone here seems to be over looking. Baer as much as I love him, probably done playing. I'll bet money on this.. this isn't hate... it's based on history. He missed basically a full season the last two years with concussions...this issue isn't to be taken lightly. I'm pulling for him, but is he a hard, legal, check away from retirement? I hope not, but I believe it's the case..

Second. LE is a plug. But his past season numbers when he signed earned him that contact. No one could foresee the wheels falling off. Being said. Maybe he nets 10 by Christmas and we can offload him. Atleast he can Pk and hasn't been injury rittled. 

Twitter doesn't know everything. Theres a plan in place. Be happy Gaudette is on the team and we are turning a page. Goldy, baer, biega have all be given ample chances. If they cant crack our line up, where do they fit.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Grape said:

It should never have been Baertschi.

It’s like whoever made the decision is stuck in the past, thinking you have two types of forwards: top 6 and bottom 6 forwards, and that if you have too many top 6 forward you have to cut them because you can only have 6 of them.

If you have a guy like Baertschi, a “top 6 forward” who is not in the top 6, you put him in the bottom 6, and when someone inevitably gets hurt you slide him back up. The idea that you have to set a bottom 6 composed of only types of players that suit the bottom 6 is so boneheaded and stuck in the past. Do you think team Canada thinks: “man we gotta cut Brad Marchand because he’s the 7th best “top 6 forward” so that we can have Brandon Sutter who is a great bottom 6 forward”? Obviously this is a stretch but you’re ALLOWED to have a guy like Baertschi over a guy a guy like Sutter/Schaller/Motte in the bottom 6. 

Im speculating on this being the reasoning. But it sure feels like the reasoning since we kept so many bottom 6 guys.

Steve Yzerman was cut from team Canada despite being a 100 point player. Twice. The knock was he was too one dimensional and didn't contribute defensively. There's a few knocks on Baertschi: not physical/agressive enough, doesn't pk, and with the summer additions may not even make the 2nd pp unit. Sometimes cuts are decided by who brings versatility to the table, or fills roles, rather than who puts up more points. Btw, Sutter, Schaller, and Motte all play both center and wing. All three are capable pk'ers as well. Versatility.  I like Baer, and his defensive game has improved, but there's question marks there for being an overall better fit.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Schaller brings grit and size, leivo size and not as much grit, Right and left shooting. Both around 200lbs and 6"2. 

Leivo and Schaller have no concussion history,( i think) i like baer though i would hate to see him go threw a marc savard type situation.

I think the reality is that no one would claim Schaller and the Canucks need to free a couple mill in cap. He's basically invisible on the ice. 

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Yes but Tryamkin whined about his role on the Canucks, he even whined about the city of Vancouver yet we are willing to forget all that and welcome him with open arms? Here come slap me hard across the face. thanks, now come give me a hug?

Yes! Because he's a massive defender with lots of potential. I don't expect or want him to be like pronger or to smoke a blunt for that matter, I just want him to work hard and play well....throw some hits... 

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

Speak of the devil! Yup. But according to some, he lost his job to Schaller :lol: Even though in their own words, they don't play the same role :emot-parrot:

Haha yeah.  Baer plays the role of a good top 9 forward.  Schaller plays the role of the guy that should be on waivers. 

10 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Players still on the team over Baer....Schaller, LE and Motte. The difference is Baer can score when he plays with players like Horvat and Miller...those other 3 players can't.

It will be hard to watch when Jake becomes invisible in half the games he plays, and when LE and Schaller start to labour over being snake bitten, and Motte tries hard but doesn't score.

On the bright side Gaudette is on the team and when Lind starts to light it up, then he can take a spot from one of LE, Motte or Schaller, more easier than from Baer if he were still on the team.

It wasn't those guys that stole Baer's spot..... it was Gaudette, who I honestly believed all summer would be in Utica to start the year. But that was before his preseason performance.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

My guess is he will have more value once he clears waivers as he can be recalled at any time.

A trade could still happen.

There's no value for a guy making 3.4 million in the minors that no team wanted for free and cleared wavers.  

No team keeps this types of players in minors as backup in case if injury. Not even the Leafs with all their money to burn. That would be idiotic and GM should be fired for even thinking about that.  

If a team needs him 3 months down the road they'd send Canucks a minor leaguer in return and trade for him at the time of need. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Baggins said:

It wasn't those guys that stole Baer's spot..... it was Gaudette, who I honestly believed all summer would be in Utica to start the year. But that was before his preseason performance.

Yeah, Gaudette performed well....but I've seen Baer work well with Horvat and with Miller on the line, I can see Baer being more productive. Baer is a proven scorer. 

I haven't seen much from LE, Motte or Schaller....I have no problem with waiving Goldy because he was not doing much of anything..similar to Motte and Schaller who do try hard but don't score too much....they're your average plumber.