The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] September 30th - 39 players (Baertschi, Goldobin, Biega)

Ossi Vaananen

Just now, awalk said:

From Wiki regarding re-entry waivers:

"Exceptions are players who have played in over 320 professional games (180 for goaltenders) and have not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the past two seasons or 40 games during the previous season."

Sven only played 79 games over the past two seasons, but falls short of the 320 games (has played 285). So that means he will have to clear re-entry waivers to be recalled, correct? Meaning a team can grab him and only be on the hook for 50% of salary/cap hit? 

Re-entry waivers only apply to players signed after playing in europe/khl last season that weren't previously in your teams system. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Re-entry waivers only apply to players signed after playing in europe/khl last season that weren't previously in your teams system. 

From wiki:

"With limited exceptions, any player who was subject to waivers before assignment to the minors must clear re-entry waivers before being called back up if said player is on a one-way contract or a two-way contract with an AHL salary in excess of $105,000."

Not sure what is true, where are you sourcing your info? 

I believe any players signing from Europe have to clear normal waivers, not re-entry waivers. 

The Arizona Coyotes claimed goaltender Eric Comrie off waivers from the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday, while the Jets claimed defenceman Carl Dahlstrom from the Chicago Blackhawks.

All other players placed on waivers Monday cleared.

Comrie was a restricted free agent this summer and signed a two-year deal with the Jets carrying $700,000 cap hit. The 24-year-old appeared in one game with the Jets last season, allowing five goals.

The 2013 second-round pick posted a 25-20-2 record with the AHL's Manitoba Moose last season, recording a .917 save percentage and a 2.69 goals-against average.

Dahlstrom, 24, had six assists in 38 games with the Blackhawks last season. The left-hand shot was also drafted in the second round of the 2013 NHL Draft by the Blackhawks.

The Swedish blueliner carries a $850,000 cap hit and is signed through next season.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, awalk said:

From wiki:

"With limited exceptions, any player who was subject to waivers before assignment to the minors must clear re-entry waivers before being called back up if said player is on a one-way contract or a two-way contract with an AHL salary in excess of $105,000."

I believe any players signing from Europe have to clear normal waivers, not re-entry waivers. 

The 2005 NHL-NHLPA collective bargaining agreement (CBA) introduced "re-entry waivers." With limited exceptions, any player who was subject to waivers before assignment to the minors must clear re-entry waivers before being called back up if said player is on a one-way contract or a two-way contract with an AHL salary in excess of $105,000. Exceptions are players who have played in over 320 professional games (180 for goaltenders) and have not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the past two seasons or 40 games during the previous season. The procedure to make a claim on re-entry waivers is the same; however, teams who claim players on re-entry waivers are only responsible for half the salary and cap hit, while the original team is responsible for the other half, unless the claimed player is later assigned to the AHL again before his contract has expired, in which case the salary and cap hit comes off the books of both teams.

The CBA ratified in January 2013 eliminated re-entry waivers.[5]

Just needed to read a little further there.

Edited by Aladeen
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, awalk said:

From wiki:

They did away with re-entry waivers in the last CBA so that guys wouldn't get buried in the minors just so that their team didn't have to risk losing them.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I believe that is called "Return Waivers" now, btw. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Oh, I'm not talking about them.

We still don't have room for Adam 'Earned it' Gaudette given he was a spare along with Eriksson yesterday. And that's before Roussel comes back. I'm not sure there's room on this team for all three of Virtanen, Leivo and Gaudette long term...

yeah could be, I'd think Leivo would be most at risk, while Jake gets the best return (with AG being untouchable).

I think all the angst yesterday was over mistaken ideas over roles. We actually have guys that are good at their role, not guys we need to try to fit into jobs they aren't suited for. Yes, Schaller and Beagle are better on a 4th line than Baer. Its actually a good thing imo that we actually have guys suited to their jobs.

Which brings me to Jake... does he have a role on this team anymore thats suited to the skill set he's shown?

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, awalk said:

From Wiki regarding re-entry waivers:

"Exceptions are players who have played in over 320 professional games (180 for goaltenders) and have not spent more than 80 games on an NHL roster in the past two seasons or 40 games during the previous season."

Sven only played 79 games over the past two seasons, but falls short of the 320 games (has played 285). So that means he will have to clear re-entry waivers to be recalled, correct? Meaning a team can grab him and only be on the hook for 50% of salary/cap hit? 

There are no re-entry waivers in the new CBA. That article is very outdated.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah could be, I'd think Leivo would be most at risk, while Jake gets the best return (with AG being untouchable).

I think all the angst yesterday was over mistaken ideas over roles. We actually have guys that are good at their role, not guys we need to try to fit into jobs they aren't suited for. Yes, Schaller and Beagle are better on a 4th line than Baer. Its actually a good thing imo that we actually have guys suited to their jobs.

Which brings me to Jake... does he have a role on this team anymore thats suited to the skill set he's shown?

It’s becoming less clear imo.  

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

It’s becoming less clear imo.  

yeah me too. If he's a bottom 6 guy he's got some real competition for the 3rd line in particular. If he's destined for the 4th line I'd rather move him while other GMs might see some hope to turn him around. He isn't a fit on our top 6 unless Pearson poops the bed. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think all the angst yesterday was over mistaken ideas over roles. We actually have guys that are good at their role, not guys we need to try to fit into jobs their aren't suited for. Yes, Schaller and Beagle are better on a 4th line than Baer. Its actually a good thing imo that we actually have guys suited to their jobs.

I'd generally agree re values and risk (and re: yesterday and roles).

He can certainly still play a solid 2 way 3RW role (with occasional top 6 injury fill in) and possibly excel there (as he has in the past) but problem is, so can Leivo and Gaudette. I'm not so sure he's a great fit on the 4th line however (same with the other two)...would be similar to the square peg issue here with Baer.

That leaves a little wiggle room with Roussel out to have a guy like Leivo filling in there for now. Leivo/Gaudette/Virtanen can potentially rotate those two winger spots until Roussel returns. But when that happens...something's got to give IMO.

Perhaps we can package up one with Baer for something...?

1 minute ago, mll said:

Eriksson was coming off a 73 pt season in Dallas.  

True... But very funny nevertheless.... :P... let's not be too serious.

I'm delighted he cleared. Not sure if there was a single reason for him being put on waivers, or if was an amalgamation of all the issues... 

I don't think he fits well on the third line, and Benning had earmarked Pearson to play with Horvat.

He has had injury problems, possibly 1 concussion away from retirement, £3.3mill for another 2 years etc....

Could be that he didn't particularly wanted rid of him, and this was the right time to wave him, thus having him for call up in case of injury? I know they say trade talk had been ongoing during summer, but whether he was part of a bigger deal idk....

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yeah me too. If he's a bottom 6 guy he's got some real competition for the 3rd line in particular. If he's destined for the 4th line I'd rather move him while other GMs might see some hope to turn him around. He isn't a fit on our top 6 unless Pearson poops the bed. 

Exactly he way I see it.

I’m thinking another bottom pairing dman in a trade that has some size.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Exactly he way I see it.

I’m thinking another bottom pairing dman in a trade that has some size.

We don't really need a bottom pair D though.

Now if we're packaging Virtanen with say Tanev...