The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi should be in the ring of honor.

Rate this topic

CanuckGAME

Should Todd Bertuzzi be inducted into the ring of honor?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, linden17 said:

100% he should. For three years he was the best power forward in the game and was a superstar around the nhl. The west coast express was the biggest ticket seller around the league. He was part of the best line we have ever had and part of arguably the best and most exciting team we ever had. If the Steve Moore incident doesn’t happen I still believe we have a great run at the cup. 

That team with Luongo/Schneider would have won the cup.

Sedins were 3rd liners ffs

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Strongly disagree. I love the 2011 team but the west coast express era was super skilled, big crashing bodies and a great defence. In my opinion it’s them or the 94 team that was the greatest. Sedins third liners? Come on, man.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Sorry I misread that. The west coast express with luongo and Schneider would of been great. I love Dan cloutier and believe he was a top ten goalie in the league. He had a bad fumble in that series against the wild. It’s sucks. As far as the Detroit series a year prior, we weren’t going to win that year anyways. It sucks he is remembered by many for those two games. He saved our ass many times other than those games. But yeah maybe we go all the way if we had Lou and Cory. Who knows but your comment about the Sedins is asinine and u know it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Unlikely.  

As much flack as Cloutier got, many Canucks player were leaving him out to dry on many of those goals in 2003.  

The west coast express was definitely "offense first".

When Brent Sopel is considered to be one of the more "Defensive" defencemen on the team (along with Marek Malik as "the D-guy") you know you're not thinking about stopping them.

• Upvote 1

Let's just retire his jersey. I don't think anyone will ever wear it better than he did. He scored 46 for us one season. That's Nazzy level, and his number is deservingly retired.

I just love seeing Canucks alumni surprise us like that. 

Setting the bar pretty low.

Everybody loved Bert, but this tradition of celebrating mediocrity and retiring guys like Naslund’s number isn’t what the team or even it’s players should aspire to be. The ring will grow and grow until it means literally nothing. 

A 100 point season and a few 80’s gets your number retired here. That’s pathetic. 

• Wat 5
  • Upvote 4

I'm a huge Bertuzzi fan (he was my favourite player as a kid), but I'm not sure he was really around here long enough or dominant for enough years to merit that honour. All of the players currently in the ROH played for Vancouver much longer than Bert did (except Kurtenbach). To me, he'd be on the fringe of making it. I wouldn't be strongly against it, but I would be fine with leaving him out.

Canucks ROH.png

Kurtenbach was voted in because he was the first captain.

Quinn was voted in more as a GM and Coach than as a player.

McLean was a goaltender and goalies play fewer games than skaters.

The closest comparable to Bertuzzi is Gradin, and that's where maybe a case could be made, but even Gradin played more games. Bert's first season was really only the final 22 games of the 1997-98 season. If Bertuzzi makes it in, he just barely makes it in, as his longevity doesn't really stack up to that of other players.

Kind of hurts to say since I love the guy so much, but feelings can't get in the way of facts.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, he is closer to Gradin than I really realized and although his Canucks career points-per-game is lower (and thus his total points significantly lower (101 points fewer than Gradin)), it's worth noting the different in offense between the early 80s and the early 2000s. There may actually be a case here.

The other case some may put up against him is that the hit on Moore would exclude him from any honour, but I myself would disagree with that. He made a stupid decision, but he apologized and life has moved on. No point on hanging a guy's entire career on one dumb mistake. If he's kept out of the ROH, I'd rather it be due to his performance, longevity, and impact than a single bad moment.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, linden17 said:

Sorry I misread that. The west coast express with luongo and Schneider would of been great. I love Dan cloutier and believe he was a top ten goalie in the league. He had a bad fumble in that series against the wild. It’s sucks. As far as the Detroit series a year prior, we weren’t going to win that year anyways. It sucks he is remembered by many for those two games. He saved our ass many times other than those games. But yeah maybe we go all the way if we had Lou and Cory. Who knows but your comment about the Sedins is asinine and u know it.

Ya, effing Lidstrom!

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Setting the bar pretty low.

Everybody loved Bert, but this tradition of celebrating mediocrity and retiring guys like Naslund’s number isn’t what the team or even it’s players should aspire to be. The ring will grow and grow until it means literally nothing. 

A 100 point season and a few 80’s gets your number retired here. That’s pathetic. 

As much as I agree. His points don't add up but he is the best power forward in my books, that the Canucks have ever seen...

he did take over the league and was a huge part of the best line I've ever seen in Van...

He gave us his best hockey in my books and he deserves it. 

What they need to do is bring Bert onto the coaching staff

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

You know AJ...….I loved everything until you talked about Moore

To this day, I will say that it was not Todd's punch that hurt Moore, but the gang that fell onto him and Bert afterwards

It really Psses me Off, when people talk about it like Bert was the one that broke his neck

Yes, Bert was wrong for doing it that way, but seriously, every person and their dog was wanting someone to act

Bert was the poor guy that answer the bell for what Moore did, which was also by that days standard, bush

So, if Bert was a vigilante, so were the guys on his back, who were not letting the referees deal with it.....to me it is exactly the same

But, the up roar from the fans, that have never played hockey, and never took the 1000 elbows, or the knees, or the crosschecks

created the mob frenzy around that whole thing...………..again what was the difference? And plz do not get into it.

But as my early post stated...…….Bert bled for us, and was punished for something, that in the old days, they would have just put out a goon to do.

Man, I am so sick of that stance!

End of rant!

Respectfully…..Sorry!

Well as I stated, I don't think it should be held against him in the case for induction to the ROH, but I do think he made a mistake. I have no problem with Bert challenging him, but the way he went about it I think was very unwise.

That said, I do also strongly agree that it was Moore's teammates jumping on the back of Bertuzzi under whom Moore was lying that did the majority of the damage. Had his teammates not multiplied the issue, I imagine Moore would've suffered a bad injury, but not a career-ending one.

Regardless, I digress; it was a long time ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2