The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi should be in the ring of honor.

Rate this topic

CanuckGAME

Should Todd Bertuzzi be inducted into the ring of honor?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Avs just wanted to play hockey that night.  Geesh.

image.png

Yep, Bert's a monster.   Av's showed up ONLY to play hockey, NOT to battle.  Game was completely as it should have been...was totally under control. 

9-2 and parade a guy smugly after he's concussed another guy in a play that was nothing about puck possession.

Granato was standing ON the bench, screaming throughout.  But yeah, it's all Bert's fault.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you really need to go back and look at the video. Moore lets the puck go by and puts his shoulder into Nazzy. Blaming Nazulnd for that hit is &^@#ing ridiculous. Maybe the worst revisionist comment I've seen on CDC. 

No need. I've watched it multiple times.

The question on my mind is:

Considering the "Bertuzzi incident" can it really be said that he should be in the Ring of Honor? I don't know if a good record of conduct is a factor in deciding whether a player should be placed inside The Ring of Honor which is why I'm unsure. The problem is that that incident had rippled so far across the hockey world, that hockey players may see this as a way of saying "As long as you put up the points, your behavior doesn't matter" 

So...should he be in The Ring of Honor? I'm neutral about the situation.

Edited by Sandro17

6 minutes ago, Sandro17 said:

Considering the "Bertuzzi incident" can it really be said that he should be in the Ring of Honor? I don't know if a good record of conduct is a factor in deciding whether a player should be placed inside The Ring of Honor which is why I'm unsure. 

I think I know what you're trying to say, but the way I see it, Bertuzzi is an honourable man. He very much honoured the captain of the Vancouver Canucks to the degree that he wouldn't let some no-name punk come along and derail the captain's career without consequence. That is showing respect to a team captain, and quite frankly, our current team could use a bit more of it.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Avs just wanted to play hockey that night.  Geesh.

image.png

Yep, Bert's a monster.   Av's showed up ONLY to play hockey, NOT to battle.  Game was completely as it should have been...was totally under control. 

9-2 and parade a guy smugly after he's concussed another guy in a play that was nothing about puck possession.

Granato was standing ON the bench, screaming throughout.  But yeah, it's all Bert's fault.

I just re-watched this game (it's on YouTube)

Brad May was an absolute animal in this game.  LOVED watching his antics.  Really miss the way hockey was when toughness was a part of it.  Real rivalries,  real emotion.  Just a great feeling that hockey today misses.

Minus the blowout score,  minus the Bertuzzi/Moore incident,  that game was amazing.  Full of energy.   I urge anyone to watch it again and watch Mayday in action.  Was an absolute beast.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Baggins said:

I can only guess you're not old enough to have watched Smyl, Snepsts, and Gradin play. It's not always about goals and assists. Snepsts never put up big number but had the same number of all-star appearances as Bert - two. A guy doesn't play over 1000 NHL games because he's a hack. Smyl was our longest serving captain and retired with a load of Canuck records at that time. Of the three Gradin is the only one, like Bert, I see as borderline for the RoH. Smyl was worthy of his number being retired and Snepsts absolutely worthy of the RoH.

Been here for a long long time......loved all those guys

All worthy of ROH

But Bert was good enough to be a league allstar 

In 2002 - 2003

Todd beat out Jerome Inginla, Jaromir Jagr, and Martin St. Louis, to name a few

to be placed as the Best RWer in the NHL 1st All Star team

Mogilny 1995 - 1996......1X 2nd allstar team

Naslund 2001 - 2004.....3X 1st allstar team

Bertuzzi  2002 -2003......1X 1st allstar team

Luongo 2006 -2007...…..1X 2nd allstar team

H. Sedin 2009 - 2011...…2X 1st allstar team

D. Sedin 2009 - 2011.......2X (1)1st, (1) 2nd allsar team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_All-Star_Team#2000s

That is the sum of our allstar players

Going to an allstar game is absolutely not the same, and it should be put it in absolute perspective. The above group is a very select group...

Not even Bure made it when he was here in Vancouver

So when we talk about all the other Canucks......lets be careful, that we are comparing apples to apples here......OK!

Allstar game appearances, have been done in a multitude of ways..voted by the fans, voted by the players, and voted by the coaches, and in some cases assigned by the GM.

Some years, there had to be 1 player from each team, so in some cases, players that were not that good actually were sent...…….. 

Please note in the years that Naslund won it, Bertuzzi was also very close to being voted on to the second allstar team, from what I can gather. League wide!

People that argue, that Snepts and Bertuzzi were in any way equal, are just totally uninformed

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, the grinder said:

umm Harold was a 2 time all star in 77 and 82  , gradin was on the 82 team  and scored 86 points twice , stan smyl was a point a game player in the 82 , including the playoffs  so these player are all that and more , they are more than just  team good ,

UMMMMM!

Read the response to Baggins, that is just above this post

Man! ………….@#&*(#@^%.............People!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but its not the street, it was during an NHL game at a time when the code mattered a lot more.

Moore knew he was risking retaliation and he turtled. He was as responsible as anyone in what happened. If you weren't a fan of the game at the time this happened and really many years leading up to it,  I don't know if a person can understand. 

Rule of the code was no turtling, but since Moore fought Cooke, was he obligated  to fight Todd?

Also no sucker punches in the “code” so Bertuzzi broke that code.

Or does the no turtling code negates sucker punch code?

• Thanks 1

It really hurts that my favourite player as a child's legacy is a disgusting sucker punch. No one's ever going to bring his name up again without it digressing into what he did to Moore.

I don't understand how people try to justify it or mitigate Bertuzzi's blame. I was 8 years old when it happened, and some of what I read here aligns remarkably well with what my thought was then. I just couldn't accept that my hero had done something terrible- so Moore must have deserve it, it was everyone else's fault for jumping on the pile, etc.. I'm so glad I've gotten out of that way of thinking since then, but it's fascinating to see so many others who haven't whenever the topic is brought up. Todd did wrong.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, 112 said:

It really hurts that my favourite player as a child's legacy is a disgusting sucker punch. No one's ever going to bring his name up again without it digressing into what he did to Moore.

I don't understand how people try to justify it or mitigate Bertuzzi's blame. I was 8 years old when it happened, and some of what I read here aligns remarkably well with what my thought was then. I just couldn't accept that my hero had done something terrible- so Moore must have deserve it, it was everyone else's fault for jumping on the pile, etc.. I'm so glad I've gotten out of that way of thinking since then, but it's fascinating to see so many others who haven't whenever the topic is brought up. Todd did wrong.

Yes Todd did wrong.

I'm honestly tired of even hearing about it.  Move on.  Everyone bringing up this one game should move on.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So I just want to clarify everyone's thinking.... yes todd sucker punched Moore.... no Todd did not break Moores neck.

Now that we have established that......

How many  nhlers have cheapshoted another player atleast once?

My guess would be close to all.

Have the top end talent in nhl ever been barred to the hall of fame for a cheap shot? None! Infact I would say some got in for that exact reason.

Has a number not been retired or honor not bestowed on a deserving  player because of a sucker punch? None. 

Someone going to tell crosby his numbers not getting retired because he plays dirty sometimes??? Yeah right.

So perspective all you Todd haters.... yes the punch was stupid....

But the real reason you all are so hard on him is Moore's neck got broken.... this is a terrible thing... but if it was Todd's fault.... he woulda went to jail and had a criminal record. And that's a fact.

Community service and no criminal record is what he got.... so the justice department clearly thought the breaking of Moore's neck was not bertuzzi fault.

Cheers

Edited by Snapshot85

These are Toni Tanti's stats for just 5 of his 8 seasons with the Canucks.

tanti.jpg

He didn't have Markus Naslund as his center. Make the case anyone deserves to get in more than him. I will listen.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

In the end, because Gradin made it in the ROH, I think the bar is set low enough that there would be justification for Bertuzzi to get in, but I agree with @Baggins, he's borderline. Either way, if it were to happen, I'd be very excited to see my childhood hero celebrated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Rule of the code was no turtling, but since Moore fought Cooke, was he obligated  to fight Todd?

Also no sucker punches in the “code” so Bertuzzi broke that code.

Or does the no turtling code negates sucker punch code?

yes, he was. You don't turn your back in that situation, unless you're an idiot. 

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

tanti.jpg

Make the case anyone deserves to get in more than him.

1980s.

Their final ranks in NHL scoring points-per-game during their primes:

Bertuzzi vs Tanti.png

I actually love Tanti and think he's criminally underrated, but I would not put him above Bertuzzi. Tanti at his best was a great 1st line player. Bertuzzi at his best was one of the top players in the entire league. The numbers are misleading without context of the difference between the 80s and 2000s.

• Cheers 2

42 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

tanti.jpg

He didn't have Markus Naslund as his center. Make the case anyone deserves to get in more than him. I will listen.

He had a guy named Patrik Sundstrom from 82 to 86 though

• Upvote 2