The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Todd Bertuzzi should be in the ring of honor.

Rate this topic

CanuckGAME

Should Todd Bertuzzi be inducted into the ring of honor?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Tanti had averaged 40 goals over a 5-year stretch on a subpar Canucks team. First multi-40 goalscorer in club history. Boudrias was an original Canuck who was a top point producer in the club's first 5 seasons. First 60+ assist player in club history and held the club record for the most assists, 62, in a season until Henrik broke it decades later. Those two gave 110% every night.

Bertuzzi only played whenever he felt like it. He was no Jerome Iginla and he was no Cam Neely, two players who came to play. 

Tanti did that in an era where players were scoring 200+ pts. He never took over a game like Bertuzzi did either. 

• Cheers 2

On 10/11/2019 at 10:09 PM, 10pavelbure96 said:

That team with Luongo/Schneider would have won the cup.

Sedins were 3rd liners ffs

Man, I apologize. I guess my wine got to me. I totally misunderstood that you were just pointing out that the Sedins were 3rd liners during the west course express era. I took it as you were saying they were 3rd liners during the 2011 playoff run. My bad.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Yes, here’s another low-achievement achievement/criteria bar... 

Although he was a 1st AO pick who played all of his ~1300 NHL games with one franchise and had some memorable playoff moments, mostly good, other than a GWG-own goal in the SCF against Manaheim, I think. 

Not here to argue the merit of Phillips’ number being retired, just our team’s penchant for celebrating what I perceive as mediocrity, in some instances. 

Bertuzzi was Lindros-like for a very brief few seasons and then became the biggest floater this team ever had. His ability to be offside every shift became infamous, for those who remember the other Bertuzzi, which lasted and lasted until he became Luongo. Best trade ever. (FTR, like all of us, I absolutely loved Bert when he was dominant. Best power hockey we ever saw here, for certain)

Smyl, Linden, even Harold gave their 100% their entire careers here.

Zero percent of people will say that about Bertuzzi. (I’m not even going to get into his game going into the toilet, or his infamous rages, at the same time as testing came into play for international hockey and how he suddenly dropped 20lbs and became almost lethargic out there, but one can connect the dots)

Going back to my first and only point to be made in this thread, I perceive that the Canucks’ ROH, let alone their rafters, have an exceedingly low bar and thus the celebrating of Bertuzzi would continue make my case for me. So for the sake of the spirit of such recognition, and in the name hockey-immortality, I would like to see the Canucks hold the bar a little higher than what his career amounted to here, though I understand it’s not a popular position; who doesn’t want a nostalgic parade like we saw the other night?! I get it, but I don’t like it because it takes away from the spirit of why the NHL started doing this way back in the day.

While rival clubs have legends in their rafters, we have Smyl, etc. Don’t mistake this comment for any slant against Smyl, he was pure heart and my kind of hockey player, but he was a career grinder, not much more. Again, quite the bar for retiring a number. 

I know we are talking ROH here, but that ring will look like a stretched-out Slinky Toy one day soon if the popularity-voting continues, taking away from it all. All of this post being an opinion and a personal preference of course and just one vote. 

Bertuzzi’s bad, the average and then the utter floating outweighs the good, IMO. Not a career worth placing next to Orland’s. 

Maybe your right.  But then maybe we should be looking at others too like Smyl, Gradin, Burrows and Ohlund.    Ohlund ran  the PP for years but couldn’t break the 40 point barrier ...  and it’s not like his 5 x 5 play knocked it out of the park either - his plus minus wasn’t exactly elite or even good against to the best of the the best.  Average.

Bertuzzi lost weight later in his career (Detroit) to stay relevant and keep his foot speed up - I’m sure if you google it you will find the articles because I remember reading them - and he was effective in that role (middle six) actually very good for that time.   Think this idea of yours that he was in steroids is pretty thin.

His career went South after the Moore incident - it affected him deeply.   Had way more to do with his short time on the top then anything else.  And really, who’s ever finished in the top twenty or too ten or top five?  Or top five twice?

The funny thing is I have to agree with some of what your saying too - is Jamie Benn really any different though? A few years on the top - a few years top thirty before and after and then a slide....maybe a little better but not by much.   Comparing different eras isn’t easy / but you can compare top the scorers relatively easily ... Corey Perry comes to mind too.  

9 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Did you watch the game?  I'm curious.  

Do you know the code about running up the score then parading around a rookie who just damaged an all star captain to prove his point?  There likely is one.

I did watch it, sure Granato did not do any favors to Moore by playing him in 9:2 game.

Also Crawford urged that Moore had to pay the price so he is to blame as well.

Cooke went after him, Pronger tried to fight him but only Bertuzzi was dumb enough to sucker punch him.

I know that you feel very passionately about this and that you will never change your mind.

I very much respect that but for me, even if Moore tried to injure Naslund, any man that sucker punches another man is gutless piece of $&!#.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I did watch it, sure Granato did not do any favors to Moore by playing him in 9:2 game.

Also Crawford urged that Moore had to pay the price so he is to blame as well.

Cooke went after him, Pronger tried to fight him but only Bertuzzi was dumb enough to sucker punch him.

I know that you feel very passionately about this and that you will never change your mind.

I very much respect that but for me, even if Moore tried to injure Naslund, any man that sucker punches another man is gutless piece of $&!#.

It was up there as one of the worst moments in our history - we were on the other end with McSorely’s stick on Brashear ... watched both games live and it was sickening ....

However both parties deserve to be judged on the entirety of their careers, not just one moment.  I loved Lion Heart and always wished we had him or someone like him on our team.   As an enforcer he could actually play the game at a decent-good level too for most of his career (McSorley), and if you believe him, which I do, it wasn’t his intention to hit his head, but his shoulder - Brashear was taunting their bench and he wasn’t answering the bell (even though they fought that game).  McSorely paid for this with his career.

What Bertuzzi did was a chicken sh!t move - sure everyone piled on but it’s debatable what caused the break, and in a way Bertuzzi also paid for this with his career - was never the same player and lost enough of his bullish play to make him not as effective.    At the time he was a top five forward league wide, a third and fifth overall finish - after that he had two years close to a PPG and still a top thirty player but not the same.   We traded him at a good time...he did have a re-surgence of sorts in Detroit playing on their middle six...personally i feel it was a total waste of both Bertuzzi and Moore’s career - and Moore has a bit of responsibility in this given how he took out Naslund - and that was the season our team was both considered a contender and that many fans (myself included) felt we had the best chance to win with the WCE team (lessons learned etc)...

It was a huge disappointment, but it shouldn’t all be saddled to what Bertuzzi did ...

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

yes, I got it...that is my reaction to the memory...lol

Yeah I think I might scream out in the middle of the night STILL, "Why pass it to Bossy!" or "Dang you Lafayette [as he hits the post]" or of course "Dammit!  Otto kicked the goal in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".:P

The "trifecta" of Canuckfan nightmares.....

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Yeah I think I might scream out in the middle of the night STILL, "Why pass it to Bossy!" or "Dang you Lafayette [as he hits the post]" or of course "Dammit!  Otto kicked the goal in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".:P

:lol:

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Don’t forget Ronning...can’t get it up.

• Cheers 1

I think what's more important right now than the ROH is the start of a healing process with Bertuzzi, fans, and the organization to a point where Bert can be acknowledged as a player.

There's still a lot of love in this city for Bertuzzi and it was great to see/hear the reception he got at the home opener. It was good for everyone. 

What makes this incredibly difficult is that Bert is so tied to the Moore incident that any celebration of his career would feel awkwardly uncomfortable as if people were condoning or overlooking what he did.

I don't believe people in general have the ability to separate his career and the incident. 

The fact that Bertuzzi agreed to be part of the home opener and skate out on the ice alone in front of fans is a huge step forward for everyone, including himself. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

On 10/12/2019 at 12:24 PM, CanuckGAME said:

todd-bertuzzi-canucks.jpg

Watching Todd skate out onto the ice the other night in full uniform was honestly the happiest I have felt as a Canucks fan in YEARS.  Goosebumps.

I got to relive a very brief moment of my childhood,  my hero's were Markus Naslund, Todd Bertuzzi, Brendan Morrison,  and the rest of the WCE era team.  

Its hard to think of many other players who have touched Vancouver Canucks fans in a way Todd Bertuzzi has.  He was hated around the league,  but he was always OUR GUY. 

I honestly believe he should be cemented as a Canucks legend by having his place in the ring of honor.  And I believe the majority of the fanbase would be in agreeance judging by the enormous ovation he received the other night.  

If you agree he is worthy of a ROH induction,  the best way we can make this happen is by spamming Francesco Aquilinis Twitter to make him aware.   If everyone would take just 30 seconds to write a brief message to push for this,  I think we could make it happen.

https://mobile.twitter.com/fr_aquilini

Make sure to  #TODDBERTUZZIROH

Yes - Bertuzzi should absolutely get the ROH treatment.   Even if it was for a brief 18 month- 2 year stretch (or however long it was), Bertuzzi could make a legit claim to not only being the best player on the Canucks and possibly the league, but one of the most dominant physical forces in NHL history.   

It really is a shame that his body started to break down.   The Moore incident also clearly affected him mentally and so these two contributing factors lead to his decline.

On 10/13/2019 at 9:45 AM, debluvscanucks said:

Did you watch the game?  I'm curious.  

Do you know the code about running up the score then parading around a rookie who just damaged an all star captain to prove his point?  There likely is one.

To add to this point Deb..  I would have to watch that part of the game over again but I seem to remember Granato double shifting Moore (at least 3 times) taunting Crawford and the Players to instigate an upheaval in the game.

Granato ..  a punk agitator himself .. now a Coach?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2