The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brashear Working at Timmies

Rate this topic

4 hours ago, BobbyClarke said:

Im sure he had a good time along the way, to go from NHL salary for 1000 games to broke you have to party pretty hard. 

Sorry this will be an unpopular comment.  Although I appreciate Donald’s time as a player, I have little sympathy for his situation.  When the vast majority of humans work their butts off to stay afloat and survive,  I can’t express sympathy for celebrities who had the world in their hands and blew it all in one way or another.  I dare say 99.9% of us would have given a lot to have the opportunity afforded Donald as a pro athlete.  Maybe concussion history played a role in bad decision making, but life goes on.  

Edited by sonoman
  • Upvote 3

34 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Sorry this will be an unpopular comment.  Although I appreciate Donald’s time as a player, I have no sympathy for his situation.  When the vast majority of humans work their butts off to stay afloat and survive,  I can’t express sympathy for celebrities who had the world in their hands and blew it all in one way or another.  I dare say 99.9% of us would have given a lot to have the opportunity afforded Donald as a pro athlete.  Maybe concussion history played a role in bad decision making, but life goes on.  

I agree with you. Particularly since the point of the article is about how far Brashear has fallen. The sad part is that no one feels sorry for the thousands of other Timmies employees that have never had the opportunities in life that Brashear did, yet we're supposed to feel super sympathetic for the guy. I don't get it. The guy blew his chance at a cushy life and now he lives like the vast majority of the population. Welcome to the real world, Brashear. 

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Pretty sure this was done in an era that no one talked about getting a financial adviser, or an accountant and lawyer. There has been a lot of boxers, football players that have earned a lot then blew it all. I'm glad he's at least working. One advantage of college players is they get a degree to fall back on when their playing career ends.

In the early NHL days, players would play in the winter. And in the summer months have regular jobs. CFL players usually have regular jobs in the offseason.

Brash was in the 1990's-2000's where players were making no where near the money they do now.

Even worse, a lot of guys were getting advice but getting robbed blind by their advisor.  This wasn't a particularly long time after Eagleson embezzled his victims.  Hockey players aren't usually sophisticated clients and there was little protection for them back then against unscrupulous financial advisors.  

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

This is sad. And the "journalists" should be ashamed of themselves for actually putting out an article like this. 

yah.. looks what's their angle? hoping some exposure will help get him a go fund me out something?... or more likely just click bait

1 hour ago, sonoman said:

Sorry this will be an unpopular comment.  Although I appreciate Donald’s time as a player, I have no sympathy for his situation.  When the vast majority of humans work their butts off to stay afloat and survive,  I can’t express sympathy for celebrities who had the world in their hands and blew it all in one way or another.  I dare say 99.9% of us would have given a lot to have the opportunity afforded Donald as a pro athlete.  Maybe concussion history played a role in bad decision making, but life goes on.  

Mental illness from concussions and drug and possibly alcohol abuse. You should have some sympathy. He's been in trouble for possession before and apparently racked up the legal fees. Actually read the article next time.

1 hour ago, sonoman said:

That's fine, however there is still no need to essentially put him on blast in a public article mocking his situation.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Mental illness from concussions and drug and possibly alcohol abuse. You should have some sympathy. He's been in trouble for possession before and apparently racked up the legal fees. Actually read the article next time.

I did read the article.  “... a former millionaire player” 

• Wat 1