The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] St. Louis Blues at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2019

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

22 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I didnt say they had a bad game.  It was evident they had a tougher time to play their style vs a big experienced team compared to bottom tier teams.  That's why they didn't score 5 again.  Binnington didn't make many awesome saves. The blues D were effective at taking away pt shots until QH got one. 

Overall they competed every shift, and deserved the point tonight.  Obviously Blues is the type of team that will be very tough to beat in a 7 game series.  It shows how far they came since last couple of yrs and they are getting closer to the top teams.  But to say they outplayed the blues in this game is incorrect.  The game vs Dux, yes.  

You mean the team we beat Oct. 17?

The refs let the Blues get away with a lot.  They weren't the big bad boys you describe...they knew we'd give them a good go and played hard.  It was a good game and it could have gone either way.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Or probably not even seen a game live

That doesn't even come close to actually playing the game either. You're coached to be in certain areas. Do certain things. A goalie charging out of his net when there isn't a teammate within 200' would be the most unnatural thing imaginable. 

• Upvote 3

Three things I learned this game.

1. If you have a good pk, clutch, hold, do whatever penalty you want. Kill the first five penalties and you'll get away with everything afterward. 

2. Virtanen is gonna be a beast in the playoffs.

3. Green is one hell of a stubborn coach. (k, kinda knew that one already)

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Credit where credit is due too, that St. Louis PK was hyper aggressive and it worked.

One would think that would warrant a different tactic. I really hope that the PP coach isn’t assuming each PK is the exact same. That first PP was embarrassing. 

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. That’s what Newell Brown has been doing for years. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Credit where credit is due too, that St. Louis PK was hyper aggressive and it worked.

A lot of credit should go to STL for that, but I don't think we were prepared for a hyper aggressive PK either way.

A hyper aggressive PK can actually work against you more often than not if you move the puck fast enough, which we are capable of doing. I think we may have gotten used to a more conservative PK like against the Kings, where puck movement along the perimeter isn't too hard, and weren't prepared for STL as a result. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Grape said:

I'm not a fan of arguing against my own favorite players, so I'm only gonna post a screencapture for my own argument's sake soon and people can all decide for themselves if Marky was at fault.

Marky was clearly upset with himself after the play, so I'd wager that he would agree with me on this one.

I just watched the replay like 10 times. The Blues player stopped skating hard after the puck before it even crossed the Canucks blue line; he was still only a few meters away from the puck as well. If he saw Marky going for it, the Blues easily would have beaten him to the puck and skated around Marky

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You mean the team we beat Oct. 17?

Was a shootout win that went on forever. 

That was a character win game coming back down 3-1.  Think it really gave nux belief that they can compete with the best.  But Blues are playing better now,  was on a 4 game win streak, now 5 and leading the West.   I think they are a level above nux still.  But that is not a knock on nux.  They have improved so much this yr and should be able to get into playoffs if they stay healthy enough. 

10 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I cannot understand why our power play isn't centered around Pettersson one timers. It's a no &^@#in brainer. It's like putting Ovechkin on the wrong side.. complety idiotic in my opinion. 

Its because pettersson is also our best passer with the best vison, using him as the trigger man makes our power play very stagnant.

Ovenhkin has one of the best set of men in Backstrom, as well as Kuzy, so they can afford for him to sit and wait for the puck to come to him.

11 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Not a great game despite the shot clock. Passing was sloppy compared to the Blues. They were far crisper but had more puck luck. Time to regroup on the road!

I thought our passes were incredibly crisp on the contrary.

In fact I thought we played best game of the year (along with 5-3 vs the Kings).

10 minutes ago, JoshuaGuy said:

I cannot understand why our power play isn't centered around Pettersson one timers. It's a no &^@#in brainer. It's like putting Ovechkin on the wrong side.. complety idiotic in my opinion. 

Its because pettersson is also our best passer with the best vison, using him as the trigger man makes our power play very stagnant.

Ovenhkin has one of the best set of men in Backstrom, as well as Kuzy, so they can afford for him to sit and wait for the puck to come to him.