The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Cory Schneider

HerrDrFunk

33 minutes ago, dontaylorforprez said:

Can I be the first to say before the turds chime in... Pass, there is no argument that would be legitimate in him coming back to Van! 

Have a a good day!

Expansion draft goalie requirements depending on if we end up trading markstrom prior to the expansion draft. 

He's a guy who would like to sign here and may expect to not really play.

Edited by Where's Wellwood

42 minutes ago, CanuckinEdm said:

not really a surprise he was the worst goalie in the league the last 2 years. I'm not sure what happened to him.

I remember him saying he had some sort of mental anxiety issue, when he played for us, that caused him to cramp up.  These goalies in the NHL are all fabulously gifted, but it's the mental game that separates the best from the others.  Look how Marky's play has been negatively impacted by his father's passing.  With a guy like Marky, he will recover from the troubles.  Schneider was saying he had a mental illness.  Maybe being the number one go to guy in Jersey (when the team expected to win, so there was actually pressure for him to perform as the true number one) was all just too much for him to deal with?  It's one thing to have Luongo supporting you.  And it's another to have no real pressure to win, because the team is rebuilding.  but over the past three seasons the Devils were in win mode, and Schneider must have been feeling that pressure that he never really had before.   He's a great guy, but when I heard him talk about his mental weakness, I thought that could be trouble for a number one goalie on a team with the pressure to win.  His skill is still there, but his brain is gone.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

There was a period, from something like December 2017 to February 2019 where he didn’t win one game. 

Time/injuries catch up to all of us. But this couldn’t have happened to a better guy. 

At least he cashed in when he got the chance

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember him saying he had some sort of mental anxiety issue, when he played for us, that caused him to cramp up.  These goalies in the NHL are all fabulously gifted, but it's the mental game that separates the best from the others.  Look how Marky's play has been negatively impacted by his father's passing.  With a guy like Marky, he will recover from the troubles.  Schneider was saying he had a mental illness.  Maybe being the number one go to guy in Jersey (when the team expected to win, so there was actually pressure for him to perform as the true number one) was all just too much for him to deal with?  It's one thing to have Luongo supporting you.  And it's another to have no real pressure to win, because the team is rebuilding.  but over the past three seasons the Devils were in win mode, and Schneider must have been feeling that pressure that he never really had before.   He's a great guy, but when I heard him talk about his mental weakness, I thought that could be trouble for a number one goalie on a team with the pressure to win.  His skill is still there, but his brain is gone.  

I also recall hearing about this, I remember reading this somewhere with a personal interview of his.

1 minute ago, mll said:

They are sending him down to try and help him get his game back on track.  He needs to play.  

Pretty safe move, I can't see anyone picking up that 6 mil salary. I hope they have someone down there that can rebuild his game. 

2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Really unfortunate that such a promising career is being cut short by hip injuries. I suspect there are very few on here that realize just how good his numbers were so let me give you a few.

Holds the Vancouver career GAA at 2.20

Holds the Vancouver career save% at 0.927

His first 6 full seasons in the NHL (2010 through 2015/16 season) he had a save % of 0.929, 0.937, 0.927, 0.921, 0.925 and 0.924. As of the end of the 2015/16 season Cory Schneider had the best career save% all time!

And as soon as there was the added pressure of being the number one guy on a team that had expectations of winning, Schneider caved to that pressure.  He's still got the same skills, but his brain can't handle the pressure of being the number one guy on a team that is supposed to win.  

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Somehow I don't envision many people clamoring for Schneider to be back in Vancouver. Not at that cap hit and his body of work over the last three years. 

Maybe if he was a UFA and the Canucks needed an established backup goalie for league minimum.  

But the way the Canucks seems geared to have a pipeline of goalies coming up to develop, there seems to be no place for him.  

Not sure why some of you guys feel bad for him..

He's making 6 mill USD per year for 3 more seasons playing a game for a living. 

Side note, I was amongst the very few who said he might get traded instead of Luongo. Good trade MG.

MG made good trades but his drafting was horrible.

• Upvote 1