The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Canuck has most exceeded your expectations so far?

Rate this topic

BrockBoester

Overachievers  

144 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

It kinda depends on what you mean by “overachiever”.

If we’re merely talking about players that have exceeded expectations, then Miller and Hughes would be at the top of my list. I figured Miller would be able to put up more points in a bigger role here, but I’m shocked at how seamlessly he’s integrated himself into the lineup. He’s probably been our best forward all season.

Hughes could very well be a borderline generational talent. We all expected him to be good, but the kid is legit having one of the best rookie seasons a defenseman has ever had. Somehow @Alflives was the only person with the foresight to predict just how good Hughes would be :lol:

I’d consider Gaudette and Leivo to be in the running as well.

If we’re talking about players that I don’t think have performed overly well, but are statistically “overachieving”, then I’d nominate Boeser and Pearson. Boeser really hasn’t been passing the eye test much this year, and yet he’s somehow statistically on pace for his best season yet.

Pearson has just been incredibly inconsistent, but if he were to continue his pace, He’d have his best season ever as well.

How about Eriksson who has a place on the team ahead of Baertschi and Goldobin?  Played along side Horvat and got his first goal.  Guy should have been off the team/bought out last June.  Should still be sent to Utica or bought out.  But, he has overachieved because he is still in the NHL.  Bizarro world. 

• Haha 2

im going with tim schaller  , did anyone think he was going to make the team out of camp ?   especially after being scratched  how many times last season , did any one see him playing this many games already ? I know I certainly didn't think  he was going to make the team and play this many games this season , so yep he overachieved just getting this far into the season

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

In my opinion, we've had several surprises and bright spots in this season so far.

There are many players that, one could claim, have had a much better start to the season than was expected in the summer. And it's great to see that some of our newcomers are among those names.

These are the players I see fitting that description, in one way or another:

Myers - SO many people were crying about giving this guy 6 mill with term - and again, in my opinion, he's been an excellent addition to our top 4 defense. Yes he has his off nights, but he puts in great minutes and has that massive height/reach advantage going for him. I say, well worth the contract we offered him.

Benn - This guy is ferocious. What a great, cheap signing. Love seeing him dish out the punishment on the back-end (and he's got a mean beard to boot)

Hughes - Man. Can anyone really have expected that this guy would be THIS good, right off the bat? I have to say, I underestimated him just a little.

Leivo - Another great mid-six forward on a nice cheap contract that produces more than a dozen Erikssons. I really hope we re-sign this dude because he's great in his role.

Miller - Holy hell how stupid must all the people that were complaining about giving up a 1st rounder for this guy feel today. Just take a look at the JT Miller trade thread - it's a hilarious, albeit long, read. What a great acquisition this was!

Demko - Also a player that's been having his bad nights here and there (like Myers), but when he's on his game, wow, what a treat to watch. And he JUST turned 24 years old. Let's lock this guy up long-term, GMJB.

Gaudette - From training camp, to a frustrating stretch of sitting out games in the NHL, to finally hitting the ice and continuing to play UNREAL in the big leagues - Adam Gaudette better be here to stay because the sky is the limit for him, as far as I'm concerned.

Sutter - Expectations for ol' Brandon Sutter were pretty low considering his recent injury history. But he's been "real good"!

Eriksson - How this guy is not leading the voting for Pacific all-star team captain is mind boggling. His work ethic and pure hockey skill are unmatched league-wide!

Reveal hidden contents

:bigblush:

If I could pick only one I'd have to say JT Miller although I had high expectations for him to begin with - so to surpass that, for me, is a very pleasant surprise.

Benn and Demko have been way better than I thought they'd be too, and Gaudette and Hughes have even surprised me a little (although they are both very high-potential guys so maybe not as surprising).

So, I ask you all, which one of these players do you think has MOST exceeded your personal expectations from the off-season?

Hands down Hughes.  

Only Alf can say that Hughes dominating the NHL as a rookie is something he expected.  

Hughes is also doing it in pure canuck luck fashion.  Behind Makar and is only brought up as an afterthought in the media.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Went with Hughes, but Miller was a close second. Gaudette would probably be my third option, since I had him in Utica for most of the year, which he's clearly too good for.

Yeah, the first name that comes to mind is Miller. But if I answer honestly, I didn't set any expectations for Miller before the season, because I was unfamiliar with him to be honest. Don't watch a lot of Tampa games.  †here were no expectations for him to exceed.

It has to be Quinn Hughes. He is playing with the confidence of a 3 year vet out of the gate. And not just any vet, one with the same creative dominance he had in junior, even against the bigger, skilled NHL opponents. Who does that?  Even his defensive gaffes, which were predicted because of his concentration on offence, are few and far between.

Its just what JB needed.  He made some bad mistakes early with trades, signings and picks, early on. But that three years in a row of picking a Calder finalist,  has saved his job.  No way we'd even have Miller right now if those picks hadn't worked out well. JB wouldn't have been able to make that sacrifice. I think those rookie successes also helped to draw free agents to Vancouver. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, BrockBoester said:

In my opinion, we've had several surprises and bright spots in this season so far.

There are many players that, one could claim, have had a much better start to the season than was expected in the summer. And it's great to see that some of our newcomers are among those names.

These are the players I see fitting that description, in one way or another:

Myers - SO many people were crying about giving this guy 6 mill with term - and again, in my opinion, he's been an excellent addition to our top 4 defense. Yes he has his off nights, but he puts in great minutes and has that massive height/reach advantage going for him. I say, well worth the contract we offered him.

Benn - This guy is ferocious. What a great, cheap signing. Love seeing him dish out the punishment on the back-end (and he's got a mean beard to boot)

Hughes - Man. Can anyone really have expected that this guy would be THIS good, right off the bat? I have to say, I underestimated him just a little.

Leivo - Another great mid-six forward on a nice cheap contract that produces more than a dozen Erikssons. I really hope we re-sign this dude because he's great in his role.

Miller - Holy hell how stupid must all the people that were complaining about giving up a 1st rounder for this guy feel today. Just take a look at the JT Miller trade thread - it's a hilarious, albeit long, read. What a great acquisition this was!

Demko - Also a player that's been having his bad nights here and there (like Myers), but when he's on his game, wow, what a treat to watch. And he JUST turned 24 years old. Let's lock this guy up long-term, GMJB.

Gaudette - From training camp, to a frustrating stretch of sitting out games in the NHL, to finally hitting the ice and continuing to play UNREAL in the big leagues - Adam Gaudette better be here to stay because the sky is the limit for him, as far as I'm concerned.

Sutter - Expectations for ol' Brandon Sutter were pretty low considering his recent injury history. But he's been "real good"!

Eriksson - How this guy is not leading the voting for Pacific all-star team captain is mind boggling. His work ethic and pure hockey skill are unmatched league-wide!

Reveal hidden contents

:bigblush:

If I could pick only one I'd have to say JT Miller although I had high expectations for him to begin with - so to surpass that, for me, is a very pleasant surprise.

Benn and Demko have been way better than I thought they'd be too, and Gaudette and Hughes have even surprised me a little (although they are both very high-potential guys so maybe not as surprising).

So, I ask you all, which one of these players do you think has MOST exceeded your personal expectations from the off-season?

Thankfully I was one of the ones who was stoked at JT playing here and I knew he'd be awesome and make the media and naysayers look like idiots and JB nailed it over the fence with that one, for a nobody goalie and a conditional first was larceny.. an absolute steal!

• Upvote 3

I am not sure if the original question of "overachieving" was meant to be taken literally or if the OP just meant the biggest surprises as per the poll name itself. I'll go with the latter for my winner.

Hughes: I knew he would be good. Really good. Though I didn't anticipate his entry into the NHL would be so seamless, I didn't expect his defensive game to be so polished, nor his size such a lack of an issue. So for me, Hughes takes it.

Miller: I wanted Miller for some time. But I expected less from him. He has even more a complete game than I realized. I hate to say it, but if any guy is truly overachieving (as per thread title) would say it is him. Though I'm loving it!

There are other honourable mentions, including Sutter, who most seemed to think was washed up. I think for the games he has been healthy, he has looked good in his role. Hopefully this latest injury doesn't derail him again.

Edited by kloubek
  • Upvote 1

Was originally going to pick Miller but, honestly, I feel the team picked him up knowing what they'd be getting and that he's just enjoying his time to shine.  But he could have been my pick, easily.  Such a stud and one of my favourites.

Went with Hockey Gaud.  Guy could have just given up on this thing by now but he's used every opportunity to prove himself (and contribute).  He's a beaut...he has a great attitude.  A bit more learning/experience and he's doing to be something even more special.  I know he was projected to be good but I think it's how he's handled pressure situations and come through with clutch goals and plays that had me pick him.  He gets bounced around but it doesn't seem to rattle him...he uses it as fuel to show what he's made of.

My son told me Hughes was a magician before he even hit the ice here (he bought the first 43 jersey available at The Team Store).  So I was anticipating great things from him and he hasn't disappointed.  His skating is unbelievable and he handles himself like a seasoned veteran out there.  People who doubt players based on size really need to learn to stop doing that.  Gotta be able to catch these slicksters.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Overachieving implies they are doing better than what was thought possible. It also gives the impression that it's unsustainable.

Gaudette won the Hobey Baker Award for a reason. It's just took him a bit to transition to the NHL level. You could see from the start he had the defensive side down. 

Now the offence has kicked in. With experience his face-offs will improve too. Pretty damn good for a 5th round pick. 

JT Miller has been one of the best trades this team has seen in years. But he had 56 points with the Rangers in 2016-17, and 47 Points last year. In addition to being a solid team guy. I have rarely seen a guy that plays so well in every zone on the ice. And he will be the guy that goes into the boards and comes out with the puck. He's also a great role model to guys like Virtanen, Gaudette and even Boeser to a degree. Now is he overachieving saying he will get 80 points? Maybe. He's just a joy to watch much like Petey.

Hughes. The only thing that is surprising is much like Pettersson last year, he seems to have transitioned to the NHL so well, and looks more like a 10 year vet than a rookie. 

He might hit a wall 2/3's into the season, much like Petey, I don't think he's used to playing so many games. I low balled my expectations for him as it was his first year. 

But truly the sky is the limit for Huggy Bear. 

Pretty sure Benning is lighting up a cigar somewhere saying. "I love it when a plan comes together". 

Had to upvote for The A-Team reference.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I can't vote Hughes in this because I spent months reading CDC posters tell me that he was basically the next Paul Coffey.  So Hughes is exactly as advertised haha. Miller is great but I had no expectations one way or another.  People just didn't seem to know enough about him.

My vote goes to Gaudette!  The guy has been fantastic and almost nobody saw it coming!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I prefer "exceeded expectations" rather than "overacheiver".

Yes, to all that mentioned this - I was going for overachiever without the negative connotations usually associated with the term.

So "biggest surprise" or "exceeding expectations" is more what I was shooting for! I will change the thread title just to remove any confusion.

Thanks for everyone that has weighed in so far, this has been a great read :)