The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Athletic Grades 2017 Draft

Rate this topic

Yung1

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

2017 was a very good Draft for Benning, but I also think 2018 and 2019 were close seconds.

2018 got us Hughes, Woo, Madden and Utunen

2019 got us Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht and Silovs

Who will Jim get in 2020?

The only reason why giving up the 1st round pick is not the end of the world is that JB has been pretty much hitting on every 2nd round pick he made.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

The only reason why giving up the 1st round pick is not the end of the world is that JB has been pretty much hitting on every 2nd round pick he made.

I think Benning is great at the draft but the jury is still out on that. The only NHLer he’s gotten out of the second round so far is Demko. Maybe if he hadn’t traded away seconds like candy we could say that but right now those guys are still question marks.

• Wat 3

2 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I think Benning is great at the draft but the jury is still out on that. The only NHLer he’s gotten out of the second round so far is Demko. Maybe if he hadn’t traded away seconds like candy we could say that but right now those guys are still question marks.

We also got Bear out of it - which had played more games then what a second is considered a bust.   Again how many second did he trade in total?  Vey...well good try.  Not what I'd call throwing candy away. 

• Cheers 2

It was a great Draft.

Jimbo had sights on Makar. Which is also a great player. We got Petey who’s amazing franchise #1 center.

2017 Draft was the Canucks looking for skill.

2019 Draft was the Canucks looking for motors and grit. We lucked out and got tons of that in the 2019 draft plus a bonus in top end skill in Hoglander and the Russian monster Podkolzin.

2017 drafty Rathbone I’m excited see as a Canuck hopefully soon after his College is finished.

go Canucks Goo

love Draft day it’s hockey Christmas with gifts

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Ya but then you also get an NHLer out of the 5th round.  AG! FTW!

23 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Adam Guadette be like:

2kvdsg.jpg

23 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Lets not forget 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds. Some of these guys look fantastic, possible NHLer's.

3rd round; Madden

4th round; Rathbone

5th round; Gaudette, Focht, Utunen

and we could have some WJC players out of rounds 6 & 7, though they may not project NHLer's, yet, but they are valuable for their country at the U20 level. Plasek 6th, Costmar 7th. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, NUCKER67 said:

2017 was a very good Draft for Benning, but I also think 2018 and 2019 were close seconds.

2018 got us Hughes, Woo, Madden and Utunen

2019 got us Podkolzin, Hoglander, Focht and Silovs

Who will Jim get in 2020?

Benning seems to be trending in the right direction and hopefully Greens' evolution as a coach will also follow but he seems to be running of ideas (based on my untrained eye, it seems obvious when we play a team that is more structured).  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Wat 1

On 12/12/2019 at 2:58 PM, IBatch said:

We also got Bear out of it - which had played more games then what a second is considered a bust.   Again how many second did he trade in total?  Vey...well good try.  Not what I'd call throwing candy away. 

Ditto, context matters and JB is trending the right way !!!

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Benning seems to be trending in the right direction and hopefully Greens' evolution as a coach will also follow but he seems to be running of ideas (based on my untrained eye, it seems obvious when we play a team that is more structured).  

Our slow stationary style looked bush league against the Canes. Did you notice even on the PP the Canes were constantly cycling, trying to get open in a shooting position? Canucks just stand in one spot on both the PP and the PK. The only reason we have such a great PP% so far is because our first unit is stacked with world class talent. Imagine how phenomenal it could be with a better coach and a better system. 

1 hour ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Our slow stationary style looked bush league against the Canes. Did you notice even on the PP the Canes were constantly cycling, trying to get open in a shooting position? Canucks just stand in one spot on both the PP and the PK. The only reason we have such a great PP% so far is because our first unit is stacked with world class talent. Imagine how phenomenal it could be with a better coach and a better system. 

Ditto, like I stated, when we play against teams that are more structured it does seem obvious but the talent does cover up alot..

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Ditto, like I stated, when we play against teams that are more structured it does seem obvious but the talent does cover up alot..

We just need our goalie to out play his opposite.  Our talent is as good, if not better than, as a lot of team if not most. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...